Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Exactly... I guess I don't understand the fascination people have with cleaning their black tanks. I know what is about to go down there the next time I use it, so I am not all that bothered if its "clean" or not.

If your black tank is working correctly you should get any smells inside your camper. If your black tank isn't working correctly, you better polish the inside of your black tank, or else its gonna keep stinking.

The black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate and difficult to get "un-gunked". Wasting 100 gallons of water to scrape some toilet paper off a sensor so it will work until the next time you flush seems excessive to me. Talk to the fella's out west right now dealing with the drought...

I empty my black tanks, occasionally run the black tank flush if I have a full hookup, and put about 5 gallons of water back in before I leave. I let the 5 gallons of water slosh around on the drive home. That 5 gallons of water keeps "stuff" from drying on the bottom of the tank... then it agitates that "stuff" on the way to the next campground.

Thankfully my camper came with a dining table, so I don't need to clean the black tank and eat out of it.
Be happy you never had a blockage in your black tank, you would understand why it's important to keep it clean. Also if you ever need work on your black tank system, most will not work on it if it is not 100% clean. I have seen tank blockages and it can be a real nightmare. Much easier to keep it clean all the time. JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:33 AM   #22

I used the geo method before our last trip from va to myrtle beach I installed borax 20 and laundry detergent with about 5 gallons of water! Arrived at beach and checked, sensors reading empty filled up within 2 days and dumped, flushed with clear flush elbow as usual and barely any time until clear!
"we do it in black pots"
Ryetye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:39 AM   #23

This wins the forum today. Too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Exactly... I guess I don't understand the fascination people have with cleaning their black tanks. I know what is about to go down there the next time I use it, so I am not all that bothered if its "clean" or not.

If your black tank is working correctly you should get any smells inside your camper. If your black tank isn't working correctly, you better polish the inside of your black tank, or else its gonna keep stinking.

The black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate and difficult to get "un-gunked". Wasting 100 gallons of water to scrape some toilet paper off a sensor so it will work until the next time you flush seems excessive to me. Talk to the fella's out west right now dealing with the drought...

I empty my black tanks, occasionally run the black tank flush if I have a full hookup, and put about 5 gallons of water back in before I leave. I let the 5 gallons of water slosh around on the drive home. That 5 gallons of water keeps "stuff" from drying on the bottom of the tank... then it agitates that "stuff" on the way to the next campground.

Thankfully my camper came with a dining table, so I don't need to clean the black tank and eat out of it.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #24

Nice video on which toilet paper to use that breaks down quick and is cost effective.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #25

I am doing an experiment on my 195RB. We camped for a week and dumped (really full) with no flush at 11 Mile Creek state park, CO. Added 5 gallons and left it in with dish soap and softener and ran 600 miles when we dumped at a Iowa. We had stopped overnight at Cabellas. Again added 5 gallons, soap and softener and ran 350 miles home. Dumped into a 5 gallon bucket and lots of nasty came out. So I flushed with a wand into the grass way in the back yard. Still shows 2/3 full.

So my experiment! I filled half way and added some Zep Septic Tank Defense powder and filled it up. About 1/10 of a packet designed for a 2,000 gallon septic tank. I plan to wait for 2 weeks and see if this stuff "eats" the crud on the inside.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #26

I guess I'm not a REAL camper, but I only can go out for a max. 2mos. at a time,it is just me and the wife. SO we agree no poop or Toilet paper in the toilet!!!! Go to the the camp ground bathroom.

2015 Ford 250 super Duty 6.7 l diesel
RGVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
Afterwards I bought a faucet adapter to allow my wand to be attached to my bathroom sink faucet. Now I need a short length of light-weight garden hose.
Now that's a darn good tip.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
So I flushed with a wand into the grass way in the back yard. Still shows 2/3 full.

So my experiment! I filled half way and added some Zep Septic Tank Defense powder and filled it up. About 1/10 of a packet designed for a 2,000 gallon septic tank. I plan to wait for 2 weeks and see if this stuff "eats" the crud on the inside.
If your 2/3 full sensor is malfunctioning, why are you only filling the tank 1/2 full? The zep solution would have to climb up the side to get to the problem unless I am not properly visualizing...
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #29

I filled it half way, add Zep and then filled it up as I typed. I wanted the powder to be mixed in so did it in two stages. Have a problem now before I park it. My pump strainer O ring is leaking and I need to fix it before storage. Just lets the Zep work a little more time I hope.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #30

I've heard both ways on the ice method. For me it's water and lots of it. Every time I dump I add back 4 or 5 gallons of water with a softener. I find Happy Camper works well and it's convenient. When I do my dump leaving the campsite, I add back the water and softener. The sloshing on the trip home breaks up any leftover stuff and tp. While it's parked in storage, this stuff settles, but with enough water it breaks up when I head out. The sloshing water works wonders. Even if you don't use a softener, using plenty of water is the most important thing. I like the softener because it makes the plastic inside the tank slick and stuff doesn't stick to it... it almost all goes out with a dump and flush... It your tank has been neglected and left dry, it may take several trips and dumps to get it clean, but it eventually will. As someone said earlier... a clogged black tank is NOT something I ever want to experience...