Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

Black tank between trips question

Just returned from my first TT weekend and all went well thanks to tips and tricks from seasoned veterans on this forum.

Everything went smooth with my biggest worry. . . the black tank dump. I know some dump and flush well using the black tank flush connection (which I have on my TT) and call it good until the next trip. Some dump and flush and then add 3 to 5 gallons of water with chemical treatment and leave that in the tank until the next trip. I was planning on leaving mine dry after the dump and flush, but after seeing this video, I think I will add water and chemicals and leave it "wet" between trips. The video is a little long but illustrates well how much waste can be left in the tank. I wouldn't want all that poo poo hardening in there before my next trip.

I am going to crawl under my TT and see if I can see how my black tank is plumbed. Does the drain pipe come out the side of the tank, or out the bottom? I think that makes a big difference on how well it gets flushed.

I'm also hoping the flush connection on my TT (2012 Jayflight) is plumbed in a way that really rinses down the sides of the tank. Any Jayco techs out there who can describe how the tanks/fittings/level sensors are configured? Knowing how something is built helps one understand the best way to maintain it (for me anyway)
Kaliona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:39 PM   #2

It would be helpful to know the model of your trailer. I have a 2017 Whitehawk. It has a built-in input to flush the Black tank. I always leave some water and a deoderizer in the tank at all times. The process I use is to empty the tank while the Black Tank Flush is running. If I am "on a trip," I just empty the tank once. But, toward the end of a trip I start fill/empty the tank twice to get it clean. Sometimes it takes more than that. I use a Valterra F02-4350 Reverse RV Flush Valve in conjunction with the Black Tank Flush.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #3

I flush the tank and then add a couple of gallons of water and a chemical pack after the dump. No problems in six years with that method. I was told when I purchased my first RV to never leave the tank dry out. There is always something left over in the tank even after you use the black tank spray (as shown in the video). I don’t want the combination of poop and paper to harden hoping it will eventually break up if water is added later.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #4

+1 to never ever letting it dry out.

I also have read lots of opinions that those chem tabs don't prevent buildup in any way, but I do think they stop smell, so I use em for that.

I also do a lot of black tank washes with a Camco Flexible Swivel Stik down the toilet of my 264BHW.

I think it's great to get stuff off the sensor. If you start getting the issue where you fully drain the tank but the black tank indicators still show full, then you might want to start doing that too.

I also periodically fill the black tank and instead of the chem tabs, I add dishwasher liquid. Seems to break down organics.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpostma View Post
+1 to never ever letting it dry out.
+2

After flushing and before storage we add a gallon of water and a scoop of Happy Camper.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:41 AM   #6

I usually add some water to the BT during the down time between trips as the summer heat can evaporate the water, which could lead to "dried deposits".
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:36 AM   #7

I always leave it wet after dumping. A few gallons of water ans a pouch of the chemicla that I use.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:36 AM   #8

Sounds like the concensus is NOT to leave it dry. I feel more comfortable with that too. Thanks folks!
Kaliona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I always leave it wet after dumping. A few gallons of water ans a pouch of the chemicla that I use.
X2
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #10

I know what I'm doin when I get home.