Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #1

Brake Wires

I have a 2016 JayFlight SLX 23RB and on a trip this summer cruising down I-80, the trucks ABS light came on and the dash start ringing. I pulled over and the inbuilt brake controller indicated the trailer brakes where disconnected. 7-way plug was connected and all the trailer lights worked. While at our destination I metered out the trailer 7-way pin 1 ground to pin 2 trailer brakes and it was open. I found 3 broken wires right at the wire connector by the axles, 2 on the right rear wheel and one at the left rear. We repaired by replacing the connectors with crimp connectors. On our way home 530 miles later, we had the same thing happen again, this time the left front wheel had a broken wire. So we replaced all these connectors with crimp connectors and then slathered them with Silicon RTV compound, made sure there is plenty of slack and no strain on the wires. Also replaced the 2 missing rubber grommets where the wires go into the axle tubes.

It appears the wires broke right at the connectors just from the flexing of the axle movement.

I contacted Jayco support and they did send me schematics for the trailer wiring, however the wire colors don't match.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210908_095717.jpg   IMG_20210908_105807256.jpg   IMG_20210908_105818105.jpg  
Old 09-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #2

The schematics show blue and white wires, the trailer has blue and white going from the front to the axles, then it's red and white feeding into green. The brake magnets have 2 green wires.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0003949_BO_1_011818.pdf (202.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #3

I would suggest remove the RTV and replace with Liquid Tape. RTV has an acid in it to cure the stuff and that acid will gas off during cure, attacking the copper. That's the weird vinegar smell. I can't say for sure you would ever realize a problem from it, but ....

As far as the wire passing through the axle port, most big box and chain hardware store have all the parts drawers and one of them should have grommets that would be perfect. A slice made with a razor blade will give the ability to feed the wire through and a bit of WD should make it pop in without any issues. Seal up with some hot melt glue if you have it and it's a one and done.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Good catch/fix on your part

I had similar issues with my 2018 TT brake wires as well.

In my case the same wires that run through the axle tubes bounce around freely and over time the insulation becomes compromised exposing the copper wire strands......, no brakes.

Replaced the wires that 'were' running through both axles by attaching them to the outside of axles (protected with PEX tubing) along with some new 3M wire waterproof connectors.

My brake wire project at post #235 in the following thread:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-51005-13.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #5

I used Loctite clear Silicone. It's only on the outside jacket of the wires. Bare wires where only inside the crimp connectors.

Auto parts stores and hardware stores, if they had rubber grommets where all way to big. I found a big assortment pack at Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/180-pi...set-67582.html
Old 09-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #6

There should be no polarity on the brake magnet wires. Either way.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
There should be no polarity on the brake magnet wires. Either way.

Both wires off all 4 magnets are green.
The blue wire coming from the junction box by the tong of the trailer connects to the red wires at the axles, then to a set of greens.

I've have fixed it and tested Sunday afternoon.

My guess is there are only about 20k miles or so on the trailer. We don't take it off road or any place that would abuse it. If we had this problem, I would expect other people have too or will have.