Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #1

Black Tank Valve problem

Hi All,

We have a 2013 Eagle 314BDS which has been a fantastic trailer since we bought it new in 2013.

We went camping over the Labor Day Weekend. The site did not have full hook up and we rarely ever have full hook ups. We went to the dump site and when I took the cap off to connect my stinky slinky, I got a mad rush off Black Tank liquid all over the ground. I have not even opened the valve or connected the hose.

It was about 3 seconds of liquid and then stopped. I cleaned up the dump site once I completed my duties emptying the tanks.

When I got home, I did a little investigating with water and a bucket.
Once the black tank has a few gallons in it, the valve begins to leak and fill the tube. It is a slow leak, but when sitting at a site for 3 days, it filled the tube from the valve to the cap.

My question is how is the best way to clean / clear this?

My trailer does have a black tank flush system and I have a "Flush King".

After several attempts to clear the valve, I am still getting a leak.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Valterra...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #2

This may help to temporarily solve your issue. I've been thinking of getting one just for the added security of not making a mess.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...s%2C172&sr=8-8

2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi

2019 Jayflight 28BHS - SOLD
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max -Retired
SE Michigan
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #3

Could be some TP stuck in the seals or even a bad seal since it is 6 yrs old. It's an easy replacement, just be sure you flush the tank good before starting. Or do as justlb33 suggested and add the second valve.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #4

I use that Valterra valve and it solved my problem.
Tacoma2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Could be some TP stuck in the seals or even a bad seal since it is 6 yrs old. It's an easy replacement, just be sure you flush the tank good before starting. Or do as justlb33 suggested and add the second valve.
Hi Grumpy,

Thanks for the suggestion, so now I am wondering where to get a seal? Is this something my dealer would carry or is this a special item that would need to be ordered? If I do need to order one, is there a brand name for the valve or size of seal that is special?

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 09-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlb33 View Post
This may help to temporarily solve your issue. I've been thinking of getting one just for the added security of not making a mess.
Thanks for the suggestion and that is what I am currently doing with my Flush King. It is a little bigger than the one you recommend, but still solving the problem for now. I would prefer to replace the seal as Grumpy said or clean out any materials that may be in the valve seat.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 09-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Site Team

snip..."Thanks for the suggestion, so now I am wondering where to get a seal? Is this something my dealer would carry or is this a special item that would need to be ordered? If I do need to order one, is there a brand name for the valve or size of seal that is special?[/QUOTE]

More than likely your valve is a Valterra Bladex brand. The two seals are 3", and most any RV dealer will carry a kit to replace them.

When you open/close the valve with the handle, you're manipulating a plastic slide between the rubber seals on either side of it. Some debris stuck on them, or torn/worn out seals will give you the leak. You can buy seal lubricant as a preventative/maintenance routine.

You have to remove the valve from the discharge to get to these seals.
The black tank flush is OK, but doesn't get to all of the tank. A flushing wand down the toilet will do a more complete cleaning.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlb33 View Post
And when that one starts leaking, you can just add another on top of it! Soon you only have to open 10 valves to empty! :P
OdiN1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #9

It may be that the seal is still ok but needs cleaning. If you can reach it with the black tanks flush wand like this one, Camco 40103 Holding tank rinser with shutoff valve. Rinse it open, part closed and fully closed. If you can't get that one around the corner they also have one that has a flexible hose and sprayer nozzle that will go around corners. Good to have one or the other for black tank clean-out.

There are youtubes on how to replace the waste valve or seal.

200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #10

I had the same problem with my black tank valve on my '12 Eagle. I just replaced the entire valve assembly. I was going to replace the seals but since I had to remove the entire assembly to do that I just put a new assembly in because they're not expensive.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:16 AM   #11

Talking

Thank you to all for your responses. I was on my home from work yesterday and I made it a mission to fix this problem. I stopped at my local dealer and purchased a new valve assembly.

Once I got home and under the trailer, I quickly realized this was not going to be a fast or easy fix. My trailer has the sealed underbelly and my Black Tank valve was covered. I was able to follow the handle and extension and I cut the plastic until I located the valve assembly.

I got the old assembly out in about 15 - 20 minutes. Here is what I found:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190904_162150387.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	53113

Name:	IMG_20190904_162159652.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	53114

Instead of installing the new one, I elected to clean it out and test.

Name:	IMG_20190904_163057891.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	53115

Name:	IMG_20190904_163112811.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	53116

With the old assembly cleaned and installed after about 30 minutes, I put about 20 gallons of water in my black tank and let it sit overnight.

When I left for work this morning, I opened the Flush King valve that I had on to keep liquids from leaking, and I had no liquid draining in to my bucket.

I am going to call this a success and keep the new assembly for future use.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 09-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurJayco View Post
Thank you to all for your responses. I was on my home from work yesterday and I made it a mission to fix this problem. I stopped at my local dealer and purchased a new valve assembly.

Once I got home and under the trailer, I quickly realized this was not going to be a fast or easy fix. My trailer has the sealed underbelly and my Black Tank valve was covered. I was able to follow the handle and extension and I cut the plastic until I located the valve assembly.

I got the old assembly out in about 15 - 20 minutes. Here is what I found:

Attachment 53113

Attachment 53114

Instead of installing the new one, I elected to clean it out and test.

Attachment 53115

Attachment 53116

With the old assembly cleaned and installed after about 30 minutes, I put about 20 gallons of water in my black tank and let it sit overnight.

When I left for work this morning, I opened the Flush King valve that I had on to keep liquids from leaking, and I had no liquid draining in to my bucket.

I am going to call this a success and keep the new assembly for future use.

And thank you for coming back and updating so others (including me!) can learn from this.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:09 AM   #13

A warning to those of us that camp with the honey wagon.

If you know that the duty is going to happen, do not let the black tank fill to the point that the honey wagon will not hold the contents. Please don't ask me how I know.

I now use the quick connect/disconnect valterra valve for both portable macerator and honey wagon operation to help prevent spillage. In both operations after waiting in what seams like an eternity for the black tank to completely dump, I pour a bucket down the toilet to clear the tube and cutout valve. I also have found that my grey tank drain system will clean the stinky slinky but not the black tank tube. This I found after draining the grey and then particles were falling out after disconnecting.

Additionally, I use the clear extension tube to monitor ALL operations now..

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #14
Site Team

snippit…"I am going to call this a success and keep the new assembly for future use. [/QUOTE]

Great find. We knew it would turn out OK! I have a collection of spares, too. Propane regulator, original faucets we swapped out, etc. I found out it comes in handy from time to time.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #15

Thank you for the follow through! I have been criticized numerous times for my tank flushing practices; they are excessive compared to most, but I think my extra efforts are paying off as I have no stink, no clogs, no valve trouble, and no leaks.

So glad you got it back to "good." Very good pictures for insight - Thanks again!
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #16

I would try emptying the tank at a dump station that has a hose to clean the area. After emptying, open the black tank valve and push the hose into the the pipe. You want wrap the front of the pipe with a towel so you don't get sprayed. If you have something stuck in the valve seat this may dislodge it. If it doesn't work, see above. After you are done you can clean the debris with the hose.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote