Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

black tank sprayers

I should now this, but I dont and am not sure where to find it. Trying to find out if our 2018 Whitehawk MRB 23 has the black tank sprayers that clean the tank out after use.
Insight or direction would be much appreciated!
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #2

Black Tank Flush

If you have them, then it would be located on the side of your unit near the city water hook up, water heater, etc. It is a regular hose hook up just like the city water hook up, but it has a label over it identifying what it is for.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #3

Okay i must have them then, because I do have a hook up to flush the tanks on the outside of the trailer next to the city water hook up, just wasnt sure if they had the sprayers in the black tank that help clean it out. Must be all in one set up.
Thanks
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
Site Team

That water inlet feeds the sprayer which is mounted near the top of the black tank.

First time you use it, look inside and make sure it isn't leaking. Some say that connection leaks from the factory. If so, it's just a loose clamp on a hose.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #5

It's not always on the side near the city water hookup, etc. On my 23RB, it's on the rear of the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
If you have them, then it would be located on the side of your unit near the city water hook up, water heater, etc. It is a regular hose hook up just like the city water hook up, but it has a label over it identifying what it is for.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

A black tank flush comes standard on the 2018 23MRB. The connection to your black tank flush is most likely located outside your tt near your fresh water connection. Connect a hose to the black tank flush connection when emptying your black tank. Turn on water to the hose connected to your black tank flush to run water through your black tank flush sprayer which is located inside your black substance holding tank. Water will spray into your black tank through the black tank flush sprayer as you turn on water to the hose connected to your black tank flush. This is to help clean out the residue inside the black tank. Make sure you open the black tank valve (connected to the sewer) when you turn on the water to the hose connected to the black tank flush in order to drain the water you are spraying into the tank or you will fill up the black tank and overflow your toilet inside your tt.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwhit View Post
Make sure you open the black tank valve (connected to the sewer) when you turn on the water to the hose connected to the black tank flush in order to drain the water you are spraying into the tank or you will fill up the black tank and overflow your toilet inside your tt.

I know it not recommended, but I also close the drain valve and fill the tank a bit via the black flush, then empty and repeat. This helps rinse the tank even further, But you should never leave it unattended when doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I know it not recommended, but I also close the drain valve and fill the tank a bit via the black flush, then empty and repeat. This helps rinse the tank even further, But you should never leave it unattended when doing this.

I didn’t want to say it but I also do this. I’m very careful to not to get distracted though while doing this.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwhit View Post
I didn’t want to say it but I also do this. I’m very careful to not to get distracted though while doing this.
Same here.

I also have a shutoff valve where the end of the hose connects to the flush. If/when someone talks to me or I have to move away, I shut off that valve.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I also have a shutoff valve where the end of the hose connects to the flush. If/when someone talks to me or I have to move away, I shutoff that valve.
I like that idea. I too am guilty of closing the black tank and letting it fill a bit to get a good flush.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
I like that idea. I too am guilty of closing the black tank and letting it fill a bit to get a good flush.
Guilty too... I set my phone alarm for ten minutes, just in case.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I absolutely fill the black tank with water every time!!! I have one of those clear 45 degree connectors that i run coming from my drain outlet to the hose, and I have proven that just by letting the water run thru the flusher DOES NOT clean as you would hope it would.

What I have started doing is time how long it takes to fill the tank to just past the 3/4 mark. I get my son inside at the panel checking the lights and i am outside next to the handle using the stop watch on my phone. It's usually 5 minutes to fill the tank, but on each trip we double check the time in case there is a change in water pressure. Once I got my time figured out, I set the timer on my phone just in case I get distracted and get to cleaning.

You would be suprised at just how much "extra" you get out of the tanks when you fill it up and drain it a few times. Our rule is that unless you get 100% clear water coming out, fill it back up and go again. Yes, it may take 45 minutes sometimes to clean the tank, but I would rather spend the time doing it right over leaving something behind that I don't want to.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaynard View Post
I absolutely fill the black tank with water every time!!! I have one of those clear 45 degree connectors that i run coming from my drain outlet to the hose, and I have proven that just by letting the water run thru the flusher DOES NOT clean as you would hope it would.

What I have started doing is time how long it takes to fill the tank to just past the 3/4 mark. I get my son inside at the panel checking the lights and i am outside next to the handle using the stop watch on my phone. It's usually 5 minutes to fill the tank, but on each trip we double check the time in case there is a change in water pressure. Once I got my time figured out, I set the timer on my phone just in case I get distracted and get to cleaning.

You would be suprised at just how much "extra" you get out of the tanks when you fill it up and drain it a few times. Our rule is that unless you get 100% clear water coming out, fill it back up and go again. Yes, it may take 45 minutes sometimes to clean the tank, but I would rather spend the time doing it right over leaving something behind that I don't want to.
One other thing I also do at the end of each camping trip - after my first "drain" of the black tank, and before I turn on the tank flusher, I turn off my water heater and spray the remaining hot water into the toilet. I just run the hose over from the shower, hold my foot on the toilet flush arm, and spray hot water into the tank. Now the cold water is also coming from the toilet at this time, so it's not 100% hot water.

I know what some of you are thinking - what about the smell??? Well, I have never had an issue with any foul odors making their way back up.

This may not be an option for some of you, but it works great for us!
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
I did it too and suffered the consequences. Never again

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #15

We have the same trailer. The black tank hose inlet is above the tank outlets about 1/3 of the way up the side of the trailer and it is marked with a notification of its purpose. FYI, this information is in your manual.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
That water inlet feeds the sprayer which is mounted near the top of the black tank.

First time you use it, look inside and make sure it isn't leaking. Some say that connection leaks from the factory. If so, it's just a loose clamp on a hose.
Same issue on our 33BHBS Black Tank Flush Line leaking after the first few uses. Found that the vacuum breaker for the flush line (installed in the linen closet) was upside down. We had the hardest time trying to determine the source. Once we did, and after several wet towels later, all we had to do was flip up the vacuum breaker. Now it’s on my “check list” to check before we flush out the tank.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #17

Follow-up question: Do you use a pressure regulator on the hose to the black tank flush? I don't, but always wondered if I should.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
Follow-up question: Do you use a pressure regulator on the hose to the black tank flush? I don't, but always wondered if I should.

I place my pressure regulator at the fresh water supply faucet and use a Y connection to split the hose to my fresh water and my black tank flush. I also place a water filter on the fresh water hose. In the past I’ve connected directly from the water supply faucet to the black tank flush inlet without problems. However, these days I always use a pressure regulator on the black tank flush line. I worry about too much pressure blowing out a pex connection or the vacuum breaker in the black tank flush line. If that happened I would have to gain access to fix it and I want to avoid that.
mmwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #19

I still have the original vacuum breaker after 5 years and no leaks[knock on wood]. The only reason it hasn't leaked is because I bought a spare just in case LOL. The apparatus that I made for the black tank flush that screws onto the hose is as follows; 40psi regulator, which screws into a on/off valve topped with a 90* elbow which screws into the flush on the side of the trailer, all inline. I also have easy access to eye the vacuum breaker during flushing to check for leaks.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #20

Never had a black tank flush system. Don't no why you need it. But new trailer on order has one. Is this something that has to be winterized ? I just always put 3 gallons water in black tank cap full of soap and drove home. 15 years no issues.
groundhog72 is offline   Reply With Quote