Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Sorry for the late reply, we were out of town for a few days.

We've had a Camco 40103 wand for many years. I did drill three more small holes in the end cap so it sprays in all four directions at once. I don't have to twist it all the way around any more to get the spray to all the sides of the tank.

https://www.campingworld.com/holding...788a9de963147d

They do make one with a swivel sprayer on the end, but I haven't had the privilege of using one of those, it may work better.
Thank You! I'll look into one.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:28 PM   #42

Try Happy camper, it works so well, I will never buy another brand! Works well even in extremely hot weather, you will be surprised how much you love it! Be sure to follow the manufacturers directions. Swear it cleans the sensors also....
Marycontrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:03 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraftonGuns View Post
Not enough water to break down the solids. Flush like you are home. We use happy Camper and copious amounts of water. When ready to dump the tanks, I fill them with fresh water till full then dump. No problems or stink in 5+ years.

X2
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #44

Well, we have now been 2 other places, then back home. After we moved from that one campsite, there have been no more problems. When we dumped, there was nothing unusual. I did flush about twice as much as usual. What I have done, is to now start out the black tank with 3+ gallons of water instead of 2+ gallons like we have done for years with no problem. I also put in twice as much of the blue stuff as we used to use. As for running the fan in the bathroom, I always open a window when running it, except when I ran it backwards and then flushed the toilet to see if it would smell. It did, even though the pressure was the other way, should’ve forced fresh air into the black tank and out the vent, Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021JayFlight28BHS View Post
I use this (1/4 cup of blue dawn and 1/2 cup of borax) in my tank between outings and after a black tank flush, it seems to help with odor and breakdown of residual….also it’s good to leave a couple of gallons of water in the tank between trips. I also put ice in my black tank right before I leave for the campground…figure this will help “scrub” the tank on the drive there.
Thanks to you for posting this!
Thanks to this smart man in the video who's spent a lot of time working this out!
Thanks to JFlightRisk for recommending the magic toilet wand! We got the one with extra long hose and the whirly-gig head on the end.
Our stink is GONE!
The Borax is money, and the wand is amazing!
Thank you!
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #46

It's definitely the toilet paper pyramid of stank.... I just take a hose and blast it out!
Big TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:31 AM   #47

I realize this is an old thread, but let me tell you how I solved the problem. when flushing the wmell would "nock you out". I took the cap off the vent and cut about 1/4 inch of the vent hose pit the cap back on sealed it with Dicor. no more smell. Apparently it could not breath. saw this on another thread somewhere. Hope it helps somebody.
remlapda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:28 AM   #48

Remlapda, are you talking about shortening the length of the vent pipe on the roof? If so did you find any obstructions?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:34 AM   #49

actually that was what I was looking for. no obstructions at all. I think the pipe was just long enough to almost seal against the cap. with nowhere to go up the smell had to come out when flushed. It wasn't a somebody pooped smell it was a strong burn your eyes smell.
remlapda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:04 AM   #50

I think I remember a thread about the black tank vent pipe being improperly installed, to where it extended too far into the tank. I suspect this is not the case at hand if the smell overtakes the bathroom even with a near empty tank -- unless the vent pipe became blocked at the bottom. I know that residential sewer vent pipes can be cleared by putting water hose into the top.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:38 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
You're gonna have odor, regardless. You're opening a tank "vent", for the lack of a better word, and letting all the accumulated gases in that tank out as water flushes in. You can curb the smell by doing what the others have said with the wand. It doesn't matter how well you think you're cleaning and flushing your tank, it'll always have a certain tinge to it.
x2 You are moving air, and venting into your interior.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:53 PM   #52

Opening up the vent cap Good idea will check it out
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:51 PM   #53

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40595-W...ps%2C99&sr=8-3
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:46 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
Those absolutely work. A friend of mine bought one and it totally removed all his bad smell.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:01 AM   #55
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Those absolutely work. A friend of mine bought one and it totally removed all his bad smell.
There was a fix similar to this for the now discontinued ( a completely disgusting model) Thetford Recirculating Toilet. A Small 12v fan was installed in the 1 1/2 vent line. I can see how this item would totally fix the problem.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote