Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Black water tank treatment

I tried using search but could not find the answer exactly... . Sorry in advance if there are 1,000 threads. We are newbies.... After dumping and flushing black water tank and next adding 2 to 5 gallons of water with a enzyme added. Will the tanks always maintain water/enzyme mixture going forward during camping season? During 1 to 4 week intervals of storage as an example. During winterization storage 2 to 3 months do you flush out and add different chemical mixture for longer term holding?
We are just about to take our new 26bh out and want to make sure we don't leave something in the tanks that will come back to haunt us. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
mbpayne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #2

Here is what we do.

When we empty and flush the tank consider it like it like it is new. We don't bother with adding in a few gallons of water. We just dump on the way out. Then the next time we go camping when filling the camper or once hooked up to city water. That is when we add water again and add enzymes.

So when in "storage" in our driveway it is sitting there completely empty with no treatment in it.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #3

I would suggest keeping 5 gallons or so in your tank. When you dump flush it out well then about the 5 gallons. As you drive home this will slosh around and help keep paper etc from clogging your sensors. I would also add the chemicals at that time, it will help with odors. At the end of the season I would flush well, perhaps add a little bleach and some water allow that to slosh around and then dump it completely. Last thing you want is the residue to harden it is almost impossible to get out once you get that build up.

And yes, each time you dump you need to add additional chemicals to aid in breaking down waste and also to help control odors. Also use an appropriate TP, you do not want to get paper build up either. Happy Camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #4

My Jayco Owner's Manual says the following after dumping and flushing the black water tank:
"1. Release one to two quarts (1 or 2 liters) of water into the toilet bowl.
2. Follow the directions on your (RV approved) toilet chemical bottle (customer
supplied), by placing the recommended quantity of holding tank chemical into the
toilet bowl.
3. Flush the toilet and allow at least two gallons (8 liters) of water to flow into the
holding tank."
So, I do that after every dump all during the camping season leaving about 2 gallons of water in the tank between trips. When winterizing, I dump and flush the tank really well and leave it dry. I dump about a gallon of RV antifreeze down the toilet, so the black tank dump valve does not freeze and crack. I also pour a little into the toilet bowl so the flush valve o-ring does not dry out over the winter.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #5

We dump it when done and leave it dry until the next time we go out, then we add a little water and the packet of chemical.
For winterizing I add some antifreeze to the tank after draining and flushing as best I can with the hose nozzle down the toilet. Add a little to the toilet to keep the seal moist.
Knock on wood no problems 7 years later.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
BCK

Like others have said you need to add after each dump. We add enzyme treatment to the black tank with some water from the toilet bowl after dumping the tank.

Keep in mind too that if you are using enzyme and plan to continue using enzyme then don't use a chemical treatment, bleach, other similar product or put dishwater down the toilet if you use antibacterial soap. They are all designed to kill bacteria and are quite effective at it. If you use a chemical then your enzyme treatment will not work. I have come across quite a few RV parks that are on septic rather than city sewer that will not allow you to dump if you use chemical treatments because it kills the bacterial in their septic system too.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #7

Yup, I always like to have water in the black tank. I like to leave maybe 1/4 tank and if it will sit for a while in storage or if it starts to smell while we are camping I add chems. I like the idea of some water to slosh around while we are moving. Recently I've started adding a 1/2 cup or so of Dawn after I dump prior to leaving the CG to help with the cleaning process.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #8

Wags999 is doing it the correct way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #9

I always dump after even a weekend, even though it's not full. I make sure the grey is full, and flush the line and waste line with that water. Put two or three gallons of water in the black tank, add treatment and leave it until next trip. Also, I use regular TP. I do a really heavy flush out once a year using the camper's flush feature and a wand down the toilet, and do get a bit of residual TP. But into sixth year and zero problems.

Probably shouldn't have said that!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #10

I'm glad this thread came up as I have been trying to flush my black tank every trip only to find that there is always more that needs to come out.
I always do the black then the gray but I am needing more water after the flush so I am thinking from now on I will fill the black tank with as much water as possible right before I drain and see if that will make a difference? Or if I am at a full-hook up to drain tanks then fill up black tank with more water and drive to the dump station then drain a 2nd time? Does this sound like a good plan?

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #11

The more water the better in the black tank before dumping and if you do not have a Black Tank Flush then yes, refilling and dumping a second time is a good idea.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #12

After every time you dump, you need to add additional chemicals. 1st add water, least 10% of the tank size, so if you have a 50 gallon black tank and about 5 gallons of water, and I would say never less than 2-3 gallons. Then add you RV toilet chemical of choice, most people use a prepackaged dry bags. I normally use about a 1/2 cup of Pinesol. At the beginning of the season, I may add a package of RV toilet chemicals too. Never let your dirty water tanks be dry. Never use bleach, as bleach kills the good bacteria that keeps the odor down. I always get a little odor issue in the spring for a few days, once the tanks get wet again.

If you poop and put TP down the toilet, always add a LOT of water to the tank. If you do not you will get what is known as a poop pyramid and it is not fun to remove. Once in a while if my sensors are not working so good (there known not to work good) I add a cup of liquid fabric softener to a 5 gallon bucket of water and pour this solution down the toilet and a sink drain. Water softener and fabric softener, is a "Water Wetter" it helps any dry particles get wet/soft so they will drain easier, and break down easier. As for draining the black tank, fill the black tank 3/4 full or more, before dumping. Often people dump their kitchen dish pan water down the toilet, just for having extra water.

When you winterize the TT, this is the only time you will want the waste tanks to be completely empty. Any small amount of residual water will not damage the tank, as the tank is flat, and he surface area is large, so the ice has no strength to break anything.

I do not worry about totally draining either of my tanks. Having some residual waste water helps with the bacteria growth that keeps the odors down.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
I'm glad this thread came up as I have been trying to flush my black tank every trip only to find that there is always more that needs to come out.
I always do the black then the gray but I am needing more water after the flush so I am thinking from now on I will fill the black tank with as much water as possible right before I drain and see if that will make a difference? Or if I am at a full-hook up to drain tanks then fill up black tank with more water and drive to the dump station then drain a 2nd time? Does this sound like a good plan?
Not a bad idea at all. When we winter in the RV, I always let the black tank fill completely before draining it. If that's convenient, that I think that is the best approach. Of course, on weekend trips that's not possible. But the more water in there both before and after dumping the better off things will end up
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #14

yes, and if you use the one-ply TP it also helps. Try experiment and you will see what I mean. use canning jar filled with water, add 1-ply TP, shake and see it disintegrate. much better for your tanks. Scott brand TP (shows for septic tanks on cover) is 1 ply and is much cheaper than the 1ply to purchase at camping supply store. Charmin will for sure clog your tanks.
Maysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpayne74 View Post
After dumping and flushing black water tank and next adding 2 to 5 gallons of water with a enzyme added. Will the tanks always maintain water/enzyme mixture going forward during camping season?
The answer to the question is "no". The next time you dump the tank you dump all the enzyme that was in the tank. If you wanted to keep the maintain the enzyme level you would have to add additional enzyme after every dump.

We had my last TT for six years. After every dump we'd add two gallons of water and blue PortaPak packet in the tank before leaving the campsite and let it slosh around on our trip home. In six years we never had an odor problem with the exception of one time the vent pipe became blocked.

Never leave the tank empty. I've seen videos of tanks that are suppose to be clean after being dumped and flushed using various tank flush systems and there is always "stuff" left behind. In a dry tank that "stuff" hardens like concrete and over time reduces the capacity of the tank.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote