Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 4
Bike mount

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have a 28 DSBH that we bought beginning of July and me and the wife absolutely love it, we've already been camping for 2 weeks in it. But now that we are camping a lot more we need activities to entertain the little one ( 1 year old son). So my question is does anyone have a bike mount and if so what are you useing. I'm leaning towards the rear bumper mount but also saw some front mounts that go above the propane tanks. Interested to hear your opinions. TIA.
__________________

Dgonc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:58 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CANADA
Posts: 368
Bike mount

We mount inside the trailer. Take a look in the mods forum, I recently posted pics. Other people have done similar to what we did, but use the dinette in its flat state as the place to mount the bikes.

I personally haven't met a bike rack that hasn't scratched up a bike. Ours are too expensive to get wrecked that way (I'm cool with them being scratched up mountain biking ) and I dislike having them exposed to rain and hail while we're travelling (which last trip we had THREE hail storms and one several hour rain storm!!!). So I am happiest with them inside the camper.
__________________

__________________
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost w/ MaxTow
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:16 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Summerville
Posts: 30
Here is what I do...

Tailgate Pad Truck Bed Bike Racks | etrailer.com

Works well, very light, easy and quick to mount the bikes and works with most bikes. It does involve contact with the frame so if you are like SilverEscape with high-end road bikes this may not be your thing...I get it. I use it for a mid range road bike and a high-end Mountain bike.
__________________
2013 Ford F-250 Power Stroke 4X4
2014 Jayco Whitehawk 27RBOK
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:23 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CANADA
Posts: 368
Bike mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinp View Post
Here is what I do...

Tailgate Pad Truck Bed Bike Racks | etrailer.com

Works well, very light, easy and quick to mount the bikes and works with most bikes. It does involve contact with the frame so if you are like SilverEscape with high-end road bikes this may not be your thing...I get it. I use it for a mid range road bike and a high-end Mountain bike.

Actually we have one of these as well. We've got the Swagman TailWhip and love it. We take it with us and use it during our trips to get the bikes out to trails that are a drive. We can do the 4 bikes on ours and none of our bikes touch as long as they are organized in the correct order (due to wheel size differences). The frames are obviously hanging on the pad, but we haven't had anything scratched or wrecked yet. I'm quite impressed with the pad.

And our bikes aren't as high end as I made them sound. LOL Mine is a couple grand, the other 2 are just over a grand and the kid's 24" wheel bike was $600. So I guess mid range but we love them and wouldn't have the budget to replace them, and 3 out of the 4 are brand new so I baby them. (and all hardtails now as my road biking days seem to have ended with kids )

Edit: we don't use ours while towing as like I said, I want weather protection, plus it requires our bed cover off entirely or folded to cover our rear window, makes it so of we stop for a night we'd have to haul the bikes inside to prevent theft, and not certain we'd maintain our turning radius as our trailer has a short tongue).

This is what we have http://www.swagman.net/product/tailw...gate-pad-full/ we tried several others but disliked how they folded over the F-150 tailgate.
__________________
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost w/ MaxTow
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:32 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Summerville
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
Actually we have one of these as well. We've got the Swagman TailWhip and love it. We take it with us and use it during our trips to get the bikes out to trails that are a drive. We can do the 4 bikes on ours and none of our bikes touch as long as they are organized in the correct order (due to wheel size differences). The frames are obviously hanging on the pad, but we haven't had anything scratched or wrecked yet. I'm quite impressed with the pad.

And our bikes aren't as high end as I made them sound. LOL Mine is a couple grand, the other 2 are just over a grand and the kid's 24" wheel bike was $600. So I guess mid range but we love them and wouldn't have the budget to replace them, and 3 out of the 4 are brand new so I baby them. (and all hardtails now as my road biking days seem to have ended with kids )

Edit: we don't use ours while towing as like I said, I want weather protection, plus it requires our bed cover off entirely or folded to cover our rear window, makes it so of we stop for a night we'd have to haul the bikes inside to prevent theft, and not certain we'd maintain our turning radius as our trailer has a short tongue).

This is what we have FULL SIZE – TAILWHIP TAILGATE PAD - Swagman we tried several others but disliked how they folded over the F-150 tailgate.
Yeah, there are many different ways to haul bikes and they all have different advantages and disadvantages. High end and low end bikes is relative to everyone's budget...I have been blessed to work in a bike shop for years to support my habit . I thought about putting mine in the camper but there is just no room with a slide. I normally use a 1UP USA rack on my truck for non-camping rides. I didn't want to add a receiver hitch to my camper...I am close to my max weight so every little bit helps.

Dgonc86: If you go with a bike rack on the propane tanks make sure you can afford the added tongue weight and that it doesn't limit your turning radius. There are many opinions as to whether the TT bumper can handle the weight of a bike rack. I asked my Jayco dealer about putting a receiver on mine and was told it would void the warranty on the frame. Just some things to think about. I went the way I did because of the simplicity and light weight. I secure my bikes with a good cable attached to the tie-down point in the bed of the truck. Hope this helps you make a decision.
__________________
2013 Ford F-250 Power Stroke 4X4
2014 Jayco Whitehawk 27RBOK
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:00 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CANADA
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinp View Post
Yeah, there are many different ways to haul bikes and they all have different advantages and disadvantages. High end and low end bikes is relative to everyone's budget...I have been blessed to work in a bike shop for years to support my habit .

You are 100% correct. And you're a super lucky guy! And with that knowledge, our bikes have moved to low end, entry level for you. LOL Was so hard to find a kid's bike without a heavy spring shock unless you wanted to pay $1200 or more (which got you an air shock)! Pretty sure I found the only air shock model at the price point we paid. Ha ha.
__________________
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost w/ MaxTow
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:19 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Summerville
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
You are 100% correct. And you're a super lucky guy! And with that knowledge, our bikes have moved to low end, entry level for you. LOL
I have worked part time at the shop and never took home a penny...it all went to the bikes. Never became a bike snob though...can't stand those guys! I do have an MTB (Niner RIP 9) that retails for about $4200 but I bought my Gary Fisher hybrid road bike for $200 on Craigslist. I just had the luxury of changing bikes often...never went super high end though; not worth it to me. I always say the best bike to ride is the one you have. Not everyone needs a $4000 bike.
__________________
2013 Ford F-250 Power Stroke 4X4
2014 Jayco Whitehawk 27RBOK
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
Member
 
Whitehawkmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 55
Bike Rack

I actually made one out of PVC that sits in the back of our truck and we haul 4 bikes easily.
__________________
2014 Jayco Whitehawk Summit Edition 28 DSBH
2013 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab Ecoboost 3.55
Whitehawkmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 4
Thanks for the input, I think our best bet will be the platform holders as our bikes are only like $500.were not to worried about them
Dgonc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,111
Be careful of the bolt on bump receivers. Most bumpers are not strong enough for a bike rack. A lot of us have a 2" receiver welded to the rear trailer frame. A good welding shop can do it, for a reasonable cost.
__________________

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.