Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #1

Blown fuse when hooked to shore power

Bought a 2008 Jayflight 28bhs. Replaced both 12 volt deep cycle batteries because the old batteries had not been charged for over two years. Took the trailer home and plugged in to check all the systems. Unplugged from the house and discovered I had no battery power. Found the 30amp fuse inline with the positive battery terminal blown. I have replaced three times and each time I plug into the house the fuse blows. Checked to make the batteries are connected properly which they are. White-negative and green/black-positive. The batteries seem to have a partial charge. Any ideas?
Family guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:44 AM   #2

What is the voltage at the battery WIRES with a good fuse and the battery DISCONNECTED and hooked up to shore power?

If that voltage is less than 15 volts I would suspect a bad battery.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

Batteries are brand new. Voltmeter says there good and holding charge when good fuse is installed. As soon as I plug in POP. Another fuse bites it.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #4

Hey, I'm currently having the same problem... kind of. We were camping for a few days and towards the end my tanks were full. I hitched up and took it down to the dump station, came back and unhitched. Last camping trip I had a bit of a scare when the trailer rolled about 6" after unhitching so this time I pulled the breakaway just for added insurance. I meant to plug it back in as soon as I finished but had 3 little ones running around and I got distracted and forgot...

Next morning I got up and started up the Honda to assist with readying breakfast. Ran the genny for about an hour and shut it off. I went inside for something and noticed I had no power. Went up to the batteries and saw that my in line 30 amp fuse and holder were completely melted. My buddy who is an electrician took a look and we discovered that when plugged into 120 (the genny or house) that the fuse will get hot and start to melt. He found that when plugged into 120 that the fuse wire attached to the positive terminal draws 38 amps?

I charged the batteries for about 5 hours using the gator clips that came with the genny The two six volt batteries were reading 5.6 volts each which seems pretty good? Regardless the fuse still melts when plugged into 120.

So the trailer is currently at the dealer. The tech strongly believes the batteries are still very low and drawing the extra amperage so he left them on charge all day and all of tonight... I guess we'll see.

On a lighter side... I did spend a number of hours checking out the 2015 Jay Flight 23MBH.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #5

When batt wires disconnected from battery and plugged in to shore power with a good fuse reading 14 volts.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family guy View Post
When batt wires disconnected from battery and plugged in to shore power with a good fuse reading 14 volts.
Same with mine. Also noticed that if I leave the batteries connected but pulled the two 30amp "reverse polarity" fuses at the converter that I have no issues. Basically I've narrowed the problem down between the converter and the batteries when charging on shore power.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #7

Yeah, I guess my next stop is the dealer. Hopefully I can get it resolved soon. Salmon are running and I got a few days off coming up. Over lander let me know what they find. Thanks mate.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #8

Voltage without the battery connected is OK. You state you KNOW the battery is hooked up correctly. That leaves the odds at 95% bad battery and 5% converter going bonkers at times.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:39 AM   #9

x2 on the drawing amps being too great for the fuse. 2 batteries that are dead or close too it will draw alot of amps to get back up to charged. It's best to use a separate charger if you have a dead pair. Once you get back to half or better the converter can finish the job.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
x2 on the drawing amps being too great for the fuse. 2 batteries that are dead or close too it will draw alot of amps to get back up to charged. It's best to use a separate charger if you have a dead pair. Once you get back to half or better the converter can finish the job.
Yeah that's what the tech was saying. The tech said he might install a circuit breaker on mine if it just ends up being the batteries. He took me out to the lot and showed me a few newer models that have a circuit breaker installed. He said that Jayco was finally installing them on newer models instead of just relying on the in line fuse which melts in situations like mine.

Basically if it is the batteries causing my problem and I had a circuit breaker then the breaker would have tripped and I could have just used gator clips ad charged my batteries and continued camping. Instead of my fuse completely melting and being put in a situation where even if I did recharge my batteries I would have to unhook them every time I turned the genny on for fear of fire...
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #11

Hey hey put the batteries on a charger. Hooked em up with a full charge and plugged in shore power. Fuse is good. So far so good. Weird you wouldn't think this would be a problem with new batteries. Glad I sorted it out, dealership couldn't get me in for almost two weeks. Thanks for the tips guys.