Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #21

My toilet sits right over the tank with no piping or elbows. The wand works great for me; the sensors come back to life every time. The problem with a wand or a flush is the growing number of campgrounds that have no hose connection--just a stupid spray thingy for cleaning up any mess around the "hole".

I have a sewer cleanout along my driveway, works great when I get home at least.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #22

What about the clear units that connect to the black tank. And you attach a hose that sprays back into the tank. The only thing I don't like about installing a black tank flush is cutting a hole in the side of a brand new tt. To mount the water hook up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Tn10point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #23

[QUOTE=Tn10point;495740]What about the clear units that connect to the black tank. And you attach a hose that sprays back into the tank./QUOTE]

Those only clean the pipe and don't work nearly as well as "the wand".

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #24

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but didn't want to start a separate thread.

So, if we are only using the bathroom to pee... is this all necessary? We've never even got the black tank to 1/3 because it's usually just weekend trips for us. Is it ok to dump when it's that low, or should we be just letting the flush fill up the tank more?
TMatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatos View Post
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but didn't want to start a separate thread.

So, if we are only using the bathroom to pee... is this all necessary? We've never even got the black tank to 1/3 because it's usually just weekend trips for us. Is it ok to dump when it's that low, or should we be just letting the flush fill up the tank more?
You will still have toilet paper in the BW tank (unless you are a group of guys), so more water is better. But you won't have to worry about the solids quite so much.

On the other hand, I simply do not understand why some folks don't use the toilet for its intended use. With an exhaust fan, a door, and a good seal on your toilet - why would you not use your toilet for its intended purpose? You still have to visit the dump station.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Grumpy I think you've been misinformed as there are warnings posted by the black tank flush connection that the valve must be open during use. If you use the black tank flush to refill the tank and forget its running it'll back up in the toilet and cause all kinds of mess. I make this statement for some of the newer members of the Forum as not to cause confusion. Now, what I actually do is close the valve after the first dump and back fill it with the tank flush about 2/3's full and dump again. My flush also works well with the valve open.
That is a CYA for the manufacturer.

Talk to any one of the companies who clean RV tanks, such as "Healthy Tanks" or "TanktechsRx". The proper way is to dump, then fill the tank with clean water, then dump again. The built in tank flush just lets the water run over any residual solids if the valve is open..

If your dumping why would you forget the flush is putting water in the tank.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
You will still have toilet paper in the BW tank (unless you are a group of guys), so more water is better. But you won't have to worry about the solids quite so much.

On the other hand, I simply do not understand why some folks don't use the toilet for its intended use. With an exhaust fan, a door, and a good seal on your toilet - why would you not use your toilet for its intended purpose? You still have to visit the dump station.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm with you 100% I would not mind to use it as intended. It's out of my control, DW simply refuses.... She doesn't want to have to deal with it while going to the dump station... Even though she's not the one that takes care of that either.

I think it's a mental thing. No idea though.
TMatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm with you 100% I would not mind to use it as intended. It's out of my control, DW simply refuses.... She doesn't want to have to deal with it while going to the dump station... Even though she's not the one that takes care of that either.

Not sure what she has to "deal" with at a dump station, your all ready there. If liquid or solids comes out, really no difference. The convenience and comfort of using your own toilet I would think, would out weigh any qualms your DW may have. Having see how females' use public bathrooms (you don't want to know) I would think she would be much much happier to use her own. Once you put the pipe in the dump "hole" you have no idea if it's solids or liquids...

I can say, without a doubt, women bathrooms are 5 times dirtier than men's. Females have a tendency to "hover" rather than sit, resulting in.....well you get the picture.... Having worked at campgrounds, and retail for number of years, it's disgusting what they do to bathrooms. Men, rarely is there a mess...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You probably wouldn't at a dump station since that's all your doing. At a full hookup site after your initial dump, it takes a while to back fill a 40 gallon tank with the flush and its possible to get distracted. The reason I brought this up is because I've read about this happening to several members of the Forum in the past.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I can sure appreciate your situation, and keeping the peace with the DW is more important than anything.

Just curious though. Do you always stay at campgrounds with flush toilets and running water? How does DW feel about visiting a vault toilet in a USFS or BLM campground, which is just a big concrete BW tank buried in the ground and a metal toilet seat on a riser, and a smell and a view that isn't so very nice. Going to that in the night, or in the pouring rain doesn't seem like such a nice thing to do.

How about if you tell her that you'll wear throwaway rubber gloves and wipe your hands with disinfectant towlettes after doing the dump station thing and before you climb back in the tow vehicle?

I'm guessing you've already made these arguments - sometimes you just can't win.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #31

Quote:
That is a CYA for the manufacturer.

Talk to any one of the companies who clean RV tanks, such as "Healthy Tanks" or "TanktechsRx". The proper way is to dump, then fill the tank with clean water, then dump again. The built in tank flush just lets the water run over any residual solids if the valve is open..

I bought a bottle of the TankTechsRX, mostly b/c you mentioned it in a different post and I value your opinion. I'm interested to see how it works this season.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I bought a bottle of the TankTechsRX, mostly b/c you mentioned it in a different post and I value your opinion. I'm interested to see how it works this season.
That's all I use, 2 capfuls, no odors even after a week of 85+ temps.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #33

Back flush proponent

My Whitehawk came equipped with a back flush. I camp a lot at full hookup sites so have access to water. I also have a clear elbow to observe the effectiveness of the drain. I can assure you that after I drain no matter how full it was and what additives I used the tank is NOT CLEAN. How do I know? I put 5-10 gals via back flush and drain again. It takes at least 3-4 partial fills and drains before the water is clean. If you never back flush or use a wand THOROUGHLY your tank is not clean. We bought a hi pressure wand made for washing cars and put a 90 degree elbow on it so could really apply water with some force and it is the bomb. Do it about every 3rd time.

By the way. I am one of those who got distracted and forgot to turn off the hose. It should have ejected out the vent but due to a defect the entire black tank collapsed from the trailer. Warranty paid for replacement but we had to go without a toilet for 6 weeks. So now I set reminders on my phone so can't get distracted.

Bottom line (sorry couldn't resist) is do both back flush and spray in tank. Good luck
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #34

I think a lot of folks put too much thought and effort (not to mention fresh water) into cleaning their black tank. Just rinse it every now and then. Flush the toilet with at least a full bowl of water and don't stand there holding the foot peddle down for 20 seconds with the ball valve open and you should never have an odor problem. Been doing it that way for 20 years and all is well. As long as it doesn't stink it's clean enough. It's really not that complicated.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Brain fart usually. Distraction maybe. Doubt anybody would do it on purpose. It happens all the time. I've heard of many who allow the tank to overflow up the toilet onto the floor.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #36

Quote:
That's all I use, 2 capfuls, no odors even after a week of 85+ temps.
Is this all you use now? I was following GEO for awhile - I'm still considering using the left over fabric softener I still have to keep the tank coated/slick.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #37

Instructions for black tank flush are to leave the dump valve open while using the flush. I don't understand why other than they're afraid folks will over fill the tank. I do it in a variety of ways. I fill the tank with the valve closed (although this is contrary to the instructions). Dump and repeat. I never walk away while flushing the tank.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Instructions for black tank flush are to leave the dump valve open while using the flush. I don't understand why other than they're afraid folks will over fill the tank. I do it in a variety of ways. I fill the tank with the valve closed (although this is contrary to the instructions). Dump and repeat. I never walk away while flushing the tank.

I do the same thing. One trick I do is I set a timer on my phone for like 5 minutes. When it goes off I open up the valve.
timj088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Is this all you use now? I was following GEO for awhile - I'm still considering using the left over fabric softener I still have to keep the tank coated/slick.
Yep. You don't want to add anything that is not safe for you to eat or drink.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Yep. You don't want to add anything that is not safe for you to eat or drink.
I think everything I put in my black tank is not safe for you to eat or drink.