Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
My only concern would be if you are near the max for tongue weight as 2 bikes and the rack could add over 100 pounds to the tongue weight.

I have one mounted on a trailer hitch I installed on the back of our EAGLE and the only problem is lifting them up to mount the bikes.. will be looking at one of those that mount on the rear in a bike tray (bumper height).. should be easier to mount the bikes.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Don, do you have a receiver mounted bike rack on the back of your BHBE ? Did you have it installed aftermarket ? Is it welded or bolt-on ?

We have the Jayco bike tray and are very disappointed with it. Jayco should be embarrassed to call it a bike tray. We like that it slides out of the way when not in use, but it is a real chore to mount the bikes on the tray so they don't rub and get damaged. There is simply nothing to keep the upper portion of the bikes stabilized. The extra 10 to 15 minutes per bike (X3 bikes) to wrap with pool noodles and zip ties followed by ratchet straps could be significantly reduced with a half decent receiver mounted bike rack. This would also have the added benefit that you could mount it on the TV if you wanted to transport them to an area to explore on bike.

This is definitely on our to do list, but has not yet reached the top of the list yet. If there is something that bolts on in place of the tray, would change it out immediately.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #22
Site Team

[QUOTE=Ottawasteve;384290]Don, do you have a receiver mounted bike rack on the back of your BHBE ? Did you have it installed aftermarket ? Is it welded or bolt-on ? [/
Hi Don,

I currently have a bike rack that mounts into a 2" receiver that I built, as Jayco said that I should not mount any bike racks on the 4x4 rear bumper. When you look closely you will see why, not meant to carry a lot of weight. Picture below shows it.

If you are handy, or you can have a professional do the work I have attached the pictures of the rear trailer hitch assembly that I made/welded. I also included the drawing that I used to make it.

Your TT will also have a frame cross member just in front of the rear bumper, see picture below. If you make your own or have someone make it for you it should be bolted into the cross-member for most of the support. It has been going on 4 years now and still solid, although I still need to remove it and have it powder coated... not the number one thing on my priority list.

Also here is an Amazon link for the different types that I am looking at. If you want a parts list let me know.

Or search "bike rack for rv" on Amazon

A lot of different types/prices...

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Bike Rack - Bracket - 4.jpg   Bike Rack - Bracket - 3.jpg   Bike Rack - Bracket Drawing.jpg   BIKE RACK - Trailer hitch.png   Bike Rack - Bracket - 5.jpg  

Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #23

I also been wanting to do something but dont want to weld on a new trailer, has anyone used a front mount hitch on a truck, i already have a 4 bike carrier, 2 kids 2 adult bikes, any pics?
Old 03-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #24

I had a fabrication shop cut off the original bumper of my 2012 26BH. He welded on a 1/8 " thick steel bumper and also reinforced the cross member frame of the trailer. He then cut a hole thru the center of the bumper, put the receiver unit thru and up against the frame in the back behind the bumper. Welded the receiver to the bumper and to the reinforced frame. He then Welded an eye between the receiver and the frame. We carried 5 bikes with no problem. Now, we have a 28BHBE that came with a receiver bolted to the frame. Our modified 5 bike rack fits this also.

If you want photos, please contact me and I will send photos of the bumper setup of the 26BH.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I had a fabrication shop cut off the original bumper of my 2012 26BH. He welded on a 1/8 " thick steel bumper and also reinforced the cross member frame of the trailer. He then cut a hole thru the center of the bumper, put the receiver unit thru and up against the frame in the back behind the bumper. Welded the receiver to the bumper and to the reinforced frame. He then Welded an eye between the receiver and the frame. We carried 5 bikes with no problem. Now, we have a 28BHBE that came with a receiver bolted to the frame. Our modified 5 bike rack fits this also.

If you want photos, please contact me and I will send photos of the bumper setup of the 26BH.
Here is a photo:

Attached Thumbnails
Finished.jpg  

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote