Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #1

black tank flush option

Hello all - first time poster here, although I've been lurking for a while now. My wife and I and 3 kids have been camping for years in an old Dutchman popup and have decided to buy our first TT this spring. The Jay Flight 26BH and the Jay Flight SLX 264BHW are on my short list.

Two options available from the factory on the 26BH which I don't see on the SLX 264BHW are the black tank flush (part of the elite package) and the thermal package. Some of the other available options sound nice but I nothing I can't live without.

I'm not worried so much about cold weather camping, but is there an advantage to having the bottom of the trailer closed? The 26BH I saw at an RV show had the thermal package installed, so I don't know what it would look like underneath without it. Are there water lines or wires exposed to the road under there?

I've never had to deal with a black tank before so I'm not sure how important the black tank flush option is. I see you can buy a wand like thing that can be pushed down into the tank from the toilet to flush the tank out - doesn't sound like fun to me. Is the tank flush a big deal or am I making too much of it?

Thanks for any info or thoughts!
new2rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #2

I think there are advantages to enclosed heated underbelly; however, I think it could also give folks a false sense of security. You can still freeze up with the enclosed underbelly. If you plan on doing ANY cold weather camping, I would keep researching and reading post from folks who cold weather camp to be prepared. The camper I have now is at the dealer getting warranty repair for the second time for a leaking black tank :-( This was easy to spot with an enclosed underbelly.

I have a black tank flush on my camper. It's okay. After using it, It's not a feature I would put very high on the 'must have' list. Maybe because our camper has an exterior door to the bathroom which makes it easy to use a hose down the toilet to spray.? If I had to drag a hose through the RV to get to the toilet I may be more exited about the black tank flush.

Good Luck!
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rvs View Post
... I've never had to deal with a black tank before so I'm not sure how important the black tank flush option is. I see you can buy a wand like thing that can be pushed down into the tank from the toilet to flush the tank out - doesn't sound like fun to me. Is the tank flush a big deal or am I making too much of it? ...
Hi new2rvs,

On the Blank Tank Flush Kit:

From my experience, I would highly recommend you getting the black tank flush option. It's very important to keep the black tank clean. If you don't solid waste will get built up in the tank, harden, and over time your TT could start smelling like an out house.

On past TT that didn't have one, I installed one my self. I've also installed the Camco Tornado Flush kit on the gray tanks to help keep them clean also.

On the enclosed underbelly, there's pros and cons to it and more personal taste.

With our FW, it's the 1st time I've had an enclosed underbelly.
It nice to keep the underbelly warm in cold weather, but a pain when trying to get to anything under the frame.
We've camped in cold weather with our TTs that didn't have an enclosed underbelly with no problems.
Would I get an enclosed underbelly again? Probably.

Hope this is of some help to you.
Good luck.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
Site Team

There are many ways to flush the black tank. The one that is factory installed is no big deal but it is convenient to give it a good flush every now and again. It's just a tank mounted sprayer with a hose inlet and a check valve.

I like the covered underbelly cause it keeps the underneath from getting muddy and wet. It is not a big deal to get access once you do it once.

Read some on here and you will find loads of info on both and some pictures also. Or ask anything specific.

Welcome to JOF.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Snip... Two options available from the factory on the 26BH which I don't see on the SLX 264BHW are the black tank flush (part of the elite package) and the thermal package. Some of the other available options sound nice but I nothing I can't live without.

...snip.... Are there water lines or wires exposed to the road under there?

I've never had to deal with a black tank before so I'm not sure how important the black tank flush option is. I see you can buy a wand like thing that can be pushed down into the tank from the toilet to flush the tank out - doesn't sound like fun to me. Is the tank flush a big deal or am I making too much of it?

Thanks for any info or thoughts!
Hello to you new2rvs and welcome to the forum.

Black tank flush: It was 1 part of the Elite pkg on our TT, but there were other things, too; upgraded sink faucet, twice the fresh water capacity, skylight in the rear living room all come to mind. I've appreciated having ALL of them. If you camp with full hookups, flushing the black tank with the black tank flush option is something you can do easily with no muss, no fuss. Without a built-in black tank flush, there is other stuff to buy and other steps you need to take to keep the build up of solids in the black tank to a minimum.

Thermal pkg: My thoughts (right or wrong) was that the insulation might help to keep the trailer more comfortable in both hot and cold weather. We camped in both this year, but I have no way to tell what (if any) difference the thermal pkg made.

Enclosed underbelly: Yes, there are water lines and wires running underneath the trailer. Some wires etc. are run outside of the underbelly even if it is enclosed.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #6

I have found that the "wand" is just as effective as the factory installed black tank flush. Just not as convenient.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum new2rvs!

We have the black tank flush on our TT where as on our old motorhome, we used a wand. It is much less hassle with the built in black tank flush. With the wand, we used to feed the hose through a bathroom window and then go to work. But now we just hook up the hose, let it run for a few minutes, then drain and repeat. There is a need for caution while using the flush, you need to make sure not to let the water run too long. I've read a few posts here of folks that had a real mess when the black tank overflowed up through the toilet and all over their rigs. Other than that, it's a real breeze to use it. Keep us posted on what you end up buying. Can't wait to see photos too.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #8

Thank you for all of the quick replies. This is very helpful information for me.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I have found that the "wand" is just as effective as the factory installed black tank flush. Just not as convenient.
+1
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #10

I have never used a black tank flush. Our black tank is clean. After dumping I add a few gallons of water, pinsol and sometimes liquid fabric softener. The solution slosh while traveling. Always ensure lots of water is in the tank, or it will clump and the tank does not empty as well.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #11

I'm pretty sure there are other differences between the 26BH and the SLX26BHW..
With the Elite version, you get the better toilet, skylight in kitchen area, LED lighting. Pretty sure the 26BH(jayflight) has a thicker floor the the SLX(light weight model). Also, pretty sure the outside storage doors are larger on the Jayflight than the ones on the SLX..
Been a couple years since i compared them so things might have changed...

As for Black tank flush, i use mine all the time and works great.
Thermal package with the enclosed underbelly is nice, keeps the trailer both cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.. the thermal package also gives you better insulation in the walls of the trailer i beleive..
enclosed underbelly also helps keep things clean underneath and harder for rodents to get into trailer...

for me the extra $ spent on my 26BH Jayflight over the SLX was a no brainer..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #12

Thanks again for all of this info - I appreciate all of the answers.

Quote:
for me the extra $ spent on my 26BH Jayflight over the SLX was a no brainer..
I was quoted a lower price (by $1000) for the base 26BH model than for the SLX from one of the big wholesalers. When I asked why they told me that they selll so many 26BH models that they are very often "on sale". This was for new 2016 models.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks again for all of this info - I appreciate all of the answers.

I was quoted a lower price (by $1000) for the base 26BH model than for the SLX from one of the big wholesalers. When I asked why they told me that they selll so many 26BH models that they are very often "on sale". This was for new 2016 models.
Unless your restricted to a lighter trailer because of your tow vehicle, the Jayflight 26bh is a better buy IMO
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote