Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #1

Bicycle carrier on White Hawk 24RKS

We are almost ready to leave cold Canada for warmer temps in Florida and like to take two bicycles with us mounted on a carrier to the back bumper of our trailer. But the carrier with the bikes obstructed the tail lights and the license plate, so it needed some modification. Click below at the link to our travel blog and see what we did!

Marlene and Benno's Odysseys on Land and Water
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #2

Nice job! Are you not worry about adding leverage to the bike rack ? The weight of the bike mounted high like that on an extension mounted on the bumber would make ME worry, but hey everything worry me so 😉

Obviously its not a problem if the bumper has been reinforced , anyway have a great trip downsouth dear canucks 😉

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

Benno, can you share with me how you like to have a rear kitchen? any pros and cons about it ? Is the stuff moving a lots in the cupboards and or drawers ?

Old 11-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

I like the bumper mount. It gets the weight more above the bumper rather than towards the rear. These bumpers aren't as strong as most think. The welds can easily break when gear weight is further from the trailer. I tend to be overly cautious. I have a Kuat bike rack for my truck but I won't put it on my trailers bumper hitch. I plan on ordering a full reciever that mounts to the frame of the trailer. Me personally if I were going from CA to FL I'd probably lay my bike in a blanket on the bed. Can't trust these nitwits that like to tailgate
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

Looks neat. Please provide us with some updates later on how well it works. I've read that the bumpers can't hold much weight and so we've been afraid to try this route for our bikes. (Although I see that people do it all the time!)

We usually put the bikes in the bed of the truck, but are taking ours down south. We can't get the cover on the truck bed with them inside and for security reasons, want to keep the truck be covered.

Next year, we will probably get something welded to the trailer frame to hold a bike rack. Enjoy Florida!
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
Looks neat. Please provide us with some updates later on how well it works. I've read that the bumpers can't hold much weight and so we've been afraid to try this route for our bikes. (Although I see that people do it all the time!)

We usually put the bikes in the bed of the truck, but are taking ours down south. We can't get the cover on the truck bed with them inside and for security reasons, want to keep the truck be covered.

Next year, we will probably get something welded to the trailer frame to hold a bike rack. Enjoy Florida!
Ykcamom, we had the same problem with the bikes last year and we managed to fit them under the tonneau cover....all we had to do is removing 1 pedal, and to turn the handle bar parallel to the bikes, so that make them flat, then we placed few moving blanket between them and the floor of the truck bed. works well for this special trip. Now I am tinkering about a truck cap ( topper ) but I'm really not sure if its a good idea , they are not cheap either

Old 11-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #7

I hear you; yes the 4” square tubing, which is used to make up the rear bumper, is not heavy schedule tubing we all would prefer. It is thin wall tubing; the manufacturer is trying to save weight. I looked at the welds and noticed a good welding job. All what could happen is that the bumper breaks off at the welds. The welding causes hardening of the material and the flexing during travel could cause cracks and …., well let us not think about it. If any of you guys see a couple of nice bikes with cover still attached to a White Hawk trailer rear bumper laying on the curb of the I–75 south close to Christmas, it is ours ☺. I am confident it will not happen. The carrier can hold 90 Ibs, the two bicycles are less than that, and I guess 60 lbs. But sh.t happens. I will inspect the mounted hitch frequently and will keep you all posted.
Originally the plan was to take the bicycles with removed front wheels inside the crew cab of the truck, but the two Doxies with portable kennel demanding a change in plans, the bicycles now have to take the ride on the outside.
homer1959, we think the RKS is a fine layout and bounce or vibration can be taken in account, if there is any. We had worse experience while taking our boat around Cape Horn, where I was thrown out of my bunk including the mattress at least three times during my off watch, Marlene was running the boat into 30 knots of wind after the rounding of the Horn. The battery acid was coming out of the vent holes while the boat was bouncing around; the sea was more than a little lumpy. No china broke or came out of the cupboards. For our White Hawk RKS, Marlene cut anti slip mats to size for shelves and drawers, as well as some to layer between dinner plates and other things. The hanging cabinets we don’t entrust during travel with weight, because the wall is fiberglass, foam and thin plywood. The there stored china will ride during travel closer to the floor, cans, jars and heavy food items as well. The cutlery drawers at the 24 RKS are under the fridge, close to the floor and have now after market dividers inside. My honey had a lovely time to search for all these things, believe me. The RKS is a nice design and suits us just fine. By the time we reach Florida, we know a lot more and will write about it on our blog.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Safe travel, enjoy I'm jealous. Maybe a ratchet strap under the bike cover to help stabilize the rack for the long trip. Yes I'm over thinking it but my bike cost me 4K and I'm not allowed to spend that ever again if you know what I mean. If she only knew 4K is considered cheap in the bike world. My MB is worth more than my TV Go figure....lmao
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #9

Hello everyone, we are enjoying sunny Florida and happily report that the bicycle carrier
has not fallen off the White Hawk 24RKS during the trip south and it looks as good as the day we installed it. I checked the trailer's rear bumper welds and they look fine, no stress cracks etc.
Regards to you all, Benno