Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Great, now after the first flush you have to start over! LOL

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #12

As for my wand: the cheap one I bought was quite ineffective. It had 4 holes drilled in the end at 90deg spacing. I modified it with pvc sprinkler parts. Now I have shrub sprinkler head on the end of a 2 foot PVC pipe. I then got a fitting to allow me to screw a length of garden hose to my bathroom sink faucet. Now I don't have to drag hoses into the trailer.

tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
Site Team

I have a flexible wand which is all I can use to get in my tank. It is ineffective.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #14

I am not a fan of the straight plastic wand with the four holes drilled at the end at 90 degree angles, and I am not a fan of the flexible wand with the rotating head. Many years ago I had made my own wand using 3/8 inch ID tubing with a 90 degree bend in the end and soldered it to a hose fitting. This gave me a lot of spray pressure and I could effectively direct debris to the outdrain on the tank (though I can't see it, I know where it is in relation to the toilet).
On my new wand (made virtually the same) I have added a shut off valve like the plastic ones have, and the hose connects on a 90 degree elbow. It is very effective and easier to maneuver.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Great, now after the first flush you have to start over! LOL
Exactly... I guess I don't understand the fascination people have with cleaning their black tanks. I know what is about to go down there the next time I use it, so I am not all that bothered if its "clean" or not.

If your black tank is working correctly you should get any smells inside your camper. If your black tank isn't working correctly, you better polish the inside of your black tank, or else its gonna keep stinking.

The black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate and difficult to get "un-gunked". Wasting 100 gallons of water to scrape some toilet paper off a sensor so it will work until the next time you flush seems excessive to me. Talk to the fella's out west right now dealing with the drought...

I empty my black tanks, occasionally run the black tank flush if I have a full hookup, and put about 5 gallons of water back in before I leave. I let the 5 gallons of water slosh around on the drive home. That 5 gallons of water keeps "stuff" from drying on the bottom of the tank... then it agitates that "stuff" on the way to the next campground.

Thankfully my camper came with a dining table, so I don't need to clean the black tank and eat out of it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #16

I do have a factory installed flush and use it after dumping, but not after each dump. Every 2-3 dumps works for me. I do not ever put any water back into the black tank after dumping since I full time and will put more in the tank during the course of the day. I full time so my tank is used daily.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 PM   #17

30 Gallon shallow black tank

I have learned not to trust the sensors on your black tank. Rather, wait for the "belch" that welcomes you when flushing the toilet to know it's full. That said, I watched the youtube video demonstration on black tank flushing and realized how terrible most marketed items are. I don't have a flush valve for my tank, so I had to think outside the box. I keep my Rhinoflex hose in a 5 gallon bucket because it won't fit in any poop-tube storage compartments provided by the manufactures. I use the 5 gallon bucket to flush the black tank after dumping. I leave the valve open and dump a series of 3 full buckets. The third dump generally runs clear. I don't have any odor issues after the tank sits empty for a month like I used to and sleep better knowing it is cleaner.
Carleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #18
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
30 Gallon shallow black tank

I have learned not to trust the sensors on your black tank. Rather, wait for the "belch" that welcomes you when flushing the toilet to know it's full. That said, I watched the youtube video demonstration on black tank flushing and realized how terrible most marketed items are. I don't have a flush valve for my tank, so I had to think outside the box. I keep my Rhinoflex hose in a 5 gallon bucket because it won't fit in any poop-tube storage compartments provided by the manufactures. I use the 5 gallon bucket to flush the black tank after dumping. I leave the valve open and dump a series of 3 full buckets. The third dump generally runs clear. I don't have any odor issues after the tank sits empty for a month like I used to and sleep better knowing it is cleaner.
Using a bucket instead of a plastic bag is a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
If your black tank is working correctly you should get any smells inside your camper. If your black tank isn't working correctly, you better polish the inside of your black tank, or else its gonna keep stinking..
While I was filling/dumping, the flush valve was full open (to get the hose in the tank of course), I started noticing the distinctive hydrogen sulfide smell. Very dangerous in enclosed spaces. That alone is a good reason to keep your tank as clean as possible.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Exactly... I guess I don't understand the fascination people have with cleaning their black tanks. I know what is about to go down there the next time I use it, so I am not all that bothered if its "clean" or not.

If your black tank is working correctly you should get any smells inside your camper. If your black tank isn't working correctly, you better polish the inside of your black tank, or else its gonna keep stinking.

The black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate and difficult to get "un-gunked". Wasting 100 gallons of water to scrape some toilet paper off a sensor so it will work until the next time you flush seems excessive to me. Talk to the fella's out west right now dealing with the drought...

I empty my black tanks, occasionally run the black tank flush if I have a full hookup, and put about 5 gallons of water back in before I leave. I let the 5 gallons of water slosh around on the drive home. That 5 gallons of water keeps "stuff" from drying on the bottom of the tank... then it agitates that "stuff" on the way to the next campground.

Thankfully my camper came with a dining table, so I don't need to clean the black tank and eat out of it.

X2.

We haven't had a drought in New England this year, but we sure have had a pretty dry summer! Still I agree it's wasteful to run the black tank flush excessively. I watched a guy at the dump station Monday morning take a good solid 5 minutes while running water through the black tank flush fitting.

Yet... On the other hand, I find the Inlaws don't seem to care when I ask them to use minimal paper and be generous with the toilet flush water. My solution of telling the Inlaws to use the campground facilities is undesired by my DW. So, I see both sides of the issue.

2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote