Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #21

Thanks! Just checked this on the dirt earlier today when I was dropping off the trailer to the storage place. Even with the highest power (level 13) on the controller (Tekonsha p2) the wheels are not locking up. The brakes are just about the lock up the wheels, but cannot reach this point. When driving I cannot really go higher than 10-11 level on the brake controller, because the feeling is like the trailer would rip off the hitch

Is it absolutely needed that the wheels are locking up?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #22

IMO, if you have brake issues, the very first thing to check is the electrical, before proceeding to check the mechanicals. An electrical check takes all of 5 minutes. It's impossible to get proper braking (even with brand new, properly operating brake mechanicals) without proper voltage/current.

You brake controller should be able to provide 12 vdc to each brake when its set to its maximum setting. I find it easier to just use a clamp-on ammeter and clamp around one of the two wires (either one) that enter each brake drum. You should read close to 3 amps at each brake drum with the brake controller set to its maximum setting.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Thanks! Just checked this on the dirt earlier today when I was dropping off the trailer to the storage place. Even with the highest power (level 13) on the controller (Tekonsha p2) the wheels are not locking up. The brakes are just about the lock up the wheels, but cannot reach this point. When driving I cannot really go higher than 10-11 level on the brake controller, because the feeling is like the trailer would rip off the hitch

Is it absolutely needed that the wheels are locking up?
If this is the case, I'd say your brakes are probably operating around 50-60%. If your brakes were capable of operating at 100%, you would be able to easily lock-up all wheels at 20 mph on dirt. One things for sure, if they won't lock-up on dirt, they will not lock-up on pavement.

For normal, non-emergency braking, 50-60% is probably fine. However, if you're in a situation where you're applying the brakes in an all-out emergency you'll definitely be wishing you had more.

Your choice.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #24

Well, brakes are very important and I will not ignore this. I will have somebody to check the electrical.

Thanks!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #25

New brakes need to be burnished to break them in so they work at full capacity. Look up the process. It requires a number of stops at certain speeds. Good luck.
Sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #26

Does your brake controller have a "light electric" and "heavy electric" mode? If so, try the "heavy electric" mode.

My truck has both, and on "heavy electric" I am only running my gain at 3.0 and can get my wheels to the locking point on gravel, even when fully loaded and with a full fresh tank.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #27

Brake check

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
you should be able to immediately lock up, at will, all (2/4/6) wheels on gravel or dirt---at 20-25 mph. IMO, if you can't (with the brake controller adjusted to max), you've got a problem. The problem could be low voltage (less than 12 vdc) to your brakes (brake controller or wiring issues), grease contaminated brake shoes, or brake mechanicals (magnets, adjustment, etc.).

Be careful if you try locking up your brakes on pavement. Doesn't take much to flat spot the tires.

I purchased a 2015 F150 with factory brake controller and had a JayFlight SLX 185RB. Brake controller required 7.5 brake input. I traded to a bigger trailer, had to adjust down to 4.0 input. With my newest tt, I had to put input all the way up to 8.5 (out of 10) in order to get adequate brake performance. Same tv, different tt. My driveway in 120 ft long and drops 50 feet in elevation, brakes are critical, or everything becomes a watercraft.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Adjust the brake controller

Set brake controller to mid point, go about 20 mph and manually brake. Should slow down. Adjust until it locks trailer wheels. Back off one number and you are done.
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #29

Great Thread!

This was a great thread! You guys helped me get my brake controller adjusted perfectly and my Tahoe brakes like there's no trailer attached now!

THANK YOU!!
DJMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:09 AM   #30

I have a 2014 Jayco Eagle and just had my unit serviced top to bottom. New my brakes were getting pretty worn and they confirmed this. Had new brakes put on and also new wheel bearings while they were at it. When I got ready to leave the lot, I applied manual brakes and had basically no braking. The mechanic came out and tried it and said the manual braking would not work on the new brakes. Tested with the truck braking and said everything was fine. Said these new brakes were going to have to burn in to become effective. I drove home about 70 miles total and had adequate braking using truck brakes. However, I made a sharp right turn and snagged the break away switch and pulled it out. I felt a bump and thought I had hit a pot hole. I drove 2 miles down the road and a guy pulled up beside me and flagged me over. Said he notice smoke starting to come from left wheels. Sure enough, slight smoke was coming from that side. I waited until it had cooled down after I could not see a probem and started to pull out. This time the trailer brakes were definitely working! That's when I realized what might have happened and saw the switch unplugged. Plugged it back in and had excellent braking going the rest of the way home. My question is since I pulled it all of two miles not knowing the brakes were engaged(I measured the distance) was that enough to do any damage or did we just burn the brakes in?

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #31

Actually, I don't think you want your brakes locking up. If they do, you stand a great chance of your trailer jackknifing. Your trailer brakes should help stop your trailer but not lock up.
jimcisme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #32
bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcisme1 View Post
Actually, I don't think you want your brakes locking up. If they do, you stand a great chance of your trailer jackknifing. Your trailer brakes should help stop your trailer but not lock up.
Usually Jacknifing occurs when the TV stops quicker than what you are towing and the trailer pushes the truck around.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcisme1 View Post
Actually, I don't think you want your brakes locking up . . . Your trailer brakes should help stop your trailer but not lock up.
I don't believe anyone is saying you should adjust your brakes so they lock-up under normal or emergency operation.

However, if you test your brakes (in a safe, secluded area) and they're not capable of locking-up (especially on dirt), then your trailer brakes are not operating at 100% capability. For some this is important info to know. For others, not so much.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #34

Hi Bono

There is usually a (+/-) adjustment on your brake controller to increase or decrease the voltage to your brakes. It is possible your brake controller is set too low for the weight of your trailer. Our trailer brakes will stop the trailer and truck if moving slow. I would check this first since it is an easy thing to check and easy to adjust.
Jayflight Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #35

On non-slippery surface, adjust trailer brake to stop your vehicle from 5 mph to 0, but not enough to lock brakes. Your vehicle must represent 75% of your overall stopping ability. If you over-adjust the trailer brakes, you will wear them out quickly or even burn them up (and in some instances start a fire) going down long steep grades. The safest practice is to drive as if you do not have brakes on your trailer. Using vehicle brakes combined with downshifting transmission are most reliable.
Hayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #36

I am not a fan of adjusting gain on the controller until the brakes lock up when manually engaged. I like to run about 15-20 mph on a flat surface and make sure the brakes “tug” on the truck when manually engaged.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote