Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

Black tank finally clean

Finally got the black tank clean for probably the 3 or 4th time since 2007 when I bought my rig.

my black tank didn't come with an installed flush fixture, my dealer has been reluctant to install one for me, and I am mostly too tired to argue or put one in myself.

that said, I have found a way to get my tank clean - use lots of water. Flushing the toilet for 2 minutes didn't do the trick as it drained to just a trickle and the sensors still showed 2/3 full. Adding chemicals also were just marginally effective, but did help.

Finally, I used a wand and filled the tank full, then drove to the local dumpsite. I emptied the tank - than had to fill FULL and dump three more times for the water to come out clear. dragging a hose through the trailer to the toilet is risky at best, but it was my only option. Luckily, there wasn't a waiting line at the dump site.

Afterwards I bought a faucet adapter to allow my wand to be attached to my bathroom sink faucet. Now I need a short length of light-weight garden hose.

Now I have to get my grey tank cleaned so that sensor reads empty.

Tim,
2008 26BHS.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #2

My gray tank sensors were not reading accurately. I have no flush system. After dumping lately, I have been pouring a few gallons of water down into each waste tank with about a 1/2 cup of liquid fabric softener. I notice yesterday my tanks are reading empty.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #3

My blackwater reads 3/4 full even when M/T..I just bought it this year, 2006 x23b. Someone suggested driving to my next location with 2 gallons of water and two bags of ice in the blackwater hold...Has anyone tried this?
Leo801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo801 View Post
...Someone suggested driving to my next location with 2 gallons of water and two bags of ice in the blackwater hold...Has anyone tried this?
Yup. Works ok, if it is not caked on old stuff in there. Our had dried up stuff in it when we bought it. Filled black tank half full with water and let it sit for a couple weeks then went to dumpstation. Dumped and filled several times and used a wand to power wash the inside of the tank through the toilet. Like the OP, took several times, but it will all come out.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #5

Yes, and it did not work for us.
We could not get much ice down the toilet.

We do a "Royal" flush on our last day out.
To explain... first, we fully drain the black water tank; then with black water value still open, we quickly pour 5 gallons of fresh water into the toilet.

No, our black water sensors do not work. They only worked for the first season we had the TT.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:09 AM   #6

I noticed with our Jayco trailer the black tank takes several attempts to get clean. I installed a tank cleaner and that helped but compared to other trailers I've had the tank is just harder to clean. The best advise is to dump it when it's full and
keep it clean between trips. I am going to add some calgate water softener to the tank to make it flush out better. I've also heard that Ridx now makes a product for RV tanks so thought I would check that out.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #7

There is a series of youtube videos from a guy who built a simulated, clear plastic black water tank and experimented with various methods to get the gunk out. Interesting results.

an installed black water nozzle and lots of water flow rate from a full tank was really the only way to get a tank clean.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #8

x2 what tjpolsin says. I have a couple of dump sites near my home which have hose spigots. I always carry an extra hose and run it inside the TT with a wand hooked to it. After draining the black tank, I use the wand and thoroughly spray out and rinse the tank.
Look on you tube for "the fit RV" for the guy who built the clear tank to simulate the many different cleaning styles and methods.
One more thing which can help out. If your TT is going to be sitting for a couple of weeks from one use to the next, dump about 5 gallons of water into it with a couple doses of chemical to allow the chemical to work a while and soak into anything that may be left stuck. Then, fill the tank to full with a cup of borax, and go dump it.
I am actually able to stick a mirror wand down my toilet and my tank is as clean as the day it was purchased.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #9

Before we left the state park last week, I dumped the tanks. Their dump station did not have a hose connection for my black tank flush, but I have a dump station and hose connection at home.

After returning home I used it to run the black tank wash. It was interesting to see how much dirty residue was left in the tank. Merely dumping the tank left a lot in there! After hitting it with the tank flush, however, the effluent was soon running clear. The black tank flush system is very effective.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #10

NC Roamer watch the videos put out by thefitrv on you tube. It was informative and surprising regarding black tank flush kits and other devices, and how much we think they work but the reality is... The only thing he does not test is the use of a wand. Also, he has a nice test on toilet paper. I was surprised at the results and now utilize the Charmin brand.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Great, now after the first flush you have to start over! LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #12

As for my wand: the cheap one I bought was quite ineffective. It had 4 holes drilled in the end at 90deg spacing. I modified it with pvc sprinkler parts. Now I have shrub sprinkler head on the end of a 2 foot PVC pipe. I then got a fitting to allow me to screw a length of garden hose to my bathroom sink faucet. Now I don't have to drag hoses into the trailer.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
Site Team

I have a flexible wand which is all I can use to get in my tank. It is ineffective.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #14

I am not a fan of the straight plastic wand with the four holes drilled at the end at 90 degree angles, and I am not a fan of the flexible wand with the rotating head. Many years ago I had made my own wand using 3/8 inch ID tubing with a 90 degree bend in the end and soldered it to a hose fitting. This gave me a lot of spray pressure and I could effectively direct debris to the outdrain on the tank (though I can't see it, I know where it is in relation to the toilet).
On my new wand (made virtually the same) I have added a shut off valve like the plastic ones have, and the hose connects on a 90 degree elbow. It is very effective and easier to maneuver.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Great, now after the first flush you have to start over! LOL
Exactly... I guess I don't understand the fascination people have with cleaning their black tanks. I know what is about to go down there the next time I use it, so I am not all that bothered if its "clean" or not.

If your black tank is working correctly you should get any smells inside your camper. If your black tank isn't working correctly, you better polish the inside of your black tank, or else its gonna keep stinking.

The black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate and difficult to get "un-gunked". Wasting 100 gallons of water to scrape some toilet paper off a sensor so it will work until the next time you flush seems excessive to me. Talk to the fella's out west right now dealing with the drought...

I empty my black tanks, occasionally run the black tank flush if I have a full hookup, and put about 5 gallons of water back in before I leave. I let the 5 gallons of water slosh around on the drive home. That 5 gallons of water keeps "stuff" from drying on the bottom of the tank... then it agitates that "stuff" on the way to the next campground.

Thankfully my camper came with a dining table, so I don't need to clean the black tank and eat out of it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:10 AM   #16

I do have a factory installed flush and use it after dumping, but not after each dump. Every 2-3 dumps works for me. I do not ever put any water back into the black tank after dumping since I full time and will put more in the tank during the course of the day. I full time so my tank is used daily.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #17

30 Gallon shallow black tank

I have learned not to trust the sensors on your black tank. Rather, wait for the "belch" that welcomes you when flushing the toilet to know it's full. That said, I watched the youtube video demonstration on black tank flushing and realized how terrible most marketed items are. I don't have a flush valve for my tank, so I had to think outside the box. I keep my Rhinoflex hose in a 5 gallon bucket because it won't fit in any poop-tube storage compartments provided by the manufactures. I use the 5 gallon bucket to flush the black tank after dumping. I leave the valve open and dump a series of 3 full buckets. The third dump generally runs clear. I don't have any odor issues after the tank sits empty for a month like I used to and sleep better knowing it is cleaner.
Carleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #18
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
30 Gallon shallow black tank

I have learned not to trust the sensors on your black tank. Rather, wait for the "belch" that welcomes you when flushing the toilet to know it's full. That said, I watched the youtube video demonstration on black tank flushing and realized how terrible most marketed items are. I don't have a flush valve for my tank, so I had to think outside the box. I keep my Rhinoflex hose in a 5 gallon bucket because it won't fit in any poop-tube storage compartments provided by the manufactures. I use the 5 gallon bucket to flush the black tank after dumping. I leave the valve open and dump a series of 3 full buckets. The third dump generally runs clear. I don't have any odor issues after the tank sits empty for a month like I used to and sleep better knowing it is cleaner.
Using a bucket instead of a plastic bag is a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
If your black tank is working correctly you should get any smells inside your camper. If your black tank isn't working correctly, you better polish the inside of your black tank, or else its gonna keep stinking..
While I was filling/dumping, the flush valve was full open (to get the hose in the tank of course), I started noticing the distinctive hydrogen sulfide smell. Very dangerous in enclosed spaces. That alone is a good reason to keep your tank as clean as possible.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Exactly... I guess I don't understand the fascination people have with cleaning their black tanks. I know what is about to go down there the next time I use it, so I am not all that bothered if its "clean" or not.

If your black tank is working correctly you should get any smells inside your camper. If your black tank isn't working correctly, you better polish the inside of your black tank, or else its gonna keep stinking.

The black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate and difficult to get "un-gunked". Wasting 100 gallons of water to scrape some toilet paper off a sensor so it will work until the next time you flush seems excessive to me. Talk to the fella's out west right now dealing with the drought...

I empty my black tanks, occasionally run the black tank flush if I have a full hookup, and put about 5 gallons of water back in before I leave. I let the 5 gallons of water slosh around on the drive home. That 5 gallons of water keeps "stuff" from drying on the bottom of the tank... then it agitates that "stuff" on the way to the next campground.

Thankfully my camper came with a dining table, so I don't need to clean the black tank and eat out of it.

X2.

We haven't had a drought in New England this year, but we sure have had a pretty dry summer! Still I agree it's wasteful to run the black tank flush excessively. I watched a guy at the dump station Monday morning take a good solid 5 minutes while running water through the black tank flush fitting.

Yet... On the other hand, I find the Inlaws don't seem to care when I ask them to use minimal paper and be generous with the toilet flush water. My solution of telling the Inlaws to use the campground facilities is undesired by my DW. So, I see both sides of the issue.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote