Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #21

Good stuff:
https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Preventive-Coating

RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
(snip)and spray them down with WD-40, Break Away, PB Blaster, etc...
Do NOT contaminate brake linings and drum contact surfaces!

skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Do NOT contaminate brake linings and drum contact surfaces!
X2 That would be a huge mistake
Old 01-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #24

This has nothing to do with the rust problem, but I noticed there are no brake adjustment slot dirt covers on the back plates. Shouldn't there be?
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #25

RichR: My 2020 HT came through without those covers as well. Over the years, I have seen new axles come through from the factory both with and without them. I usually put them on if there are none, though I haven't done so with my 2020 HT. I don't know with the Dexter NevRadjust axles coming through now if there is any difference in the need for those caps. I suspect that in the long time these backing plates and brake systems have been in use, if there was a problem if there are no caps, we would have heard about it. I wouldn't think there would be much debris getting in through those openings, and the brake dust and debris escapes out around the drum anyway, especially at the bottom of the drum.
This would be a good question to ask a Dexter tech.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #26

Wow OP, I thought I was the only one that crawled under my new TT and thought "that's a lot of rust".

I'm in CA so no road salt here either. My frame sticker says build date of 1-18-19 and "0293259 IDAHO" so I assume it was built there. Do they salt the roads in ID?

My rust isn't as bad as yours though. Guess I'll need to hit the wire brush, Rustoleum route before this gets bad.

EDIT: Why is my picture upside down?!?
Attached Thumbnails
20191227_173203.jpg  
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #27

Looks like your trailer was built in Jayco’s Idaho plant, yes they salt the roads in Idaho,

Another alternative to salt is magnesium which is more corrosive than salt, it is also more effective for de-icing the roads than salt and can be sprayed on the roads as a pretreatment for ice before snow storms. It also is sprayed down without having to spread sand so there is much less risk of broken windshields.

Most of the roads in Idaho are being sprayed with magnesium now, sand/salt is only used where the snow gets deeper and the sand aids in traction and is a carrier for the salt.

I agree with an earlier post that it is just surface rust, and does not pose a serious damage at this point. Not to say I wouldn’t be upset if I were you, but it is something that can easily be corrected. I say easy in comparison to rust that has pitted the steel.

Another characteristic of the magnesium is it doesn’t affect a good painted surface, such as automotive paint. LCI (Lippert) builds the frames for Jayco, so it seems to me that LCI’s finish work was subpar.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Only problem there is I'd have to sand prep primer and paint the whole thing. Rust reformer is much more forgiving on prep and will still stick better than the **** factory prep.
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
Was this unit ordered, or was it sitting on a dealer lot? Lot of dealers have RV's sitting on gravel, or even grass/dirt ...... lot of moisture under them. Power wash the frame, etc, than get under there and spray with rubberized undercoating. I was under our new SLX last weekend, and did take note of the amount of rust on the frame....1, it does not have the thermal cover like the Jayflight, so frame etc is exposed, allowing me to see it. I'm going to power wash before our first camping trip, than when i get to the campground, i'm going to bring a case of GM rubberized Undercoating and get under there and give it a good going over ..... figure i'll wait till the campground, because it will drip sometime, and don't have to worry about the driveway. PS, ours was sitting on the lot for quite some time, and being in the Niagara Region, it is damp!
No, this is not correct. Power washing wonít remove the rust, and do not add any coating over existing rust. You must remove/neutralize the rust first. You could wire brush, then spray with Rustoleum Rust Converter.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #30

The pressure washing was to remove / neutralize the salt. Not an attempt to remove rust.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #31

Again, hate hearing problems on new units. Couple of things, I would not spray a rubberized product on it unless you have 100% got the rust off. It will rust under it. That's why all these old cars we restore have the floors rusted out. Dealers sprayed undercoat on them and it held in moisture and rust them out. There are good rust stopping products. An automotive paint supply store is where you need to go. Also there is a very durable product called Por 15. But like some said on another product do not get it on you.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #32

I pulled off the under belly cover and the entire thing is rusted. Looks like I will be going back to the dealer. It's too much work for my back. Hopefully they fix it right...
Old 01-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
Was this unit ordered, or was it sitting on a dealer lot? Lot of dealers have RV's sitting on gravel, or even grass/dirt ...... lot of moisture under them. Power wash the frame, etc, than get under there and spray with rubberized undercoating. I was under our new SLX last weekend, and did take note of the amount of rust on the frame....1, it does not have the thermal cover like the Jayflight, so frame etc is exposed, allowing me to see it. I'm going to power wash before our first camping trip, than when i get to the campground, i'm going to bring a case of GM rubberized Undercoating and get under there and give it a good going over ..... figure i'll wait till the campground, because it will drip sometime, and don't have to worry about the driveway. PS, ours was sitting on the lot for quite some time, and being in the Niagara Region, it is damp!

you can if you want but if you under coat over rust you are only going to exacerbate the problem...

3m makes a great undercoating...

you must neutralize the rust... probably no Zeibarts in your area but if there is they have a methodology for doing it...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymracer View Post
Again, hate hearing problems on new units. Couple of things, I would not spray a rubberized product on it unless you have 100% got the rust off. It will rust under it. That's why all these old cars we restore have the floors rusted out. Dealers sprayed undercoat on them and it held in moisture and rust them out. There are good rust stopping products. An automotive paint supply store is where you need to go. Also there is a very durable product called Por 15. But like some said on another product do not get it on you.
When I restored my 69 Chevelle it was a good clean car but I did the whole floor pan in POR 15...great stuff!!!!!