Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #1

Black Water sensor problem

26 DSRL White Hawke
Can anyone advise on how the sensors in the Black or Gray tanks work? On our 4th trip the Black tank showed 2/3 full (3 lights), but when I went and empty the tank it had at the most 5 gallons or so of fluid. Then I checked the sensor light on the inside panel it shows 1/3 full (two lights) on. I flushed the tank twice with clear water and the sensor is still showing two lights on, and yes the trailer is level on a concrete slab. Thanks !!
rdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #2

That will be a normal instance of black tank sensors. You'll find looking into the tank will be the best gauge of how full it is.

We all have gotten used to the uselessness of the black tank sensors.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #3

You need to check the video out on this site. http://www.miracleprobes.com/ They simply work.
CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #4

Thank you for your response.
rdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #5

I had this same question on our second time out. A fellow camper told me that it was common due to toilet paper and other build up in the tank. It is kinda just a guessing game.
Slab cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #6

I have the same problem as well. One website I visited recommended that you leave about 10 gallons in it and add a bag of ice the next time you haul your trailer. The sloshing of the ice around in the tank is suppose to help clean it. I haven't been anywhere to test it though.

Another recommended the same 10 gallons, but adding water softener to the tank instead and hauling to slosh it around the tank.
IronmanMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #7

If you go to the website and watch the video, it explains why the sensors always read wrong. Has nothing to do with debris, it has to do with the electrical conductivity of the liquid that is in the tank and coating the sides. The sensors I listed break that connection so no more false readings. We installed them on our last fifth wheel and never had a problem. Will be doing it on my new Super C when I get the chance.
CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

This is an on going issue. I like the idea of ice, but never used it. After dumping the black tank I add a few gallons of water to the black tank and add a few ounces of PinSol. The idea is as you drive down the road; the fluid sloshes and knocks the TP (toilet paper) off the sensors.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTed View Post
...it has to do with the electrical conductivity of the liquid that is in the tank and coating the sides.
The problem always seems to affect the black tank. Why would the liquid in the black tank be any more or less conductive than the liquid in the grey tank?
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #10

It is the TP. The TP sticks to the tank walls and to the sensors. The TP acts as a wick completing the circuit. If you drain the tank completely whatever paper and other goo, sticks to the tank walls will dry between trips. It sticks on really well and becomes like wallpaper. This is why I place a small amount of clean water and PineSol to wash the tank while driving. The fluid sloshing keeps the paper moist and knocks the paper down. If it is allowed to dry on the sensors it is stuck for a very LONG time, and gives false readings. As for the grey tank, all you ever add really is soapy water and no solids that can act as a wick.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTed View Post
You need to check the video out on this site. http://www.miracleprobes.com/ They simply work.
I have miracle probes in my black tank they are better than stock but still act up. Best to look down toilet to be sure.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #12

I had the same issue with my White Hawk after the 2nd trip. There's no problem with the systems, just the sensors. My Swift SLX had this issue also.

The fresh water tank is full when it overflows. Gey water is full when water backs up in sink or shower. Sewer is full when you can see it when you flush. If you don't want the tanks to fill, empty them whenever you want. The White Hawks have black tank flushes so you can clean the tank of debris after each dump.

I've stopped worrying about the monitor panel.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoyb View Post
I had the same issue with my White Hawk after the 2nd trip. There's no problem with the systems, just the sensors. My Swift SLX had this issue also.

The fresh water tank is full when it overflows. Gey water is full when water backs up in sink or shower. Sewer is full when you can see it when you flush. If you don't want the tanks to fill, empty them whenever you want. The White Hawks have black tank flushes so you can clean the tank of debris after each dump.

I've stopped worrying about the monitor panel.
Yep, when the grey water backs up into the bath tub I know the tank is full.

I cannot tell from looking into my toilet. It always looks like it is full.
IronmanMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoyb View Post
The problem always seems to affect the black tank. Why would the liquid in the black tank be any more or less conductive than the liquid in the grey tank?
Coors is more conductive than Dawn.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote