Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #1

Black tank flush

Should I install a black tank flush on my 212qbw when it arrives. Or just buy the wand you stick down the toilet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Tn10point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #2

I wouldn't do either. Just keep the tank closed until almost full and use a nearly full toilet bowl of water with each "solid" flush.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

I have a black water flush on my trailer, never used it. I've had lots of trailers in the past, no flush, and didn't do anything but open the valve to empty, close the valve and step on the petal to add a couple gallons. Haven't had any problems so far.

Its just a holding tank, doesn't mater if it nasty. I don't use any chemicals in it either.

Different strokes.....

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenelz View Post

Its just a holding tank, doesn't mater if it nasty. I don't use any chemicals in it either.

Different strokes.....
Yeah, many people think it's like your home septic tank but it's not. It's basically a 5 gallon bucket full of you know. Just bigger than 5 gallons.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #5

Spraying the inside of the tank with either built in black flush or external wand will help keep the sensors clean and more accurate. Inaccurate black tank sensor reading is a common complaint with many RV owners. I use my black flush every time i dump the tank even though I always wait until the tank is full before I dump it. My sensors have always been accurate. I'm a little OCD! LOL!

As for your question, I guess it's a matter of convenience.
If you install a black flush, it would be more convenient accessing it from the outside rather than running a hose inside the rig to put the wand down the toilet, but either way it will help keep the sensors clean.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

In your shoes, I would use the wand. You don't necessarily have to clean it out every time you empty the tank but after every trip and at the end of the season would be good.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
In your shoes, I would use the wand. You don't necessarily have to clean it out every time you empty the tank but after every trip and at the end of the season would be good.
I wouldn't do it in "your shoes", I'd do it down the toilet.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #8

Excuse the newbie question here. If you are at a campground with a city water hookup and a dump station, would it be helpful to give to toilet a few clean water flushes to get the black tank fuller and it's contents more diluted before dumping?
tomnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnjo View Post
Excuse the newbie question here. If you are at a campground with a city water hookup and a dump station, would it be helpful to give to toilet a few clean water flushes to get the black tank fuller and it's contents more diluted before dumping?
Right before dumping get as much water as you can get in the black tank once you know you are going to the dump station.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #10

It's amazing, even if you dump full, use chemicals etc, how much more you get after your done dumping, with the tank flush. I don't flush every dump, but it certainly makes a difference when you do.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #11

The proper way to use the built in flush is to fill the tank a second time after you dump, not flushing with the valve open.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
I wouldn't do it in "your shoes", I'd do it down the toilet.

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 03-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The proper way to use the built in flush is to fill the tank a second time after you dump, not flushing with the valve open.
Grumpy, are you saying that you fill the tank a second time using the built in flush with the valve closed? Or are you saying, that you fill the tank a second time and then use the built in flush while it's dumping? I'm confused...doesn't take much

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 03-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Grumpy I think you've been misinformed as there are warnings posted by the black tank flush connection that the valve must be open during use. If you use the black tank flush to refill the tank and forget its running it'll back up in the toilet and cause all kinds of mess. I make this statement for some of the newer members of the Forum as not to cause confusion. Now, what I actually do is close the valve after the first dump and back fill it with the tank flush about 2/3's full and dump again. My flush also works well with the valve open.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
It's amazing, even if you dump full, use chemicals etc, how much more you get after your done dumping, with the tank flush. I don't flush every dump, but it certainly makes a difference when you do.
I agree 100%.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
... and having a clear elbow/straight section will show the debris that is being flushed from the tank.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #17

I use the wand, well I have the two model, the one that have a spinner and the other with just a jet, dont waste your money on the spinner the one with the jet do a much better job. I use it every second dump, keeps the level indicator accurate and make me feel better. And yes flush, rinse with the wand, fill half of the tank with fresh water and dump again, this receipe works well for me

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Spraying the inside of the tank with either built in black flush or external wand will help keep the sensors clean and more accurate. Inaccurate black tank sensor reading is a common complaint with many RV owners. I use my black flush every time i dump the tank even though I always wait until the tank is full before I dump it. My sensors have always been accurate. I'm a little OCD! LOL!

As for your question, I guess it's a matter of convenience.
If you install a black flush, it would be more convenient accessing it from the outside rather than running a hose inside the rig to put the wand down the toilet, but either way it will help keep the sensors clean.
X2 here also. It is amazing how much more stuff comes out the clear hose fitting I have attached to the hose when I run the black tank flush. Mine is built into the black tank so I just attach the garden hose to the black tank flush at the back of my trailer.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:18 AM   #19

For ease of installation, a wand would be the better route. Not sure what actually does a better job cleaning though.

As an alternative to dragging a hose inside for a wand, you could add a tee by the toilet (or under the sink maybe) and make a set up to hook up the hose there. I would highly suggest installing a check valve just to be safe. Or maybe you could hook up to where the shower head attaches to the faucet, with an inline check valve.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #20

I recently had to remove my black tank flush and clean it (was plugged up with p**p and hadn't worked in almost a year. My trailer has an enclosed underbelly, and it took quite a while to remove all the hex-head machine screws that hold the underbelly liner in place, then pull it down, then replace it when I was done. (See my post in the "What did you do to your Jayco today" thread for a complete description.) Works great now!

I purchased a "wand" to use until I had the opportunity to get the task done, and it works O.K., but not as well as the built-in flush. This summer, I'll be hosting at a Michigan State Park CG where the host site has sewer but no water. And the water stations around the park will not accommodate a hose or a water bandit. I purchased a 3/4" male garden hose x 1/2" MPT fitting at the local hardware store. I will use it to hook up the wand to my hand-held shower hose in the shower. In addition, I may pull up and haul over to the dump station every month or so to get a really thorough tank cleaning. Should get me through the summer.