Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

Blew my mind!!!

So I take my trailer in for some warranty work before it runs out in Jan. I have water leaking out of the aft bottom seal right above the trailer receiver. The service lady said that they will peel back the under wrapping and look, but since its winterized, they don't want to put water to the system due to the potential cold weather. She said if they did then I would have to pay for them to winterize it. I asked how much thinking it would be $30-$40 and she said $199!!! I said what??? She said that's what they charge there. And I said because they don't want to do it!!! So I still don't know if they will be able to fix my camper. im really hoping I heard her wrong on that.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Get your Jayco Rep Phone number for your Area and call.
If they service ,they should have a indoor area to check it out ..
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #3

Negative Ghostrider... they have to do whatever they need to do to fix it. If it requires putting water in the lines and then winterizing, so be it. I would be on the horn with Jayco quickly. Jayco has been a good manufacturer and stood behind their product for me.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #4

It seems to have become common for many dealers to try and set their own rules when it comes to warranty work. In this case if the trailer needs to be de-winterized to make the repair the dealer should cover the re-winterization. We are not talking about a high dollar service or repair. $199 is a pretty hefty price for some antifreeze and a bit of labor.

That being said, I believe in free enterprise meaning a business can charge what they want IF this was a walk in customer and was not a warranty issue. The customer would have the right to comparison shop for the service.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

If the repair is covered under warranty than all the steps to complete the repair should also be covered.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments that I'm not loosing my mind. I agree, a repair should include all reps to fix it and put the camper back in a safe status. And I also agree that a dealer should be able to set their prices for services such as winterizing. Let the customer decide how they want to spend their money. But this is a warranty repair. But this is starting to put a bad taste in my mouth and wallet with this dealer when we get another camper.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
...snip But this is starting to put a bad taste in my mouth and wallet with this dealer when we get another camper.
And you should make that abundantly clear. They may not make money on warranty repairs, but they certainly do when they sell a unit. Let them know if they don't straighten this out (and soon), they'll be selling one less for certain.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #8

Also, if for some crazy reason they wont do the warranty work unless you pay for the re-winterization, just tell them you will do it yourself for $8

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
It seems to have become common for many dealers to try and set their own rules when it comes to warranty work.
Haven't check our JAYCO warranty, but most auto warranties don't cover fluids either. If you have a radiator go bad you get the radiator and labor, but pay for any new coolant that is needed.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #10

One option would be to get them to agree that they will do the repair in the spring when you/they won't need to winterize the trailer after the work. Get it in writing signed by the dealer manager, though.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Haven't check our JAYCO warranty, but most auto warranties don't cover fluids either. If you have a radiator go bad you get the radiator and labor, but pay for any new coolant that is needed.
Sounds like Grumpy has a valid point here. If you had a propane leak would you expect them to fill the propane tanks at no charge so they can track down the leak?
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #12

Jesus... 200 dollars to winterize? Are you driving around the SSN Enterprise??

I agree with everyone that has said make the dealer eat it And call Jayco directly.

Worse case, re-winterize it yourself for 10 bucks. BUT if the camper breaks while in their custody - they just earned another several thousand in potential warranty work as they are obligated to take care of it while it is under their control. Sign nothing to the contrary. I doubt Jayco is willing to lose a customer over 8 bucks worth of product and if your dealer is, guess you know where to never shop again.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Jesus... 200 dollars to winterize? Are you driving around the SSN Enterprise??

I agree with everyone that has said make the dealer eat it And call Jayco directly.

Worse case, re-winterize it yourself for 10 bucks. BUT if the camper breaks while in their custody - they just earned another several thousand in potential warranty work as they are obligated to take care of it while it is under their control. Sign nothing to the contrary. I doubt Jayco is willing to lose a customer over 8 bucks worth of product and if your dealer is, guess you know where to never shop again.
So, how much does it usually cost to have a dealer winterize an RV?
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #14

I've been quoted 100 bucks. Obviously depends on the rig. 200 sounds very high.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Also, if for some crazy reason they wont do the warranty work unless you pay for the re-winterization, just tell them you will do it yourself for $8
X2. Too simple a job, 15 or 20 minutes. Not worth a headache. Give the dealer a negative review on Yelp.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Sounds like Grumpy has a valid point here. If you had a propane leak would you expect them to fill the propane tanks at no charge so they can track down the leak?
Actually, if the leak was covered by warranty, then the cost of refilling the propane tanks should also be covered if the leak is the reason that the tanks are empty.

For the same reason, if you had already winterized the system before the leak developed, then the cost of rewinterizing should also be covered. Then there is matter of almost 200 shekels to winterize being rather outrageous! I would be having a little talk with Jayco.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Curious. I never had to pay for fluids replaced in a warranty repair (nor would I have).
Old 12-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
X2. Too simple a job, 15 or 20 minutes. Not worth a headache. Give the dealer a negative review on Yelp.

X-3

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Not with Chevrolet or Mitsubishi.
They even cover non covered parts under warranty if removing and replacing or draining and refilling is required to perform the work.
Kidd280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #20

UDATE: so the dealer called today saying that they are gonna no to have to pressurize my water system to find leak. And that there would be a charge to re-winterized the camper. I told her I wasn't paying that fee to give me back the camera in the shape I gave it to them and that I considered winterizing as part of the solution. AND she couldn't guarantee that the work would be done by this weekend when it's supposed to get down to 11! And she said it wouldn't remain inside the shop. So I asked "are you going to throw water to it, hope,you fix it before it gets cold? And if you don't and store it outside, are you going to winterized it till it is fixed, dewinterized it to finish fixing it and then charge me $200 to winterized it again!!?? " she reminded me that me that my warranty runs out in a few weeks, I guess in an effort to pressure me to pay the winterizing fee. I gave her the option to annotate it and I'll bring it back when the weather turns warmer to fix under warranty...she didn't like that idea. She then said she would call Jayco to see about the dealer getting reimbursed for winterizing it as part of warranty maintenance. In about 10 min, she calls back and said she called Jayco. And Jayco is good with reimbursing them for the winterizing.

I am qucikly loosing faith in this dealer and they are not earning my rent business if I get another camper. Like the title says...is blowing my mind....