Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

Brakes not working...wiring fault on trailer

2010 Ford F250 V10 with integrated brake controller
2018 Jayco JF 32BHDS

Driving home from Virginia, all working well...about 125 miles from home my dash shows "wiring fault on trailer". Traveling with friends I had them get behind me to check lights. One by one they checked out....BUT the manual brake lever wasn't engaging the trailer brakes. Since my lights worked I figured I would just push for home instead of pulling over and run the risk of maybe losing my lights.

Ok so now home I checked out the truck. All is fine. Hooked truck to another camper and no issues. The issue is with the trailer.

WHERE DO I START to troubleshoot the wiring on the trailer?
L/R blinkers work, brake lights come on when braking and hazards work...but no brakes.

When I connect the truck to the camper I get that same error...wiring fault on trailer...then when I press the manual brake lever in the truck I get a "trailer disconnected" error.

Please help. Thanks
Sscheitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #2

First thing I would do is to crawl under the trailer and check wire connections at the wheels. Its usually shoddy twist wire nut splice that have exposed wires which will corrode in short order. I had to re-connect by brake connections with quality crimp nuts and seal them with electrical tape soon after I bought my rig.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #3

I would replace any wire nuts and non-waterproof crimp connections under the traoiler with a heat shrink water proof crimp connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
image_20083.jpg  
Old 07-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #4

Everything I read tells me that it is the wiring either in the axle or within the drums. New fact....before I left I was greasing my bearings [ez lube] and noticed that one of the wheels was harder to turn then the other three. Not sure what that means. Going to jack her up tomorrow and pull that tire and check the wiring to and from the magnets.
Sscheitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sscheitel View Post
New fact....before I left I was greasing my bearings [ez lube] and noticed that one of the wheels was harder to turn then the other three. Not sure what that means.
If that brake was dragging more than the others, it might indicate that there is uneven adjustment. However, that has nothing to do with an indication of an electrical fault.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #6

If it were me, I would cash in on the bumper to bumper warranty on your 2018 TT. Let the dealer find and fix it. Then ask them what was wrong and check their work/upgrade as necessary.

2018 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2012 F150 Super Crew - 3.5L EcoBoost
14K Equal-i-zer Hitch
Davejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #7

Start with the simple items...pull trailer connector cover off and make sure the brake wire (usually bottom right as looking into the truck side, with notch at 12 o'clock) hasn't simply pulled out, and while there, snug each screw a bit. These get pulled out commonly.

Then I would move to what others have suggested...work from the tongue towards the axle and find the first rotten POS scotch lock and see if its not pulled apart, etc, replace it while you are there because they suck, then move to the next one. The wire will only run down one side of the trailer, then it will cross to the opposite side inside each axle usually.

Greg
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #8

I had the exact same problem, after a successful 2017 season and 2500kms on the trailer.

I pulled it out this year and on our first trip I had the same symptoms and error messages you are seeing. After crawling under it and checking everything, and checking all the connections in the junction box at the front of the trailer, I couldn't find a thing.

Fast forward: despite being embarrassing, it was the 7-pin connector and how it was plugging in to my truck. It looked plugged in, it felt plugged in, it was no different than last year, however this time I was getting intermittent brakes and error messages. The flap on the receiver on the truck was even holding the plug in place.

The issue was that the rubber casing on the male end of the 7-pin connector is tight at each terminal, and wasn't letting the connection fully plug in. While it looked ok, it wasn't. I realized I had another eighth of an inch that I needed to push this plug in, and it was hard - took a lot of pressure to get it to go all the way in.

I was happy with the fix, but it was humbling as all hell. Works great when you actually plug it in.... HA!

Try it - maybe the same thing.