Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2023, 04:32 PM   #1

Bird damage to TPO Roof / repair suggestions

Buzzards pulled off tpo roof layment in 5 spots at the rear of my 2015 19rd Jayflight, they perched on my ladder and the back. Water got inside and has come out through the light over the dining table. Insurance wants to total the trailer saying the whole roof has to be removed and replaced. I want to repair and keep it. Wood looks fresh and clean where tpo is gone.

Am waiting on mobile rv repair person for a second opinion, in the meantime have tarpped area, removed light fixture and dehumidifier going.

What are the chances of this drying out and using ether bond to repair then coating the entire roof after cleaning dicor and replacing it? Anyone had experience with this?

Other issue, I am recovering from back surgery so not able to get around like I am used to, will have to depend on my grown sons for help on roof.
sragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:42 PM   #2
Site Team

It the insurance totals it and you buy it back, I believe there are some hoops you have to go thru to get it titled. Best check on that.

Other than that, I don't know. Depends on the damage.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:43 PM   #3

How big are the spots? How much rain? Eternabond comes in 12" widths so it could be done if you want to take the gamble and hope the roof dries out ok inside.

Let the Insurance company total it then buy it back and fix it.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the response. Even if I have a salvage title I am ok with that.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:04 PM   #5

That is what I am seriously considering, arguing with insurance now. Even if I decide to find another one, I have too much invested in new tires, battery, receiver and other improvements that I cannot physically remove at this time.

My son took pictures it appears one is about 12x12, another 8x12 then 3 that are smaller 1x2, 3x4, and some pecks. Have you used the Eternabond and how has it held up. My intention was to re caulk this year, already purchased the dicor before surgery happened. Thanks for the input
Old 06-05-2023, 05:07 PM   #6

I had a old car "totaled" but in fact I accepted the junk value, $300 back then and accepted the lesser amount. The State Farm insisted I drop coverage a bit but kept my liability. Drove that dented back end around for a year and sold as is for $500. Moral of this is, negotiate and try to avoid the junk title route.
On the roof, if you are having dry weather then untarp it and pull back roofing to expose and dry out wood. You may even have to split it back a ways to get all the moisture out.

If wood is pronounced sound then Etearnabond is the way to go. After the big rip is gone consider removing Dicor and taping up everything. I wouldn't bother coating the roof if it is sealed up. Not sure what advantage it is as it won't hide the Etearnabond tape anyway.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:14 PM   #7
Site Team

I have never heard of buzzards totaling a trailer. That would be a great commercial for Farmers Insurance? dum de dum dum, dum dum dum!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:15 PM   #8

Insurance did not specify a change in title but stated they would not be able to have full coverage on the trailer if I keep it. There are not too many of that model trailer around at an affordable price so looks like getting it paid off and using what is left to repair will be my best bet. When my son was on the roof, he said the wood was clean and quite dry, we had had several days of texas hot sun. My concern is where the water was in the ceiling, so finally got the light fixture out today.
Thanks for the suggestions
Old 06-05-2023, 05:24 PM   #9

That was my thought.....actually my rant... really you want to strip off the whole top of the trailer and replace for some places they damaged? Two of them are rather large so just do the back where it is damaged.

As it turns out, it costs many thousands to remove a/c, fridge, vents, skylights, scrape old roof, check for ceiling damage, replace TPO replace and reseal everything. The insurance company does not want the liability if it is not done right so easier to total for them. They would not even wait for a Mobile RV repair company whom they have worked with before to say if it could be fixed.

I can see it now.... 2 black headed vultures, sitting on the ladder, hey wonder what this tastes like, peck peck, not much flavor but sure is fun peeling it off.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sragan View Post
Insurance did not specify a change in title but stated they would not be able to have full coverage on the trailer if I keep it. There are not too many of that model trailer around at an affordable price so looks like getting it paid off and using what is left to repair will be my best bet. When my son was on the roof, he said the wood was clean and quite dry, we had had several days of texas hot sun. My concern is where the water was in the ceiling, so finally got the light fixture out today.
Thanks for the suggestions
In New York you would get a 'salvage" title and would have trouble getting insurance going forward. You would only get liability which extends from whatever you are towing with anyway. You would not be able to insure for comprehensive coverage which would cover damage etc. You would greatly reduce your resale value but if you don't care about that go for it...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:29 PM   #11

Eternabond will hold up very well. Use Dicor self leveling around all the edges. If you're in Texas my money is on the ceiling drying out very well since you have low humidity.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:38 PM   #12

At this point don't really care about resale. I tow with a 28 year old truck, I am a retired teacher, bought it for myself on my 62nd birthday so I could travel summers and after I retired. If I can continue to travel in it for a few more years I am good.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sragan View Post
At this point don't really care about resale. I tow with a 28 year old truck, I am a retired teacher, bought it for myself on my 62nd birthday so I could travel summers and after I retired. If I can continue to travel in it for a few more years I am good.
Take the payout and buy it back!
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:47 PM   #14

Have you already filed the claim? I would not file a claim, fix it myself calling it roof maintenence. If your insurance company would not continue to provide coverage, I would tell them to pound sand. Too many companies out there.
Geico sent me a letter of intent not to renew full coverage, an agreed price policy, on a street legal tube frame buggy I built. Told them to pound sand. Got a better deal from progressive. 6 monts later my wife moved everything to farmers for an even bettet deal. Loyalty in this field no longer exists.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
It the insurance totals it and you buy it back, I believe there are some hoops you have to go thru to get it titled. Best check on that.

Other than that, I don't know. Depends on the damage.
I believe the Title would be changed to a "salvage title." The liability is provided by the tow vehicle I think. The Sheriff may need to come out and do a safety inspection. Getting it re-titled (in Colorado at least) should not be hard if you own the original title. Getting comprehensive insurance will be more difficult I think.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:19 PM   #16

They pull TPO, replace whatever needs replacing, mount new vents, A/C seal, antanne, etc.

https://rvroof.com/
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 12:25 PM   #17

No vultures - at least not the bird kind - but 2.5" hail totaled our Tahoe and trailer. Bought both back with salvage titles, had to have it inspected, a few hoops to jump through. AAA gave me a ridiculously horrible unfair payment for my Tahoe and practically paid my entire purchase price for the trailer. Go figure.

Really like my formerly mint car - no more worries about damage and had some interesting conversations, especially around NE Colorado where big hail is part of life. Mirror and window trim still held together with gorilla tape. I was able to upgrade the trailer in all the ways I had always wanted to and it's none-the-worse for wear.

Eternabond is a trailer's best friend. Part of the hail damage included a couple slits in the TPO where hail hit against a wood edge underneath. Those and other vulnerable roof areas are generously well-eternabonded. Just do a good prep, take your time, use a roller to get a nice smooth tight adhesion and you're good to go.

Best wishes for a good solution and happy times on the trail again!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 01:44 PM   #18

consider putting a skylight or roof vent in to cover the damaged area
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 03:41 PM   #19

roof replaced after fighting insurance and one repair place

To complete the story of the roof damaged by black headed buzzards. The ins finally raised the value of my trailer and I located a local repair shop to do the repairs for what they would pay. Had to wait until temps were under 100 degrees so glue would adhere properly, then in September when that finally occurred, the company added 1400 to the estimate. Reached out on our area buy and sell found a repairman that lives 5 miles away and several people suggested him..... he came,checked it out, returned, picked up my trailer, removed everything on the top, replaced some decking (said the roof was very solid) new skylight and a new PVC roof, much stronger and more durable than the old one. He even brought it home and ask if he can come by after I take a few trips to check it out.

After all the headaches and hassles all worked out for the best, I now have Affordable RV Services of Paige as my go to repairman.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:32 PM   #20
Site Team

Thanks for the repair update. Glad it worked out for the best for you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how long to dry inside, roof damage, water damage