Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #1

Bike mount

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have a 28 DSBH that we bought beginning of July and me and the wife absolutely love it, we've already been camping for 2 weeks in it. But now that we are camping a lot more we need activities to entertain the little one ( 1 year old son). So my question is does anyone have a bike mount and if so what are you useing. I'm leaning towards the rear bumper mount but also saw some front mounts that go above the propane tanks. Interested to hear your opinions. TIA.
Dgonc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:58 PM   #2

Bike mount

We mount inside the trailer. Take a look in the mods forum, I recently posted pics. Other people have done similar to what we did, but use the dinette in its flat state as the place to mount the bikes.

I personally haven't met a bike rack that hasn't scratched up a bike. Ours are too expensive to get wrecked that way (I'm cool with them being scratched up mountain biking ) and I dislike having them exposed to rain and hail while we're travelling (which last trip we had THREE hail storms and one several hour rain storm!!!). So I am happiest with them inside the camper.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 AM   #3

Here is what I do...

Tailgate Pad Truck Bed Bike Racks | etrailer.com

Works well, very light, easy and quick to mount the bikes and works with most bikes. It does involve contact with the frame so if you are like SilverEscape with high-end road bikes this may not be your thing...I get it. I use it for a mid range road bike and a high-end Mountain bike.
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:23 AM   #4

Bike mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinp View Post
Here is what I do...

Tailgate Pad Truck Bed Bike Racks | etrailer.com

Works well, very light, easy and quick to mount the bikes and works with most bikes. It does involve contact with the frame so if you are like SilverEscape with high-end road bikes this may not be your thing...I get it. I use it for a mid range road bike and a high-end Mountain bike.

Actually we have one of these as well. We've got the Swagman TailWhip and love it. We take it with us and use it during our trips to get the bikes out to trails that are a drive. We can do the 4 bikes on ours and none of our bikes touch as long as they are organized in the correct order (due to wheel size differences). The frames are obviously hanging on the pad, but we haven't had anything scratched or wrecked yet. I'm quite impressed with the pad.

And our bikes aren't as high end as I made them sound. LOL Mine is a couple grand, the other 2 are just over a grand and the kid's 24" wheel bike was $600. So I guess mid range but we love them and wouldn't have the budget to replace them, and 3 out of the 4 are brand new so I baby them. (and all hardtails now as my road biking days seem to have ended with kids )

Edit: we don't use ours while towing as like I said, I want weather protection, plus it requires our bed cover off entirely or folded to cover our rear window, makes it so of we stop for a night we'd have to haul the bikes inside to prevent theft, and not certain we'd maintain our turning radius as our trailer has a short tongue).

This is what we have http://www.swagman.net/product/tailw...gate-pad-full/ we tried several others but disliked how they folded over the F-150 tailgate.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
Actually we have one of these as well. We've got the Swagman TailWhip and love it. We take it with us and use it during our trips to get the bikes out to trails that are a drive. We can do the 4 bikes on ours and none of our bikes touch as long as they are organized in the correct order (due to wheel size differences). The frames are obviously hanging on the pad, but we haven't had anything scratched or wrecked yet. I'm quite impressed with the pad.

And our bikes aren't as high end as I made them sound. LOL Mine is a couple grand, the other 2 are just over a grand and the kid's 24" wheel bike was $600. So I guess mid range but we love them and wouldn't have the budget to replace them, and 3 out of the 4 are brand new so I baby them. (and all hardtails now as my road biking days seem to have ended with kids )

Edit: we don't use ours while towing as like I said, I want weather protection, plus it requires our bed cover off entirely or folded to cover our rear window, makes it so of we stop for a night we'd have to haul the bikes inside to prevent theft, and not certain we'd maintain our turning radius as our trailer has a short tongue).

This is what we have FULL SIZE – TAILWHIP TAILGATE PAD - Swagman we tried several others but disliked how they folded over the F-150 tailgate.
Yeah, there are many different ways to haul bikes and they all have different advantages and disadvantages. High end and low end bikes is relative to everyone's budget...I have been blessed to work in a bike shop for years to support my habit . I thought about putting mine in the camper but there is just no room with a slide. I normally use a 1UP USA rack on my truck for non-camping rides. I didn't want to add a receiver hitch to my camper...I am close to my max weight so every little bit helps.

Dgonc86: If you go with a bike rack on the propane tanks make sure you can afford the added tongue weight and that it doesn't limit your turning radius. There are many opinions as to whether the TT bumper can handle the weight of a bike rack. I asked my Jayco dealer about putting a receiver on mine and was told it would void the warranty on the frame. Just some things to think about. I went the way I did because of the simplicity and light weight. I secure my bikes with a good cable attached to the tie-down point in the bed of the truck. Hope this helps you make a decision.
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Old 08-09-2015, 02:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinp View Post
Yeah, there are many different ways to haul bikes and they all have different advantages and disadvantages. High end and low end bikes is relative to everyone's budget...I have been blessed to work in a bike shop for years to support my habit .

You are 100% correct. And you're a super lucky guy! And with that knowledge, our bikes have moved to low end, entry level for you. LOL Was so hard to find a kid's bike without a heavy spring shock unless you wanted to pay $1200 or more (which got you an air shock)! Pretty sure I found the only air shock model at the price point we paid. Ha ha.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
You are 100% correct. And you're a super lucky guy! And with that knowledge, our bikes have moved to low end, entry level for you. LOL
I have worked part time at the shop and never took home a penny...it all went to the bikes. Never became a bike snob though...can't stand those guys! I do have an MTB (Niner RIP 9) that retails for about $4200 but I bought my Gary Fisher hybrid road bike for $200 on Craigslist. I just had the luxury of changing bikes often...never went super high end though; not worth it to me. I always say the best bike to ride is the one you have. Not everyone needs a $4000 bike.
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #8

Bike Rack

I actually made one out of PVC that sits in the back of our truck and we haul 4 bikes easily.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #9

Thanks for the input, I think our best bet will be the platform holders as our bikes are only like $500.were not to worried about them
Old 08-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #10

Be careful of the bolt on bump receivers. Most bumpers are not strong enough for a bike rack. A lot of us have a 2" receiver welded to the rear trailer frame. A good welding shop can do it, for a reasonable cost.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #11

I will look into it for sure, were not in a huge rush to get it this year, but for sure next year I want one
Old 08-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #12

A large, rubber-backed bathroom mat works really well as a tailgate bike rack. And they're a lot cheaper.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #13

There are many posts in this forum regarding hauling bikes around, but here is one you might enjoy reading: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ice-29109.html

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
A large, rubber-backed bathroom mat works really well as a tailgate bike rack. And they're a lot cheaper.

The Swagman I bought was $90, so not that expensive. And it's way more padded than a bath mat, so protects the forks well. Especially where they sit on the edge of the tailgate. It also has straps so each bike is kept in place and doesn't shift while you drive.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #15

I have a 28 BHBE and had a receiver added from the factory. But even if I hadn't, there are holes for mounting one after the fact. Don't know if yours has those as well, but a frame mounted hitch would be a good option, with a good trailer mount bike rack. Much more secure than a bumper mounted rack. Heard too many horror stories about those coming loose. Before we got the 28BHBE, we also used a tailgate pad and just hung the bikes off the truck. Worked great and kept them nice and secure. Definitely a good option as well.

Good luck!
luv2drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #16

I was pondering how to bring all the bikes too. I used an old bed mat that I had in the basement. Thin, rubber. Flopped it over the tailgate. Covers the whole tailgage and there is enough left for the bikes to be on the mat in the bed while the forks are over the tailgate. 2 26in cannondales, 1 24in ironhorse, 1 20in performance MTB, and 1 20in Barbie BMX. Gone on multiple trips, one from poconos to lake george. No problems with scratches, movement, or turning/backing in. I do run a cable lock thru them to discourage theft. Works great! I still have room in the Tacoma for a large amount of firewood.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #17

We have a bike bunk (Bike Bunk (Model CC-275) :: "A" Frame Cargo Management :: Stromberg Carlson)

Works like a champ. I like being able to see them.
ArvdaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArvdaJayco View Post
We have a bike bunk (Bike Bunk (Model CC-275) :: "A" Frame Cargo Management :: Stromberg Carlson)

I'm considering buying one of these in a few weeks. I have a 2014 28DSBH. Have you had any issues with it? Depending on your tow vehicle, is turning an issue?
flyauburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #19

Quote:
We have a bike bunk (Bike Bunk (Model CC-275) :: "A" Frame Cargo Management :: Stromberg Carlson). Works like a champ. I like being able to see them.
And how high do you need to lift the bikes to put them on or take them down? And the bikes' sizes and weights when describing your usage and experience would be useful. Thanks.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:

My only concern would be if you are near the max for tongue weight as 2 bikes and the rack could add over 100 pounds to the tongue weight.

I have one mounted on a trailer hitch I installed on the back of our EAGLE and the only problem is lifting them up to mount the bikes.. will be looking at one of those that mount on the rear in a bike tray (bumper height).. should be easier to mount the bikes.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote