Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

Black tank woes

New member, first post. 2015 White Hawk ultra-lite 24RKS.

The black tank sensors have never really been accurate. Recently after complete dump and rinse, sensor registered full. Got a water jet thinking I could clean it out but discovered either a baffle or something solid near the opening to the toilet. Is this normal? Couldn't get the jet past it . Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks.
Ol'Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you sure it's an obstruction or the bottom of the tank? Many black tanks are not very deep. I had another brand that had a 90 degree bend in it about a foot down, I never had any problems with the tank.

All OE sensors are crap, I'm so over worrying about what they indicate.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #3

My black tank is 40 gallons but probably only 6-7'' deep. Get a flashlight and you should be able to look down through the toilet to the bottom of the tank with no obstructions. Want more accurate sensors? Get some Calgon liquid water softener [not fabric softener] and add it to 5 gallons of water and pour it in the black tank just before your next trip so it sloshes around in the black tank as you drive. Worked wonders for me.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
My black tank is 40 gallons but probably only 6-7'' deep. Get a flashlight and you should be able to look down through the toilet to the bottom of the tank with no obstructions. Want more accurate sensors? Get some Calgon liquid water softener [not fabric softener] and add it to 5 gallons of water and pour it in the black tank just before your next trip so it sloshes around in the black tank as you drive. Worked wonders for me.
You may have solved my problem for me. I was about to ask what is the best way to drain and rinse out the black water tank on my 213QBW? I drain it and put a hose down through the commode and run it until the hose runs clear, but I'm not sure that's really getting rid of everything.

Would what you suggest above, putting something in the tank and letting it slosh around until I get to a dump site work? I would think something more cleansing than Calgon, unless it does more than I'm aware of, would be.

I am very open to any method of cleaning the black water tank out. If anyone has any suggestions I would like to hear them. Thanks
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #5

The Calgon coats the sides of the tank making it slick so things don't stick to it as well, fowling the sensors. I also add a 1/2 cup of bleach and a couple of generous squirts on Dawn dish soap. Should've stated that in my previous post. Grey tank gets the same thing. It's called the GEO Method. Works for me. https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Old 05-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandC View Post
You may have solved my problem for me. I was about to ask what is the best way to drain and rinse out the black water tank on my 213QBW? I drain it and put a hose down through the commode and run it until the hose runs clear, but I'm not sure that's really getting rid of everything.

Would what you suggest above, putting something in the tank and letting it slosh around until I get to a dump site work? I would think something more cleansing than Calgon, unless it does more than I'm aware of, would be.

I am very open to any method of cleaning the black water tank out. If anyone has any suggestions I would like to hear them. Thanks

For the last year or so, after dumping the tanks, I add one cup "Rain Drops water Softener" and one cup "Happy Camper" (both at Amazon). No problems with the sensors or odor either.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
The Calgon coats the sides of the tank making it slick so things don't stick to it as well, fowling the sensors. I also add a 1/2 cup of bleach and a couple of generous squirts on Dawn dish soap. Should've stated that in my previous post. Grey tank gets the same thing. It's called the GEO Method. Works for me. https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Thanks to you and John for your information. I think that takes care of my worries.

Now, if I just knew how to back this thing up better I'd be set.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #8

I added one of these so that I didn't have to drag a hose into the TT. Put a quick connect on it to make it easier to attach the water hose to it. It allows you to put it on the opposite side from the dump valve so you're rinsing towards exit but the connector is on the side with the dump valve...no running back & forth!

https://www.campingworld.com/tornado...YaAn7NEALw_wcB
Old 05-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin149 View Post
I added one of these so that I didn't have to drag a hose into the TT. Put a quick connect on it to make it easier to attach the water hose to it. It allows you to put it on the opposite side from the dump valve so you're rinsing towards exit but the connector is on the side with the dump valve...no running back & forth!

https://www.campingworld.com/tornado...YaAn7NEALw_wcB
Thanks...I'll check that out.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:53 PM   #10

How much Calgone?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #11

I add about a cup to 4 gallons of water then into the black tank prior to the next trip.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #12

I run power blue black tank chemical and always keep 10 gal of water in tank after dumping. So you're never using a dry tank. Your stuff needs some water to go in. It's a pit toilet pretty much. It gets sloshed around while towing around and the power blue breaks down any solids that could be left. I think the owners manual even states to keep some water in tank so you dont have a pile of stuff and paper piling up in there.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15BlueStreak View Post
I run power blue black tank chemical and always keep 10 gal of water in tank after dumping. So you're never using a dry tank. Your stuff needs some water to go in. It's a pit toilet pretty much. It gets sloshed around while towing around and the power blue breaks down any solids that could be left. I think the owners manual even states to keep some water in tank so you dont have a pile of stuff and paper piling up in there.
My problem with that is I live in Phoenix, AZ. No way to keep water in the tank for long during the summer while in storage. I just have to make sure it is really clean before storing it.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
My problem with that is I live in Phoenix, AZ. No way to keep water in the tank for long during the summer while in storage. I just have to make sure it is really clean before storing it.
Me too just filled tank to max 3 times let sit an hour or so each time before dumping. On third try clear water.First time we did that process in almost three years. Vent pipe was plugged bad Oder in bath. Going to try that Calgone see what happens! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
AJ NEW YRS.jpeg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #15

Will all the water evaporate? The power blue is some nice stuff. Doubt you will get odors if water was left in there. But we do not see high temps for long periods of time here like you.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Me too just filled tank to max 3 times let sit an hour or so each time before dumping. On third try clear water.First time we did that process in almost three years. Vent pipe was plugged bad Oder in bath. Going to try that Calgone see what happens! Thanks
I had the vent pipe fall down into the tank and every time we started to use it, it would get really, really stinky in the trailer. Took a while to figure out what was going on with that - luckily it was still under warranty at the time and I didn't need to work on it myself.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15BlueStreak View Post
Will all the water evaporate? The power blue is some nice stuff. Doubt you will get odors if water was left in there. But we do not see high temps for long periods of time here like you.
For us, yes. It gets hot, there is a vent, it will evaporate. I have tried to leave water in it with a cleaning tab in it. All it did was made it worse. The tab drys and is hard to get rid of. Took a few times for me to figure that out too.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #18

I have a former neighbor that had a seasonal tt in the phenix area. When she left in the spring, she said she pUT something like 40 5 gallon buckets in the tt full of water. When she returned in the fall they where all empty. She stated everyone there did that the help keep the glues from drying out.

But I would think if your using the tt every few weeks to a month, if you added 10 gallons of water to the tanks, you would still have a few gallons, to keep the tank healthy.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #19

Think I will dump a gallon in my tank right now. Leaving for Prescott AZ next week! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #20

Hello,

Great time to head up, the weather has been fantastic!

Where are you camping up here?

Chris