Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

Black tank flush

For those who have a black tank flush. What do you do to winterize it. Thank you

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

You might hook a short piece of garden hose and then pour in some antifreeze. You could then blow in the hose go make sure the antifreeze goes where it should. That's what I would do if I had to winterize.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
For those who have a black tank flush. What do you do to winterize it. Thank you
My tank is < 10 gallon so a quart down the hole full strength is more than enough for an empty tank. Pour a cup of antifreeze in the bowl and leave it...it keeps the seal lubricated.

EDIT: Nevermind.....you were asking about the winterizing the flush kit.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #4

I did not know I had to do anything with the black tank flush but glad I seen this post. I will do the same as the city water inlet, connect the air to water fitting and blow compressed air through it
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I did not know I had to do anything with the black tank flush but glad I seen this post. I will do the same as the city water inlet, connect the air to water fitting and blow compressed air through it
This is all I do with mine.
TheRevJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevJosh View Post
This is all I do with mine.
I planned on doing this before leaving on the elk hunt but forgot. We were 3 days around 20 deg. Inlet from the water tank froze solid along with the hose for the flush kit. Nothing happened and when it thawed out I was able to use the flush kit to clean the tank. I plan on blowing mine out here shortly when I out it away for the winter.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

Blow it out.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #8

I read a posting on another forum in which they purchased a 1/2" MIP to 3/4" Male Garden Hose adapter (Watts A-663), removed the outdoor shower head, connected the shower head to the BT flush inlet, and pumped in the pink stuff. I'm planning on doing that for both the BT Flush and the city water connection. For the BT Flush, I'm guessing I won't be able to pressurize the line, but it will at least force out any water that could be sitting in low points of the hose. Hopefully that will be enough.
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #9

The owners manual says nothing, call to dealer wasn't that helpful either. There is a backflow preventer in this short line and it takes a bit of pressure to "open" it toward the black tank. I used a male garden hose fitting to compressed air quick connect adapter (Camco, readily available for winterizing with air) at the flush point, removed the line from the black tank under the trailer and applied 30 psi from my air tank. There was certainly enough water that was forced out to freeze and rupture the line. It doesn't look like it is very accessible should this happen, so be sure and winterize this if you live in the North. I then used a funnel to put a pint of antifreeze into a hose connected to the flush inlet and reapplied some compressed air until the antifreeze appeared at the disconnected end. Reconnected to black tank and pushed through a little more antifreeze just to be sure. Overkill, to be sure, but now I know that I don't need to disconnect the line at the tank, just blow it out and then force through a little antifreeze. I also opened the black tank dump valve and saw the antifreeze come out so I know I'm way good. BTW, the black tank was VERY clean from a good flushing on my last trip of the year.
broman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #10

I bought a hand pump from the local RV shop and pumped anti freeze strait in. It was only 23.00 dollars for the pump. It worked great

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #11

All you need to do for that black tank flush line is blow it out with air. Get a camco blow out plug for a couple of dollars, it will screw into both the black tank flush and city water connection. Set your compressor to 40psi and blow some air down that line. You will hear the water that was trapped in that line spray into the black tank. Make sure there is a decent amount of antifreeze in your black tank and you're good to go. I did this the other night and it took less than 3 minutes.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote