Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Big Dog's in trailer while driving ?????

So what is everybody's thought on this , of coarse keeping at least a few window's cracked open for cross ventilation , and have them in a certain area not just roaming around the trailer , both dogs are over 80 lbs , I no with a small 10 lb dog I would keep in the truck , but these dogs are nice size and will be tight in the truck

Thank you
mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #2

A lot of bouncing around takes place inside the trailer, don't think allowing them loose would be a good idea. Perhaps in a cage which would also protect them from something falling out of a cabinet and from being flung around. JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #3

We debated this for a while, its a hotly debated topic on the RV Forums, and we ultimately went with crated in the back of the truck. If it's to hot or to long for the back of truck they sit out that trip, which has only happend a couple times.

This is the only reason we don't have a 5r right now. When we sold the orignal TT and were looking for the current we seriously considered a 5r, but the loss of the truck bed for our dog was the deciding factor.

Personally, I think if you crate them and secure the crate in the trailer then it will be fine. You still need to be congnizant of the same elements for the back of the truck, namely heat of cold.

I might add, when we made the original decision we had two dogs. A 60 LB Boxer and 95 lb Boxer/Mastif Mix. The boxer lost a long and hard fought battel with cancer, so now we are only hauling one dog and crate.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #4

Thank you ,
I am looking at a bunk bed trailer , and when I had my class A we set the bottom bunk up with a big cage and the dogs stayed in there when driving
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

Is it legal?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Is it legal?

Murff
That's what im wondering?
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
That's what im wondering?
At worst I think it would be a state to state thing, there are states where people can ride in a travel trailer (please note I am not advocating thats a good idea), cant imagine pets would be an issue in those states. See the link below

RVSafely.com

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #8

Hi All,
I don't think it's a good idea. First as others said there is a lot of bouncing happening in a TT even if you have a WDH set at optimum. Also if you're in the southwest states like Arizona the heat would be too brutal. Crate them in the back of the truck if it's hot wet a sheet and cover the crate it will act like a swamp cooler. I have a Tundra Double Cab as well and save the back seat for our Lab/Sharpai mix. He is 65 lbs.
Jhnbggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #9
Site Team

I had one of my Wi-Fi cameras that pan in the TT and we were watching how bad it bounces around while traveling, there is no way we would subject our 2 dogs and parrot to those conditions. The back bunk area was by far the worst place to be, as everything was being bounced around. The two forward facing drawers used to open and close until I secured them for travel. It was unbelievable when we were traveling at 55mph on a road that was not smooth. If a person was back there they would have their head over the Jon heaving. The scene from the Lucy movie over did it, but at times not by much. To me it would fall under animal cruelty....
Don
If I remember, in Sept when we head back home, I will make a video and post it. We put up the back seats in the truck and they travel in their crates back there
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #10

I never found any laws preventing it when I researched. Livestock is frequently moved in trailers, both bumper pull and 5r. As was mentioned in some states, with two-way communication, passengers can ride in trailers equipped with safety belts. Not sure why pets in proper crates would be an issue.

We personally just felt better about crates in the back of the truck.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #11

We had 2 80+ pound golden retrievers. We would never have considered putting them in the 5er (when we had a 5er). They were cared for with the same consideration we would give a child...........well for the most part.
Those closed up TTs and 5ers build up heat inside while on the road. Even if you are comfortable in your pickup, they might be heat stressed. And what if you travel with them in the trailer and the weather becomes hotter than planned? Make room for them in the truck.
JMHO
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #12

Do this. Get into your camper and have a friend tow it for an hour or so. Then you will know exactly how your dogs will feel about it.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #13

That area is reserved for the in laws, NOT my dogs.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #14

If you haven't seen this movie, here is the "trailer" for it.

Watch segment at 1:42!

Great movie!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #15

I've ridden in the back of a TT, it wasn't so bad. That being said, I think they'd be a little freaked out about it. My dogs ride in the car.
trailerCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Is it legal?

Murff
I would think it legal as horse trailers are allowed and they are towed also.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #17

Most trailers for towing animals have proper suspension with shock absorbers. Most TT's dont have shock absorbers so i would think if you were at the front of the trailer riding mostly on the trucks suspension i would think it would not be as bad but anywhere from the wheels back must be like a bouncy castle. Guessing the bigger and heavier trailers would be better. Might be opening the door to a green dog.
If you have a 5er and want to keep them in the bed you can still get a good size dog crate under the overhang. Not sure what the turbulance would be like though. I have had the plastic level squares fly out of there once. Never thought that would happen.
I fold up the seats and put big camo blankets (from Cabellas, they are awsome) over the seat and floor so the dog hair removal process later doesnt take two weeks
Old 08-10-2015, 11:21 PM   #18

In the great state of MO humans are allowed to ride in the trailer. We camp with people with disabilities that the DW or DH will ride on bed when they are not feeling the best. Glad we still have personal freedom here in the center of the country. BTW lots of dogs ride in the trailer in this neck of the woods.
B & W Companion

Central MO
MOCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:58 AM   #19

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. Now, keep in mind I do have a Jay Flight Swift SLX, so it's pretty small. However, after a trip, anything that is not stored in a cupboard usually ends up getting tossed all over the place. It looks like a tornado hit in there after a road trip. I would just be worried that the dogs would get bounced everywhere.
reneegavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneegavin View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't do it. Now, keep in mind I do have a Jay Flight Swift SLX, so it's pretty small. However, after a trip, anything that is not stored in a cupboard usually ends up getting tossed all over the place. It looks like a tornado hit in there after a road trip. I would just be worried that the dogs would get bounced everywhere.
I agree. I have a 34 foot trailer and anything loose gets tossed all over the place, especially in the rear half of the trailer. And it will get quite hot this time of year.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote