Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #1

Bike rack for Jayco Flight 24FSB

We are trying figure out the best option for a bike rack.Jayco Customer Services says do not use a bumper mount. Does anyone know about ladder mount bike racks or any other suggestions?
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #2

Don't use a ladder mount either. I just went through this last month with our 24FBS as well. The bouncing around with the bikes hanging off the ladder will tear it up. Plus you will block the tail light.

My dealer is going to strengthen up the bumper and weld supports for us after we are done camping for the year then we will get a bolt on hitch for a bike rack. He stressed to me maximum 2 bikes only after he was done.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #3

We had a 2" receiver fabricated and welded "frame to frame" on my current and previous. Cost ~$300 and worth every penny. Frequently haul 4 bikes and occasionally a cargo tray with cooler and generator.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #4

A receiver hitch is the only way to go. And shop carefully for the bike rack - almost all racks specifically warn against being used on a trailer. Sometimes you have to read the fine print in the manual to find the exclusion. Because of the longer distance from the wheels than on a car, apparently they do not think their racks can withstand the up and down pounding. None of the big brands make one that is OK for RV use - Thule, Yakima, Hollywood, etc., etc.

Brinkman is the most common one that does make racks for RV's, and then only two of their models!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
A receiver hitch is the only way to go. And shop carefully for the bike rack - almost all racks specifically warn against being used on a trailer. Sometimes you have to read the fine print in the manual to find the exclusion. Because of the longer distance from the wheels than on a car, apparently they do not think their racks can withstand the up and down pounding. None of the big brands make one that is OK for RV use - Thule, Yakima, Hollywood, etc., etc.

Brinkman is the most common one that does make racks for RV's, and then only two of their models!
Great post -- I use a swagman rack that is approved for TT use.

None of the platform racks are approved for RV use, I had to compromise to a frame hanger.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #6

This is what I used on our 27 DSRL, Curt #13703. It's strong sturdy and works great.
CURT Manufacturing - CURT Adjustable RV Trailer Hitch #13703
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgchak View Post
This is what I used on our 27 DSRL, Curt #13703. It's strong sturdy and works great.
CURT Manufacturing - CURT Adjustable RV Trailer Hitch #13703
Nice looking hitch but have you had it drag? The picture of it on eTrailer look like it hangs well below the stabilizer jacks.

That hitch is $250 shipped on Amazon.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #8

Yippeeee! All the varied threads here about hauling bikes make me so happy we went with the Columba 26" folding w/18-speed shifter (between $200-300/per bike depending on model ~ less than the mods we'd be paying) [note: smaller wheel bikes like 16" or 20" cost even less]. We just fold them up, put each in their carry/storage bag, and secure them next to the bed in the TT.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #9

OMG - I must have been thinking about grilling later today! Brinkman makes grills - It's SWAGMAN that makes TT bike racks!

BTW - you may still have some work to do after getting the hitch and the rack - on my 5th, the mounted rack was too close to the RV, and bike handlebars would hit the rear window. Had to also get a receiver extension, and then find ways to clamp everything together real tight, so there was no way for it to bang around.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #10
Site Team

I just turn the handlebars 90 deg on the rearmost bike. I carry the proper size Allen wrench to do that. Takes a minute.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

Well, to be detailed - not just the handlebars. Swagman is below the bumper into the receiver, so there were issues with the lower loops for the rack itself, pedals, bike on bike entanglement, and even chainring banging things, depending on how I tried to configure it all. And impossible access to city water inlet and electrical cord. With the 12" receiver extension, all of that is so much easier......
Now if the hitch itself could have been mounted further back, all would have been well, but had to go with what Jayco decided to do when they installed it at the factory. I'm sure each install will be different.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Yippeeee! All the varied threads here about hauling bikes make me so happy we went with the Columba 26" folding w/18-speed shifter (between $200-300/per bike depending on model ~ less than the mods we'd be paying) [note: smaller wheel bikes like 16" or 20" cost even less]. We just fold them up, put each in their carry/storage bag, and secure them next to the bed in the TT.
We had thought about folding bikes but ours ended by being given to us. We may look at that option for Christmas.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #13

No, it's never dragged.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #14

I don't mean to pirate someone else's thread, but does anyone just put their bikes in the back of the pick up. Also I have seen a "cover" for you tailgate that you can hang your bikes over. Has anyone tried this?

2014 Jay Flight 24 FBS
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 Laramie MC Turbo Diesel
Wendy the Wife & Bailey the Lab
Tom_OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:28 AM   #15

My neighbour uses a bike rack that mounts on his A-Frame above the propane tanks. It seems to be very functional and relatively easy to use. I looked at the same model, it was pricey, I think the 4-bike model was $700 CND. But it was very sturdy and does not present the torsion issues that a bumper mounted rack includes.

The down side I saw to it was increased hitch weight and my old TT was already pushing my limits so I decided not to risk it.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
We also use the 2 folding bikes from CW and stow in the TT. Ours are the 6 speeds and CW has a sale right now -- 2 for 300 bucks.
They have the small wheels and are funny to ride at first but easy to get used to. No major mtn. bike trails with them but roads and trails are okay. Enjoy.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
We also use the 2 folding bikes from CW and stow in the TT. Ours are the 6 speeds and CW has a sale right now -- 2 for 300 bucks.
They have the small wheels and are funny to ride at first but easy to get used to. No major mtn. bike trails with them but roads and trails are okay. Enjoy.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
As I read the total cost of some of the bike mounts/mods (addressed in great detail in both this and other bike threads on this forum), folding bikes for a family could end-up costing less! Also keep in mind the ease of mounting/unmounting the bikes (e.g. from over propane tanks) ~ you don't want to dread doing that and pull a muscle!

Many of the smaller wheel foldables start in the low $100 range - and suit a variety of needs/objectives (cruising the RV park vs. taking day-trips). We purchased 26" alloy-suspension Columba bikes because we like to picnic/explore and DH wanted something comparable to our "at home" bikes. Right now our TT bikes are folded and in their carrying bags secured next to the bed waiting our Yosemite trip (can't wait to ride the valley floor).

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #18
Jmd

Check out the North Shore bike racks. Simple to use and bomb proof.

As far as the bumper I would have someone check that out for strength and possibly improving it's strength to support a rack in some way.
Jmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #19
Jmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_OC View Post
I don't mean to pirate someone else's thread, but does anyone just put their bikes in the back of the pick up. Also I have seen a "cover" for you tailgate that you can hang your bikes over. Has anyone tried this?
I do this. I use a dakine tailgate pad and put the bikes on the outer sides of the tail gate to allow for turning clearance.
Jmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #20

On my old trailer I had a 2" receiver welded frame to frame...on my new Jayco the "cargo accessory receiver" or some name like that, is the same thing only installed at the factory. As far as bike racks go, regarding not being suitable for RVs, I've got a yakima that I've had for over 10 years with no problems. I never read the fine print, so maybe I wasn't supposed to use it on a trailer, but it has been flawless for 10 years. YMMV.

John
Aizoo Guy is offline   Reply With Quote