Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Black tank Odor

I've been living in my Eagle 338RETS for over 6 months now, and just this last black tank dump, I noticed a smell coming from the toilet when the ball opened. I've been using Happy Campers, and have never smelled the hint of an odor (organic or chemical). Was this odor just because I had just dumped? I usually flush for 5 minuted minimum when I dump. I'm guessing I have organics that are not flushing totally, and will only smell after dumping. How can I clean this out, short of putting in the nasty chems and taking the trailer out for a spin? I have a friend who uses Rid-x will that take care of some settled out organics (which I am guessing is the source of the odor)?
gratefulbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #2

First, Rid-X should not be used in an RV holding tank. It contains bacteria which is beneficial to septic tanks. Your holding tank is not a septic system. It does not retain waste long enough for bacteria to perform any useful function. Plus it stinks all by itself.

Use chemical specifically for RV holding tanks. Such a Camco TST orange. Available at Walmart. It helps with odors by forming a thin film on the surface of the waste.

Another cause of odor entering the camper is running the ceiling exhaust fan when you flush. The negative pressure created by the fan will draw air up through the toilet from the black water tank. If the roof vent is blocked is a possible, but less likely cause.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

This is suppose to eliminate the odor
360 Siphon RV Vent Cap

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #4

Wondering if you added enough water back into the tank.

Could there been just enough wind coming from just the right direction, allowing the odors to enter through the toliet.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #5

When you say you flush for a minimum of 5 minutes, can I safely assume you are using your black tank flush, not just letting the contents flush by gravity?
When you flush, do you (for short periods), close the BT valve and let the flush run in the tank, then open the valve. I do this 4-5 times every time I dump. I use the BT flush every time I dump.
Also, Jagiven suggested you add several gallons of water to your tank once you have ceased your dumping process.........along with adding RV BT chemicals.
Good luck with it.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #6

We use a clear sewer hose adapter and flush the tank until there is no residue observed.
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T1023...56PEGJJDR713WX
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
First, Rid-X should not be used in an RV holding tank. It contains bacteria which is beneficial to septic tanks. Your holding tank is not a septic system. It does not retain waste long enough for bacteria to perform any useful function. Plus it stinks all by itself.

Use chemical specifically for RV holding tanks. Such a Camco TST orange. Available at Walmart. It helps with odors by forming a thin film on the surface of the waste.

Another cause of odor entering the camper is running the ceiling exhaust fan when you flush. The negative pressure created by the fan will draw air up through the toilet from the black water tank. If the roof vent is blocked is a possible, but less likely cause.
Actually Rid-X makes a new product especially designed for RV holding tanks. Works very well, I think better than the Camco products we were using.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote