Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2020, 06:20 AM   #1

Bigger TT

Hi started a thread asking this same question and it didn't post sorry if it repeats!

I have a new Jay Feather 24RL and we love it! Have been out a dozen times and after sitting a few other s this year we are thinking it would be nice to have more space and looking at perhaps a 27 or 28 footer maybe 29!
I have have a NEW GMC 1500 with a 6.2 motor it's a beast! I don't want to get another truck if we go bigger!
Has anyone else gone through this and buy bigger and regret it? Is the juice worth the squeeze? Would like to get some input please!
thanks
Rick
Ranger Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:05 AM   #2

What is the Payload on your "Beast"? That will come from the yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb. That will be a starting point for what you can tow but more information is needed for better guidance...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #3
Site Team

You will regret the purchase of a larger unit if it limits you in the places you travel. If you don't camp in areas that have size limits, then you should be fine. If you do, then I wouldn't buy anything larger at this point, especially with the increased demand for camping sites due the increase of new RV owners right now.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Rick,

To minimize the 'regret syndrome' I would take your GMC 1500 to a CAT scale ($9) under loaded conditions (full fuel, passengers, cargo) and weigh it. Subtract the CAT scale weight from your GMC 1500's specified GVWR...., the remaining weight is your actual "available" payload capacity to support a TT's loaded tongue weight, WDH weight, and any additional weight not accounted for at the CAT scale.

When looking at new TT's figure a 13% to 15% range of a TT's specified GVWR as the maximum loaded tongue weight range of the TT in question. This will give you a worst case scenario but some TT's don't offer much CCC and loaded TT weights approaching their respective GVWR aren't uncommon. Everybody has different loading habits.

Also, don't use/reference Jayco published UVW's web site, brochures, etc.. For an accurate "as-shipped" UVW refer to the yellow sticker attached to the side of the TT model in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
snip......Has anyone else gone through this and buy bigger and regret it? Is the juice worth the squeeze?,,,,,snip
A recent JOF thread the OP came to the following conclusion and stated....; "Next time: buy a smaller trailer or a bigger truck".

Source thread: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...e-77296-3.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #5

Thanks guys!
Bob I will plan to do that! Other good point is what RV lots look like right now very low to empty inventory! In turn supply in demand has impacted pricing!
Big smiles on the dealership's faces! The beauty of my Jay Flight 24RL she is light and we do love the floor plan! I better just keep my wife out of other TT's
Ranger Rick is offline   Reply With Quote