Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #1

Black tank flush mod on 2018 28BHBE

I been reading stories where the black tank flush will eventually leak over time. I want to prevent it from happening and wondering if anybody has instructions of how they did the mod. If I'm not mistaken the flush valve is split and that value that Jayco uses is pretty cheap. So instead they run it straight into the black tank. Just trying to get more information of how it was done.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
I been reading stories where the black tank flush will eventually leak over time. I want to prevent it from happening and wondering if anybody has instructions of how they did the mod. If I'm not mistaken the flush valve is split and that value that Jayco uses is pretty cheap. So instead they run it straight into the black tank. Just trying to get more information of how it was done.
Thanks

First understand that there is some controversy to the mod. I simply removed the flush valve [vent] and reconnected the plumbing so that the flush shoots directly into the tank. The valve is there Ive been told to provide a vacuum break and to prevent potentially syphoning back out of the flush fill connection.

My flush valve was defective and diverted incoming water back out the vent resulting in flooding inside the TT. It is not supposed to do that as a ball is designed to block the vent and open the flow into the tank but the failure I experienced is apparently fairly common. Its an easy mod, just a little awkward working under the bathroom sink cabinet.

After the mod, you connect the water line to the flush input on the side of the trailer and turn on the water. When done, shut off the water and dump.
Syphoning will not occur if the flush connection is higher than the top of the black tank. You can also protect things by turning off the water and then slowly loosening the connection of the line to "vent" pressure from the line before completely removing the hose.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Interesting, the leaks occurs because the valve that suspose to prevent backflow fails? Is that same line joined with another line?

Old 02-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #4

Has anybody used the flush king valve vs using the black flush valve on the side of the TT

Old 02-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
Has anybody used the flush king valve vs using the black flush valve on the side of the TT

A friend of mine uses one of those and all it did was clean part of the pipe. Didn't do anything for rinsing the tank. Probably depends on if the tank is at the same level as the rinser. But even then I don't see it rinsing anywhere as good as the flush.
I also know folks who have removed the rv back flow preventer and then used a vacuum break on their rinse hose...does the same thing.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #6

I use the flush King valve and it works pretty good. I just attach the hose,time it out for about five minutes and then open the valve. Sometimes Iíll do if you times until it comes out clear. It definitely comes out more than just line it back so if into the tag and will fill the tank until it comes out inside the camper so you have to be careful.
Bigmoo315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #7

Good to know, I have a black flush valve on mine but if this does a better job then may be worth it.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #8

I use the Flush King valve at every stop. I install it when I hook up my sewer hose. I find it works for me but also will note that there is a "YouTube" video that test all of the different methods of cleaning the tanks. It showed that all it did was to fill the tank, the higher you filled it, the more debris that would empty.

travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #9

The Flush King does not do even half the job the tank flush does. The built in tank flush sprays most of the inside of the black tank, not just pushing water back in through the valve. And, since there is a 90 deg turn into the tank (at least on my trailer), the full force of the spray is not getting to the tank.

But, the built in tank flush unit can get plugged up and not work until you take it out and clean it. Not a job for the feint of heart

The backflow preventer on the flush line is provided per code. It prevents black water from flowing out that line if the tank is over filled. The valve is up above the top of the toilet for that reason (as well as not allowing a suction back to the water supply line). Due to a leak I disconnected the lines to that valve on my unit.

About once a month I use a good wand in through the toilet to clean out the tank as much as possible. It is also handy if there is a partial blockage at the tank outlet.
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #10

YouTube channel "The fit RV" has a bunch of videos where he mocks up a black tank in a clear box and tests a few of the add on flushers. Very interesting to watch