Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #21

This gives a new meaning to brown bag special.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
This gives a new meaning to brown bag special.
That one made me literally laugh out loud!

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #23

me either!!!!! Yuk!!

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #24

Tank draining issue

I use a Flush King when dumping the tanks. There are other brands that do the same thing. It is a clear device with a gate valve and an upstream hose port. When the drainage is done, you close the gate, hook a garden hose to the smaller port and back flush the tank. It takes a few minutes to accumulate the fresh water, then close off the fresh water supply and open the gate valve. You would be surprised what will come out. You are flushing the whole drain system, from the outside. I flush the gray water tanks too, to be sure that the valves are clear. 2 or 3 times usually clears the tanks.

Another comment about the 'concoction'.... be sure that any of the ingredients do not contain chlorine. Ammonia and chlorine can be very dangerous, it mixes to form a gas that is toxic.

One last thing, when we had a 25E, the drains were not pitched very well, I would put a plank or two to raise the opposite side to help with the flow. Our Jay Flight does not have that problem.

Good luck with the drains, many good suggestions.
Bob in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat_Willie View Post
So here's what I've learned:

Guidelines for Successfully Draining the Black Water Tank
1. While storing your RV at home, add a gallon of the "Magic Concoction" (or Calgon) to the tank and fill to less than 1/3.
2. When leaving home and heading to the CG add 10 pounds of ice cubes to the tank.
3. When arriving at the CG fill the tank to 2/3 and drain into sewer connection or dump station.
4. Keep the tank drain valved closed and only open when draining.
5. Fill tank again to less than 1/3 and add a gallon of "Magic Concoction" to the tank yet again.
6. Consider disposing the toilet paper with the "brown-bag" alternative instead of tossing paper into the tank.
7. ALWAYS fill the tank to 2/3 prior to draining.
8. Add a "clear" drain hose fitting to the exterior outlet sewer hose connection to provide a means to visually confirm tank liquid outflow.
9. Thoroughly rinse the tank after draining.
10. Head home.

(aka Steamboat Willie)
Before dumping have a minimum of a 2/3 full tank. As we pack up someone will hold open the toilet valve until the tank starts to fill up. After you dump depending on your tank size start with 2-5 gallons of water in the tank. We put the water in the tank as we leave the dump station with our tank concoction. We never let the tank go dry (expect for the winter). As we drive home the water sloshing helps clean the tank.

Liquid fabric softener, make the water “wetter”, basically it breaks the water tension.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #26

I'm happy to report that the "Magic Concoction" mixture appears to have worked very well. No BW tank draining issues this time. We added it to the BW tank prior to departure from home and also added the ice cubes. With the use of that clear-plastic 45 deg coupler at the drain port I could see that the drainage flow was much better than I had seen in the past. It drained quite smoothly after 4 days of camping. So, from now on, the magic-mixture and ice cubes treatment are a must.
Steamboat_Willie is offline   Reply With Quote