Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #1

Big trip

We [my little bride of 40 years and I] are planning our first big trip this summer. I have never taken a vacation for more than a few days so this is it. We have reservations at Blue Bell campground at Custer State Park for four days In July then we drop down to Curt Gowdy State Park outside of Cheyenne Wyoming. Today was the first day I could make reservations there [120 days out]. Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo has always been on my bucket list so we will stay there for a week taking in all the sights. We are planning on three days to get there and just enjoy the trip. When we leave Cheyenne we will most likely go visit Raton, NM for a short visit and then to Palo Duro Canyon working our way home with no time frame. Normally we don't make reservations but I understand reservations are really needed at this time frame and I wanted to just enjoy the area and not hunt a place to camp.When we get to Palo Duro we still have about a week to work our way back to West Virginia. Love this semi-retired life! Any helpful opinions appreciated. Happy trails.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

I'm the same way. Plan way ahead and reserve campgrounds ahead of the game. Makes for a more relaxed trip knowing you have a site available.

I've driven as many as 700 miles a day or as few as 250 towing my travel trailer.

On occasion I have stopped without reservations, depending on what area I'm in and the relationship to tourist overload.

Did a 6 week road trip last summer through Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado and Utah hitting all the national parks and spots in between. Had to reserve spots way ahead.

Had a few days where we didn't know where we would be, but still got a site. Maybe lucky on that.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
We [my little bride of 40 years and I] are planning our first big trip this summer. I have never taken a vacation for more than a few days so this is it. We have reservations at Blue Bell campground at Custer State Park for four days In July then we drop down to Curt Gowdy State Park outside of Cheyenne Wyoming. Today was the first day I could make reservations there [120 days out]. Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo has always been on my bucket list so we will stay there for a week taking in all the sights. We are planning on three days to get there and just enjoy the trip. When we leave Cheyenne we will most likely go visit Raton, NM for a short visit and then to Palo Duro Canyon working our way home with no time frame. Normally we don't make reservations but I understand reservations are really needed at this time frame and I wanted to just enjoy the area and not hunt a place to camp.When we get to Palo Duro we still have about a week to work our way back to West Virginia. Love this semi-retired life! Any helpful opinions appreciated. Happy trails.
Download an app called RV Parky to your phone if you are going to make part of your run without reservations. It will give you good park information as you get close to where ever you decide to stop for the night.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

There is a campground just off the interstate on the top of Raton pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
Download an app called RV Parky to your phone if you are going to make part of your run without reservations. It will give you good park information as you get close to where ever you decide to stop for the night.
^^This^^ the wife and I have a trip plan also and going on a long trip this September, this is our first long trip and don't know how long we going to drive but we did made reservation at the place we going.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

Perhaps I've missed something, but I've been in Raton, NM several times and not found much worth staying for. Overnight, not bad place, but... did I miss something I should of done there ?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #7

It's a beautiful place and a nice place to relax. Plenty of sight seeing to do.

6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

We visited Palo Duro twice in 2016 - mid-March and early-November - because we like it so much. It was warm during the day on both trips, but I can only imagine what it will be like in July/August.

The campgrounds are on the valley floor - it is an awesome drive down into the canyon - and to get to the most remote loop (Mesquite) is about a 15-20 minute drive from the entrance.

Highly recommend investing in the Texas State Park Annual Pass - it is around $70 but it saves you the daily entrance fee of $5.00 per person, and you get a couple of half price camping fees credits. It is good for a year at all Texas State Parks.

The town of Canyon is about 10 mins to the West of the entrance for supplies.

There are surprisingly good cell and TV signals down in the canyon as well !?!
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Perhaps I've missed something, but I've been in Raton, NM several times and not found much worth staying for. Overnight, not bad place, but... did I miss something I should of done there ?
Not really, I raced horses there years ago and still got a couple friends in the area.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAjax View Post
We visited Palo Duro twice in 2016 - mid-March and early-November - because we like it so much. It was warm during the day on both trips, but I can only imagine what it will be like in July/August.

The campgrounds are on the valley floor - it is an awesome drive down into the canyon - and to get to the most remote loop (Mesquite) is about a 15-20 minute drive from the entrance.

Highly recommend investing in the Texas State Park Annual Pass - it is around $70 but it saves you the daily entrance fee of $5.00 per person, and you get a couple of half price camping fees credits. It is good for a year at all Texas State Parks.

The town of Canyon is about 10 mins to the West of the entrance for supplies.

There are surprisingly good cell and TV signals down in the canyon as well !?!
Love, Love, Love Palo Duro Canyon! The kids had a Great time there. Also, there is a really good Butcher near by: Edes Custom Meats - Home - Edes Meats We way overindulged here and brought home a bunch of meat!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Love, Love, Love Palo Duro Canyon! The kids had a Great time there. Also, there is a really good Butcher near by: Edes Custom Meats - Home - Edes Meats We way overindulged here and brought home a bunch of meat!

What time of year did you go and for how long? We normally go to Davis Mountains state park in august. We stay for a week but Palo duro would be tough without full hook up

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
If you all were in Palo Duro Canyon just a few weeks later, you could have seen the musical "TEXAS" in the amphitheater at the state park. Spectacular!!!
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
What time of year did you go and for how long? We normally go to Davis Mountains state park in august. We stay for a week but Palo duro would be tough without full hook up

We were there in May for a 3 or 4 day weekend trip (I can't remember)? I had the blue tote and only had to dump the gray water 1 time. Also had the in-laws with us on that trip.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
We were there in May for a 3 or 4 day weekend trip (I can't remember)? I had the blue tote and only had to dump the gray water 1 time. Also had the in-laws with us on that trip.

Wow, your kids/family aren't water hogs like mine are [emoji3]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Wow, your kids/family aren't water hogs like mine are [emoji3]

Oh they are...but when we don't have full hookups I set a timer and tell them that's all the water they can use!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #16

In Raton I'd recommend Sugarite Canyon SP. You can camp at the lower portion of the park and have electric/water or dry camp up around 8000' on another loop. We passed through there twice on a trip and dry camped up top both nights(one night at time). Very pretty and peaceful. Here's the view from the campsite.

2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote