Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Black tank flushing

What does the black tank flush actually do ..dump water,,,,,. Splash water ___or. _ on a TT 22 to 28 foot
gebabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
RAZ

The back flush has spray heads inside the tank that are supposed to rinse the tanks walls and bottom. There's a pretty good stream of water flowing through the sewer hose, so I assume that it' has pretty good spray coverage inside the tank. I am able to get the black tank clean with about 2-3 rinse cycles each filling up to between 2/3 and full on the gauge. BTW, I have a 2016 28DSBH.
RAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:28 AM   #3

I find I still have to do some additional rinsing of the tank even with the BTF. Don't get me wrong, it works ok, but it doesn't seem to "scrub" the tank quite as well as I'd like. I'll dump the tank initially, then fill and flush again. Sometimes, more than once. The clear elbow at the valve helps me confirm the tank is clean. There's been times that I've filled my black tank a couple times after the valve flush and still seen gunk coming out, even after the 3rd flush. So yeah, you still need to do a little more to thoroughly clean the tank. But all in all, it's a great thing to have.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:39 AM   #4

There is a nozzle in their that spins and shoots water all around the tank. It makes a world of difference compared to our old Kodiak that didn't have one. Dump it all the way then turn it on and stuff starts coming out. I'll let it run then close and let it fill a bit and open repeating a few times till it runs clear and stuff stops coming out.

Key is to always have a lot of water in the tank while using it. Don't be skimpy on the water when flushing the toilet so "stuff" don't dry in the bottom or pile up dry.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #5

My 2012 Jayco 29 RLDS did not come with a black tank flush. after I dump it I fill it with water again, 1 or 2 times, dump it again then I use one of those things you attach to the end of a hose that reaches down in the tank and sprays water in several different directions, I watch the clear elbow where the water comes out and let it run until it ruins clear.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #6

My tank flush works great but I agree, don't skimp on water going down the toilet. The more water in your black tank the less chance of plugging something up and of a pile of dry stuff accumulating at the bottom.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
JRD

As I recall, the Jayco TT manual says to use the black tank flush with the drain valve OPEN.
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
As I recall, the Jayco TT manual says to use the black tank flush with the drain valve OPEN.
Yes, to avoid an overflow into the unit.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #9
RAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
I start with dumping the tank and then I allow the tank to fill. I usually have someone watch the tank level meter to let me know when I am at 2/3 and as soon as the LEDs show FULL, I pull the valve. I usually follow up with two cycles filling to 2/3. A final rinse to 1/3 full usually confirms the tank is clean.

You definitely should have someone there to let you know where the tank level is. It sure would be nice to have a remote panel near the valves so that you could keep tabs on the levels yourself. Anyone know about a mod for adding a second panel?
CURT Round Bar WDH
RAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #10

I'm still pretty new to the TT thing, but when we are at the end of our trip, I'll dump the black tank and then run the flush for 15-30 minutes while I pack up other stuff. Seems to work well. Much nicer than having to go in "from above" with the magic wand. Yuck.