Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #1

Bottom trailer insulation sagging

Hey all. I recently bought my 2015 Jayco 28BHS. It has the thermal package. I noticed some of the black stuff sagging down around in the rear of the trailer. It is like a cross between cardboard and foam. What is this? I am assuming it is the floor insulation. I did not see any screws—how is it secured?

Thanks as always! This forum is great.

Andrew
2015 Jayco 28BHS, ‘99 2500 Suburban
RVNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A "little" belly sag in spots is normal assuming your referring to the underbelly cover material..., but check to make sure that none of the tanks (fresh, grey, etc.) didn't drop from it's support straps, and/or acquire a leak.

If required, you can use a couple self tapping screws to shore the black underbelly material (Coroplast) up but insure your screwing into the TT's metal frame members thus avoiding electrical, plumbing, tanks, etc..

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. The under carriage is on an extended warranty but I would like to avoid the service charge —while also avoid nullifying my warranty. I am sorely tempted to cut one of the taped portions to get a peak, and then retape it. My trailer sits on the side of my house acting as a additional space when we are not staying at parks or camping. This: the trailer isn’t contained in an RV cover. How long of self tapping screws are safe to use?

Thanks again.
2015 Jayco 28BHS aka “The Cabin”
454 Vortec Suburban 4x4 3.73 gears

—-aka “The Guzzler”
Old 04-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There should be some existing factory screws holding the Coroplast in place to use as a reference screw size. In some spots on my prior TT's underbelly I added a larger washer to the existing screw head because the screw was working thru the Coroplast.

IMO a zinc plated #8 or #10 x 1" long, hex washer head self tap/drilling screw should do the job.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:16 AM   #5

It helps to know that it is called “coroplast.” I am going to contact the warranty company this coming week. I haven’t taken it in a month and I am getting itchy!
Old 04-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #6

It's really not a big deal. Mine bellys all over the place. ( 38 ft) Above the coroplast is another bottom cover with insulation above it. The coroplast is more like a splash guard if you ask me. Sure it helps with the wind and maybe some drafts.. If you have a slide there should be access covers to the motors cut into the coroplast. Take it off and pop your head in there and see what you have. That's how mine is set up anyway. Good luck
groundhog72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #7

Use 3/4 or 1" self tapping screws. If fastening to the frame, pre-drill with a smaller hole first. If the sag is deep, better to cut a slot to check to assure that there is no leak nor has anything come loose. If you cut a slot you can just use black duct tape to seal it. If you want to cut a square, no problem. You can glue some paint sticks about 2" longer on each side to the top of the square you cut out. Then when you put the piece back in you can use 3/4" in screws with a washer to refasten. But seal the edges with duct tape.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote