Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2020, 10:35 PM   #1

Question Blocking up a Jayco 195RB

Here in British Columbia we have a closure order on all of our Provincial and National Parks for the foreseeable future because of the mighty Corona. We presently have our 2016 Jayco 195RB in storage and that is where she will probably sit possibly for the entire summer. My question is - should I jack it up and put blocks under the frame to get the weight off of the tires ,bearings etc. I am lucky the trailer sits in a locked garage on concrete and is not exposed to sunlight at all but it may not see the road until next spring. It is presently winterized etc. but this is the first time in forty years that I have ever experienced not using a trailer for a year and a half ) from last November to possibly May 2021. Is there any advantage to doing this?

Thanks
George
George and Candace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:40 AM   #2

That is what they recommend for long term storage. This is from GOODYEAR.

StoringYourVehicleWithoutRemovingtheTires
Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires. If the vehicle cannot be put on blocks, follow these steps for tire protection:

Completely unload the vehicle so that minimum weight will be placed on the tires
Inflate tires to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity is not exceeded
Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level
Avoid moving the vehicle during extremely cold weather
Move the vehicle at least every three months to prevent ozone cracking in the tire bulge area, as well as “flat-spotting” from the prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection
Adjust inflation before putting the vehicle back into service
Old 04-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #3

I drop the tongue as low as I can and put cribbing under the back end frame. The I put the tongue up the max and crib the front end. There is still weight on the tires but not much. Top off the air the sidewall max ( I did not know you should overinflate 25% as per Goodyear) and call it good.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #4

If your going to block it up with the wheels up only place blocks right behind and forward of the leaf springs or you will end up with frame flex.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
If your going to block it up with the wheels up only place blocks right behind and forward of the leaf springs or you will end up with frame flex.
Yeah I tried it with fore and aft blocks and after awhile I couldn't get the door open.

I ended up using 4 sets of blocks, spaced evenly along the entire length of the trailer.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That is what they recommend for long term storage. This is from GOODYEAR.

StoringYourVehicleWithoutRemovingtheTires
Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires. If the vehicle cannot be put on blocks, follow these steps for tire protection:

Completely unload the vehicle so that minimum weight will be placed on the tires
Inflate tires to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity is not exceeded
Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level
Avoid moving the vehicle during extremely cold weather
Move the vehicle at least every three months to prevent ozone cracking in the tire bulge area, as well as “flat-spotting” from the prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection
Adjust inflation before putting the vehicle back into service
Ahh that's what I thought . I'm going to see if I can block the trailer up using the frame and get the weight off the tires if possible. We have to wait and see what the government does up here to see if they even open any campgrounds at all. Thanks for the advice, it's rough after forty plus years to possibly not going camping this season but we can always hope.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I drop the tongue as low as I can and put cribbing under the back end frame. The I put the tongue up the max and crib the front end. There is still weight on the tires but not much. Top off the air the sidewall max ( I did not know you should overinflate 25% as per Goodyear) and call it good.
Glad to be on this site - advice from the members is great - I am going to try your method if they don't open the campgrounds this year. Lucky that our trailer is in enclosed garage with concrete floors and is behind locked doors in a storage compound, the concrete will make it that much easier to proceed with your method

Thanks