Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2023, 10:23 AM   #21

I like the plastic tub idea.

I got three 2x3 foot sheets of plywood and put simple angle brackets on it to which I connect with a bolt and screw hand tight in each one to form a three-sided "box". This allows me to break it all down into three flat panels.

For the outside, I wrapped each sheet of plywood in roofing tar paper (I had an extra roll laying around from a roofing project) and stapled it (heavy staple gun, not a desk paper stapler) around the edges to help any water to roll off it.

On the inside I used heat/fire-rated sound absorption material (typically come in 1x1 foot squares) stapled to the plywood.

Keeps it dry and knocks down the sound quite a bit. Both ends are open so air can blow through either direction. Works quite well even on our 100 degree days here in AZ.
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
I wanted to see what people use for generator shelters when boon-docking.
This is my generator
Pulsar Products GD400BN, 4000W... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHXLT5D9...p_mob_ap_share

I thought about using a card table with a tarp over it. I also thought a storage tub with some holes cut out.
I've been down this road a bunch. I used to do a lot of barbecue cook-offs and always had the TT with me and therefore always ran a generator as there was rarely RV hook ups. Lots of cookers ran generators so getting to sleep with all that noise became an issue. I've built several "shelters" using wood walls with sound dampening insulation (rockwool) and none have toned down the sound enough to really make a difference.

There are also exhaust attachments you can buy that supposedly will reduce the noise level. I've watched a lot of videos on tests being performed with these tactics and nothing makes enough of a difference to be worth it for me.

My advice is to buy a generator that is designed for low noise levels. If I ever need a generator again I will buy something like this
https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...BoCcMoQAvD_BwE
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
I've been down this road a bunch. I used to do a lot of barbecue cook-offs and always had the TT with me and therefore always ran a generator as there was rarely RV hook ups. Lots of cookers ran generators so getting to sleep with all that noise became an issue. I've built several "shelters" using wood walls with sound dampening insulation (rockwool) and none have toned down the sound enough to really make a difference.

There are also exhaust attachments you can buy that supposedly will reduce the noise level. I've watched a lot of videos on tests being performed with these tactics and nothing makes enough of a difference to be worth it for me.

My advice is to buy a generator that is designed for low noise levels. If I ever need a generator again I will buy something like this
https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...BoCcMoQAvD_BwE
the one i have is an inverter style and it is really Quiet you can stand beside it and still have a conversation. super impressed. I'm just looking to keep it dry on rainy days.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
the one i have is an inverter style and it is really Quiet you can stand beside it and still have a conversation. super impressed. I'm just looking to keep it dry on rainy days.
Gotcha I just used 2 sheets of plywood that were about 4'x4' each and leaned them against each other over the generator to form an A if you will. In higher winds I had to use a couple of screws but most of the time that was all I needed. It didn't take up much room in the bed of the truck (course I was pulling a travel trailer). Not completely waterproof but enough to keep the electronics dry.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 04:54 PM   #25

The more I read about portable gennies yes they should be dry ish
Most all of us have wood so we cam keep them off wet ground
The shelter issue is sonething else
We have several old backpacking tents and it wouldmy be hardcto cut the floor out and holes on the sides leaving the top supported by the poles
Or perhaps a cheapie nylon sidwewall less and floor less shelter
Seems the housing for portables is not in the same weather resistance class as permanent stanby gennies

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:41 PM   #26

Saw this post on home made generator shelter, more complex than the ones I have seen at street fairs and maybe a little heavy.
https://www.instructables.com/Make-a...rator-housing/
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:03 PM   #27

I use an adjustable aluminum camping table I bought on Amazon as a roof over my Honda inverter generator.
Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:19 PM   #28

For years I've just thrown a tarp over mine (even with the exhaust side) and use rocks to hold it out like a tent. Lots of serious rain but it never got wet. Thought about buying the mfg's version (Champion) but too over-engineered and expensive.
JimHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 02:09 PM   #29

I have an onboard in my RV, but when I’ve ran my generator outside to power things in my home during a power outage, I put it under a small forever table with a tarp, that rest halfway down the sides of the table, leaving plenty of room for ventilation.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:42 PM   #30

I use one of these on my generator at home in case it needs to sit out in the rain.
https://www.gentent.com/gentent-dire...oaAmJAEALw_wcB
OhioPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I always positioned mine underneath the side my trailer, at the rear with the exhaust blowing toward the bumper. I know generators are supposed to be placed a certain distance away from a trailer because of CO and fire hazard, but I guess I was OK living "dangerously". Over 5000 hours run time like that and I never had a problem.

When it was rainy with wind I leaned a piece of plywood against the trailer to protect my Honda from blowing raindrops.
I do the same. Find a nice spot under the rear of trailer, point the exhaust to the rear and let her run. Never an issue. If the rain got really bad, I thought I would simply place genny on 2 4x4 blocks. Get it up off ground.
So far, not enough rain!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:19 PM   #32

I made a shelter out of plywood probably at least 20-25 years ago. It's 3 sided with a top and folds up for easy storage and travel. I only use it for when I go deer hunting in November.

As you can see it is in need of some TLC, but it has kept snow, rain & sunshine () off the 3 different generators I have used it with. I think I just used 1/4" or 3/8" full sheet of plywood, (1 or 2) 1x2" 8ft boards, (4) small hinges, small nails and some primer paint. If I were to make it today I would use screws instead of nails as over time the nails started pulling out and I repaired using screws.

As now I mainly use my small 2000W inverter generator, I probably would take a look at adapting a tote to keep it out of the weather if I were to want to upgrade.

Good luck and be safe -
Attached Thumbnails
PB160003 (2).JPG   20200604_111438.jpg   20200604_111930.jpg  
Old 03-11-2023, 11:09 PM   #33
SUP

I leave mine in my truck bed with the cover down and locked in the bed.
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:34 AM   #34

Cheap Turkey blind

I have and use a cheapo Turkey blind, folds up super small and pops up easily. Lots of vents. Used mine for 2 months straight while building our cabin. Seemed like a perfect setup.
MJJPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 04:07 PM   #35

Generator cover

Air circulation is EXTREMELY important. I've seen generators "burn up" from overheating so be cautious and leave plenty of open space on the sides.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:56 PM   #36

I have never covered our Honda twins. I have always thought about it. I like the plastic tote idea. the cover is light to haul and would keep things dry. I even have one or two empty totes out in garage!
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:32 AM   #37

That’s a neat idea
Old 03-13-2023, 07:38 AM   #38

I put a folding camp chair over mine on the plug in side
Never an issue.
Can't see spending $100 on something I really don't need
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Don't forget to consider the drainage. Don't set it up in a low spot.
That can't be overstated... almost killed one once for that very reason.

I usually keep mine under the 5th wheel overhang, exhaust pointed out. I have, on occasion, put it under a pop canopy if the grade of the land doesn't cooperate.

I am really amazed that a unit the size of my Honda 2000 is able to put out 3200 running watts. Gonna have to do some research!
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
That can't be overstated... almost killed one once for that very reason.

I usually keep mine under the 5th wheel overhang, exhaust pointed out. I have, on occasion, put it under a pop canopy if the grade of the land doesn't cooperate.

I am really amazed that a unit the size of my Honda 2000 is able to put out 3200 running watts. Gonna have to do some research!
its a nice unit. Quiet (never heard a Honda to compare, but way quitter than a standard generator. 3yr parts warranty.

i looked at thse brand too maXpeedingrods https://a.co/d/62bScDj
GENMAX https://a.co/d/dBP2zDm

but ended up going with the Pulsar for the watts & compact size that fits under my bed cover when traveling. I also have one of their larger generators for home backup emergency use.