Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #1

Bike Rack Alternative

I have a 2015 Whitehawk and Jayco told me that I can't mount anything on the back bumper. I would like to mount a bike rack on the back if possible. They told me they don't know about the ladder as it is another company's item. Anyone have a solution?
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

What about a frame mounted hitch? I think it is Curt that has one that is adjustable width wise for RV frames. Or a custom made hitch?

Otherwise maybe one of the tongue mounted set ups? Or a front mounted tv hitch?

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #3

Check out the Arvika line. www.arvika.ca
These units mount on the A-frame at the front of the TT. and hold the bikes over the LPG tanks. They make full solutions, but I actually installed the AFH2 which is a 2" receiver. We use it with a Thule Doubletrack rack, so we can also use the rack directly on our TV.

Clearance is tight on our unit, but I can make fairly tight corners without the rack interfering with the back of our SUV. If you have a pickup for your TV, probably wouldn't be an issue as it is probably high enough to clear the tailgate.

Stromberg Carlson also makes a unit called the Bike Bunk (available on amazon) but we passed on it as the reviews were pretty poor. The Arvika is really solid and well made and installed fairly easily.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:17 AM   #4

I purchased a new 2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 24'. I had the dealership install a new heavy duty ladder for me, seems to be fine. I then had them install a second TV in the bedroom, seems fine. They also sold me a Swagman RV Bumper Adapter for a bike rack and said it would not void the warranty. I haven't tried it yet. I would not put more than 2 bikes or 100 pounds on it because you have the weight of the spare tire, the tire holder, the adapter and the two bikes. Make certain your bumper is properly installed, is steel and is welded on. Not sure if something happened if it would be covered under warranty since I only have a verbal from the service scheduler. Hope this helps. I have read horror stories of bumpers falling/tearing off while others apparently do fine.
Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #5

I'm having a custom bumper built to haul a generator and a few cans of gas...

also had a front receiver hitch made for above the propane tanks for my kids bikes.
rroadkilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #6

I installed the Curt adjustable 2" receiver hitch on my '15 White Hawk 27DSRL and use the Yakima Holdup bike rack. It has work well for the past 2 years. The bumper brackets to the frame are only 1/8" steel and will probably crack from the weight of bouncing bicycles and the spare tire. You could take the bumper off and have thicker brackets welded on to carry the extra weight. I don't carry things on my ladder just to avoid getting it tangled in the tree branches or something and ripping the ladder off the TT.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #7

I installed a pair of 4SQUARE Safety Struts. This eliminated most of the concern I had about week welds and the bumper falling off. If you haven't checked them out... Do so. At $65... It's cheap insurance. ---- I then mounted a Swagman Dispatch rack. I chose that rack as it is specifically made for use on an RV. It is crazy heavy duty. --- This was two years ago and I've had no issues at all.

4SQUARE SafetyStruts Prevent RV Bumper Failure (TM)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JASCNEE..._shEoxbQM549AB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #8

Adding a picture for reference.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"