Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

bounce

I get trailer bounce even with my equalizer hitch on my 2014 Silverado 1/2 ton. The question I have is what would work better Bilstein helper springs or Hellwig shocks? Or would you suggest both?
Thanks!

tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #2

2 things to look at:
1) Proper tongue weight, distribution of loading in the TT affects this.
Loading weight behind the axles will lighten your tongue load. Not a good thing.
2) Level or slightly low in front of TT. If it's high in the front this is most of your problem.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #3

Is the truck bouncing or the trailer? Is anything in the bed of the truck?
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #4

You are experiencing "porpoising," as it's called. Like eldermike said, take a look at how your trailer weight is distributed. (There's a reason they put the pass-thru storage in front.) If your water tanks are rearward of the axles, I'd advise you travel empty and fill them at your destination, if you can.

Also - your trailer should sit level when hooked to your tow vehicle. Being a little tongue-low is OK, but NEVER tongue high. If your hitch is the highest point, it can produce the bouncing you are talking about, and also induce wiggle. And too, you can't get the proper weight distribution and too much of your trailer weight will be thrown on to the trailer tires. Not a good thing.

And lastly - sometimes the harmonics between a trailer and tow vehicle are the culprit, when everything else has been done properly. If that's the case, try driving a few mph slower or faster and see if that helps. Sounds silly, but I have observed that on some roads (I-90 east across Minnesota, for one. Ugh! like a roller-coaster!)

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

Thanks guys! Yes, my trailer and truck are level. I am pretty sure most weight is on the tongue and not the rear. However, we do load the bed of the truck with everything including firewood. That could be the culprit. If it is would those items I mention help? If I did install one or both would I end up with a too stiff ride when not pulling my camper?
Old 03-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #6

Helper springs only work with a load and shouldn't jeopardize your ride. I have auxillary springs on my F250 (factory) and they don't even come into play without a load bearing down on them.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #7

Loading the bed of the truck is not a problem unless you are overweight on your rear axle. I have Timbrens on my truck but they do nothing unless I am loaded.

When you say your truck and trailer are level are you looking at it as a contiuous line from back of trailer to front of truck. That is common, but it's wrong. The trailer needs to be very slightly nose down no matter how the truck sits. From many years experience my best guess is this is your problem.

Adding anything to your truck to hold it up better will only make this worse because the nose of your trailer will only go higher.

Take your rig to a flat parking lot and measure from the front of the frame to ground and then from the back of the frame to ground. Adjust your hitch until you are lower in front. Your problem will then go away.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #8

I was getting a little extra bounce in the rear of my truck. I examined and adjusted my WDH to ensure it was set up properly, but I still got a little more than I was comfortable with.

I researched the Timbrens, the Helwigs, Firestone air bags, and the Roadmaster Active Suspension. I ended up choosing the RAS because it's a passive system, I wanted to bolt it on and adjust it and not worry about it again.

It did help a lot, and not just under load. The truck corners a lot better when empty now with the rear stiffened up just enough. The empty ride is not noticeably different, but it handles the load of my trailer better.

For reference, my truck is a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD and I'm towing right at my max payload with a couple hundred pounds under the rear GAWR.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #9

what type of trailer do you have. From observation it seams like light weight single axle trailers bounce a lot more than dual axle trailers.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #10

It's a double axle 29 foot BH. No side to side sway only the bounce.