Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #1

Black water tank not reading correct

I have a 2021 jay flight, 264. The black water tank when empty will read empty. But as soon as you use it a couple of times, it reads 3/4 full, and stays there. I tried the flush out, even filled the tank with just water and added 10lbs of ice cubes. drove it home, then emptied. It read empty but on the next trip, a couple of flushes and it was reading 3/4 again. it was back to the dealer and they said they moved the sensors. Next trip, same thing. I'm now 4 hrs. away from the dealer and don't want to keep making trips out there when the problem is not being fixed. Has anybody else had a similar problem and any suggestions for a fix?
Joe Farischon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:49 PM   #2

You will find a bazillion threads on tank sensors. Factory sensors are notoriously unreliable. It just takes one little piece of toilet paper stuck to the side of the tank. My 2021 North Point has been like that since day 1 or 2.

As you use the trailer, you'll come to know how close the black tank is to full based on your usage. And then the sensors will appear to work and you'll think it's resolved itself.

And then, they'll be messed up again. I've never had a camper with 100% reliable tank sensors, I stopped losing sleep over it years ago.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
You will find a bazillion threads on tank sensors. Factory sensors are notoriously unreliable. It just takes one little piece of toilet paper stuck to the side of the tank. My 2021 North Point has been like that since day 1 or 2.

As you use the trailer, you'll come to know how close the black tank is to full based on your usage. And then the sensors will appear to work and you'll think it's resolved itself.

And then, they'll be messed up again. I've never had a camper with 100% reliable tank sensors, I stopped losing sleep over it years ago.
That's pretty much what I figured and it's not a big deal. The older trailers I had never had gauges, and Accuracy on the fresh water tank is more important to me. Just figured with it being brand new that it should work better than what it does. Thanks for replying.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:50 PM   #4

I rented RVs for years and it seems no brand is immune to this problem. I've seen videos that talk about scaling and pyramiding, but yours is so new. I just bought my own rig that has a built in black tank flush but not always able to use it. Videos regarding ice in the tank show the effect is very minimal, but hey, there is some effect, so it's not a total waste of time. Per some folks suggestions on the forum, I just bought Calgon to put in the black tank to keep it slippery in there for hopefully less pulp stickage. And I do have the girls put pee paper in the trash so there's less paper going into the tank. I rent my rig out so I'm trying to keep this as functional as possible. I have not had a trip longer than 5 days though and have never filled up a black tank in that time.
fnlvr234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #5

Erratic readings are a feature. Similar to the old blue screen of death with personal computers. These features are included by manufacturers in their products to keep customers engaged so they don't get bored and complacent.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #6

How true, We're going through the senile part with my mother in law now. It seems every day I have a new one. At least if I do something wrong, it's only a one day sentence. It seems there will be no fix for this. Just one of those things you have to learn to deal with. I'm just a bit of a perfectionist. If you design something, then I think it should work properly when your done. Instead of having sensors along the sides that TP is going to stick to. It would make more sense to me to place a type of sonar unit at the top and reference the depth from there. But what do I know, that just seems to make sense. Thank you your reply. May your campfires always burn bright.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
Site Team

My tank is 11 years old and the only tank sensor I can depend on is the fresh. It's the only one I depend on for the level because nothing is in there other than clear water to give false readings.

There are dependable ones like SeeLevel but they will cost you to upgrade. The industry chooses to go with the cheapest one available.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:45 PM   #8

Check your ground connection.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Here's a thought. When I was under ours installing the new Horst Miracle Probe sensors on our gray tank, I found two sensor wires switched, from the factory. it would read full when it was only 3/4.

They're easily tested with two people. One underneath grounding out one sensor at a time from the bottom up, and one inside pushing the test button. The white wire is the ground.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #10
eow

Ditto on the ground connection.

Also at the start of the season before heading out, I pour in a few gallons of warm water and liquid laundry detergent into empty waste and grey tanks. Seems to help reliability for the season.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:26 PM   #11

Agree, most OEM waste tank sensors are unreliable at best. Things to consider- Listen how your toilet sounds when flushed, you may be able to recognize when the level gets towards the top. If my Grey #1 water tank is full it usually backs up into shower on my unit. This will differ depending on you unit's plumbing. Get a twist on gate valve for your drain hose connection and you may be able to buy some time by closing the twist on valve and opening others, the tank levels will equalize depending on their level and location. Personally I will not equalize a black tank into a less full grey tank. 🤢
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:27 PM   #12

We’re on our third unit. Fresh sensor works advertised. My grey sensors are ballpark accurate. Black tank sensors on all three have been somewhat unreliable. Never even brought it up with the dealers. No point. Just how it is. The good news is, it takes a lot to fill a black tank. I’ve done it once. Not me personally. It was a family effort over the course of 5 or 6 days.

One thing I make sure to do is to get a lot of liquid in there before dumping. I tell everyone to be liberal with the flushing if we’re hooked to water. Just before we dump, I get even more water in there. All in an effort to topple the pyramid and take the tissue out when I pull the handle. May help some.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Our gray started to always read 1/3 when empty after 8 years of use. I did the tank blaster chemical, which didn't clear it up, but that was without traveling with it in, to slosh around. It might've worked if I did do that. No enclosed underbelly, so I popped the old ones out and installed the Horsts. The old 1/3 sensor had a black flakey gunk on it.

The black tank will get the same brand of sensors (but with the upper shield for black) when they start to misread.

Same as TxLoser and everyone else, LOTS of water, and the DW is running water down the toilet as I'm dumping it. Then we wand it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote