Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2023, 02:51 PM   #1

Black water sensors

I have a 2003 Jayco Kiwi 21C and the Black water tank sensors are very erratic. This fall I flushed the tank with a wand through the toilet extensively but still no go. I will try the dishwasher soap and ice cube trick next but I have my doubts. My question is, where are the probes located and are they user serviceable. I would like to clean/replace them if possible
mdeshaies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 03:30 PM   #2

If you clean them, they will get covered in toilet paper and feces the next time you use them. If you replace them, the same thing will happen. It is what it is. You learn to use the toilet, you learn how many flushes you get until you are full, you learn what it sounds like when its getting full.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:00 PM   #3

I turn off the water pump, and step on the pedal. The toilet drops straight into the black water tank and, with a flashlight, you can see exactly how full the tank is. It's not pretty and the fuller it is, the less pretty it is. We go empty the tanks when it gets real ugly.

I guess if you are on city water you'd have to go turn off the tap and drain down the pressure but we have are never on city water so that doesn't apply for us.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeshaies View Post
I have a 2003 Jayco Kiwi 21C and the Black water tank sensors are very erratic. This fall I flushed the tank with a wand through the toilet extensively but still no go. I will try the dishwasher soap and ice cube trick next but I have my doubts. My question is, where are the probes located and are they user serviceable. I would like to clean/replace them if possible
Serviceable, no, replaceable yes. They're located on a side of the tank, with very small gauge colored wires attached to the sensors. There's a You Tube video on how to easily remove them, and I replaced ours with Horst Miracle Probes. A completely different design, and aren't as likely to gunk up.

These are for the black water tank:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T213.../dp/B00YJIB7WE

And these are for the gray water tank:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T213...e%2C613&sr=1-2

Here's the video on removing the old ones, so you can reuse the original holes. I watched it before I changed ours, and makes it easy

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I replaced ours with Horst Miracle Probes. A completely different design, and aren't as likely to gunk up.

Curious, how long have your miracle probes been in use, and in your opinion, are they worth the changeout? Some reviews on Amzn haven't been favorable.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISTEP View Post
I turn off the water pump, and step on the pedal. The toilet drops straight into the black water tank and, with a flashlight, you can see exactly how full the tank is. It's not pretty and the fuller it is, the less pretty it is. We go empty the tanks when it gets real ugly.

I guess if you are on city water you'd have to go turn off the tap and drain down the pressure but we have are never on city water so that doesn't apply for us.

I do that now but when the”women” use the camper on their outings they are reluctant to do so….
mdeshaies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 08:31 AM   #7

Don't bother with using ice cubes...
It's not a valid resolution..
AlexG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Curious, how long have your miracle probes been in use, and in your opinion, are they worth the changeout? Some reviews on Amzn haven't been favorable.
I replaced our gray tank sensors in July 2020 due to the tank always showing 1/3 full. I tried the tank blaster stuff to no avail and with no way to flush it I decided to try them out. The 1/3 sensor had a black crusty thing on it when I pulled it out.

I did get the new sensors for the black tank, but haven't needed to change them out yet. We wand flush it every chance we get, and seems to be keeping them clean enough. I'm hopeful I won't have any of the problems the bad reviewers say they've had with the black sensors when I do finally swap them out. Their individual circumstances can vary greatly, and we'll never know how they all treat or care for their tanks. We all know you can't please everyone all the time.

I do think they're worth the cost., at the least for the gray tank. The tips that sense liquid are at the very end of the sensor, and I don't see any way for them to ground out for a false reading.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
If you clean them, they will get covered in toilet paper and feces the next time you use them. If you replace them, the same thing will happen. It is what it is. You learn to use the toilet, you learn how many flushes you get until you are full, you learn what it sounds like when its getting full.
I can't tell you the last time I actually even looked at the tank sensor monitor. I follow this guidance 100 % of the time.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:55 PM   #10
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I can't tell you the last time I actually even looked at the tank sensor monitor. I follow this guidance 100 % of the time.
I have not looked at mine in years. When it burps I dump it. I backflush when I do dump until water comes out clear. Worrying about it is not worth the effort.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:12 PM   #11

Holding tanks on travel trailers are so shallow it takes a lot of water in the tank before solids won’t stick to the bottom. Most of us don’t put enough water in the tank before using it to prevent this. Over time even flushing the tanks doesn’t help much. It takes a lot of water and effort to keep tanks clean. After a couple of days of routine use I dumps them and don’t use the gauges.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:36 AM   #12

I use 1 cup Borax dissolved in hot water in my tanks and every once in a while, clothes or dishwasher detergent. I bought our Alante used and the sensors weren’t correct. Two times using this at 1/3 full and leaving in until time to dump and sensors are working fine. You have got to get rid of struvite on the sidewalls of the tank. Also, never use bar soap in shower or sink. Soap scum is not good. Always liquid soap(really detergent not soap).
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:49 AM   #13

My sensor always works and never fails.......my eyeballs plus a flashlight!

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:58 PM   #14

I add 1/2 cup of Calgon water softener after each dump along with 5 gallons of water. Tank & sensors have remained clear/clear thus far. I also have used a variable degree fitting on my pressure washer that works much better than the wand.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
I add 1/2 cup of Calgon water softener after each dump along with 5 gallons of water. Tank & sensors have remained clear/clear thus far. I also have used a variable degree fitting on my pressure washer that works much better than the wand.
clear/clean
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:08 PM   #16

That gauge isn't as quite as high end as the mattress that comes with trailers.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 12:41 PM   #17
Site Team

Moderator note: This thread is back on track.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote