Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #1

Brand new trailer rusted bad

I just picked up my trailer dec 10th, haven't even taken it out yet and it's covered and rust. They must have driven it through salt and didn't wash it off. I'm trying to borrow a pressure washer to clean it off.

Will the warranty cover the finish? Can I take it to a different dealer? the one that sold it to me is 100 miles away.

m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #2

It appears you are in Flagstaff. I assume your unit was recently shipped from the Indiana plant and traveled across the midwest to get to your dealer during winter weather. If that's rust from road salt, you need to get that cleaned off! It would be impossible to know which treatment caused it, but many of them are very corrosive. You could research automotive suppliers for the best cleanser to use. I would go the extra mile after cleaning it and apply FluidFilm or a comparable rust inhibitor. It's not a bad idea to do that anyway, I am in New England and have to do that with my vehicles every year.
I would be inclined to use a hand pump sprayer to apply the cleaner, and then use a garden hose to rinse rather than a pressure washer....too much pressure will cause you other headaches!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
It appears you are in Flagstaff. I assume your unit was recently shipped from the Indiana plant and traveled across the midwest to get to your dealer during winter weather. If that's rust from road salt, you need to get that cleaned off! It would be impossible to know which treatment caused it, but many of them are very corrosive. You could research automotive suppliers for the best cleanser to use. I would go the extra mile after cleaning it and apply FluidFilm or a comparable rust inhibitor. It's not a bad idea to do that anyway, I am in New England and have to do that with my vehicles every year.
I would be inclined to use a hand pump sprayer to apply the cleaner, and then use a garden hose to rinse rather than a pressure washer....too much pressure will cause you other headaches!
Thanks for the tip, I'm in CA right now I've never seen anyone sell a salt treatment before. I'll have to wait for amazon...
Old 01-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #4

That should have been caught during the PDI!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #5

News flash, a power washer is not cleaning that off. Heres what happened, it was built in Indiana and the transporter towed it half way across the country in a snow storm with the roads covered with salt flavored snow and ice. Living in the rust capitol of the country, Michigan, the only cure for what you have is to remove the underbelly material, have it lightly blasted, either a cob or shell blast, and repainted. If you plan on running it in the snow, repainting is not for you. There are other alternatives for that road. Since the outside looks like that you might want to remove your wheels and brake drums and take a look at the brake components and clean those up too and spray them down with WD-40, Break Away, PB Blaster, etc...
Old 01-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Heres what happened, it was built in Indiana and the transporter towed it half way across the country in a snow storm with the roads covered with salt flavored snow and ice. Living in the rust capitol of the country, Michigan, the only cure for what you have is to remove the underbelly material, have it lightly blasted, either a cob or shell blast, and repainted.

Here's a question, why didn't Jayco give the underside a good coating of undercoating after construction to protect all that steel from early corrosion?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #7

Wow, that's disgusting. I have 2-1/2 seasons on my 26B, and it looks a LOT better than that. I'm in Michigan, but never tow it on salty roads. And, it must be mine was delivered to the dealer on dry roads.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Eastwood salt neutralizer.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-ro...xoC5bYQAvD_BwE

Then I would go over it with a good coat of fluid film.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:52 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Was this unit ordered, or was it sitting on a dealer lot? Lot of dealers have RV's sitting on gravel, or even grass/dirt ...... lot of moisture under them. Power wash the frame, etc, than get under there and spray with rubberized undercoating. I was under our new SLX last weekend, and did take note of the amount of rust on the frame....1, it does not have the thermal cover like the Jayflight, so frame etc is exposed, allowing me to see it. I'm going to power wash before our first camping trip, than when i get to the campground, i'm going to bring a case of GM rubberized Undercoating and get under there and give it a good going over ..... figure i'll wait till the campground, because it will drip sometime, and don't have to worry about the driveway. PS, ours was sitting on the lot for quite some time, and being in the Niagara Region, it is damp!
Old 01-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Here's a question, why didn't Jayco give the underside a good coating of undercoating after construction to protect all that steel from early corrosion?
Money, money, money, money, MOOOO-NEYY!

Something else that works good is a paint called Chassis Saver or Frame Saver. It turns a little chalky after a few years of being exposed to UV. But whatever you do, DO NOT get it on you! It does not come off. Trust me! I did the underside of a snowmobile trailer and it never rusted after that. I did go over the exposed parts of the tongue with a semigloss enamel to make it look shiny new.
Another good product to use, that you need to do every year is a spray on under oil called Krown. It's made in Canada and is finally legal to be applied here in the states. Living close to the border I've had my vehicles done for years. 2001 Yukon and the doors, etc. are still solid.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
take a look at the brake components and clean those up too and spray them down with WD-40, Break Away, PB Blaster, etc...
Spray brake components with WD-40?

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
Spray brake components with WD-40?
Yeah, I should have specified moving parts pivot locations. Obviously not on the magnets, brake linings or on the brake drum surfaces. I could only get a couple of years out of a set of brakes and parts on my snowmobile trailers. After a while it got to the point of not having enough time to mess around with them and the weather never cooperates, so it was just easier for me to work a little overtime and just buy brand new backer plates all assembled. 4 bolts, 2 wire nuts and about 5 minutes per axle side and I was ready to go for another season.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2bandit View Post
I just picked up my trailer dec 10th, haven't even taken it out yet and it's covered and rust. They must have driven it through salt and didn't wash it off. I'm trying to borrow a pressure washer to clean it off.

Will the warranty cover the finish? Can I take it to a different dealer? the one that sold it to me is 100 miles away.

We bought our new 2019 280RSOK last March. After getting it home (75 miles) I was under the trailer and found it looked worse than yours. I was livid! We contacted the dealership via email and the same day the owner of the dealership replyed giving us the name of our service representative and told us to contact him. Before we could do that the service rep contacted us and arranged for us to deliver the trailer to him the next day! We arrived at the dealership early the next morning and dropped the trailer thinking it would be weeks before we saw it again. Image our surprise when two days later our service rep called us to tell us our trailer was ready! We picked it up the next day. We have 8000 mile on it now and are extremely happy with the unit and ecstatic with the service we have been receiving. Our unit has not been perfect, has been in for warranty service on mostly minor issues 3 times which have been completed in just a few days. We are thrilled with Manteca ?Trailer and RV in Manteca, Ca.
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2bandit View Post
I just picked up my trailer dec 10th, haven't even taken it out yet and it's covered and rust........snip.......Will the warranty cover the finish?
I would be all over my dealer and Jayco ASAP if it was my new TT......, especially not knowing what's going on behind the brake drums.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:29 AM   #15

I coated our 2019 class c frame and all metal parts with a product called FLUID FILM comes in spray cans at automotive stores. it is like the preservative the military used many yrs ago called cosmaline. will seal the rust so no more corrosion
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #16

So back to your original questions.

Yes you can take it to another dealer. The "other dealer" will tell you they will need to get prior approval if it will be covered at all. Given the timing ant the season I don't think they will cover it at all. Something like road hazard will be mentioned.

I bought a new 5r years ago. The purchasing dealer in Iowa bought it from a bankrupt dealer in Texas who got it from who knows. How many miles were on it I'm nor sure.

I agree with most here in that spray a rust neutralizer then a rust preventive coating.

Good Luck.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #17

It's only minor surface rust... I don't see any that's eaten deep into the metal.

If it were mine, I'd sand it with some fine sandpaper or use a wire brush in the heavier spots.

Then spray it with Rustoleum rust reformer and then a couple coats of Rustoleum black paint.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #18

Jayco got back to me and said it's the dealer's responsibility. Dealer moved it's now a 200 mile drive. For the time and expense in gas will be more than materials for me to do it and not have it lazily covered up to turn into cancer later.

My current plan is to spray it with baking soda mix, let that sit for a day, rinse it off. Sand as much as I can, spray with rust reformed then with fluid film
Old 01-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #19

You will probably be better off..."If you want it done right, do it yourself" applies here
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
You will probably be better off..."If you want it done right, do it yourself" applies here
Yeah the biggest problem is I've been trying to make all of the preparations to my trailer myself and my back was injured in Iraq. I managed to pressure wash the bottom yesterday with a baking soda mix, it took a few hours to get the gunk off. Today I can't move much and I'm losing precious sunny weather I could use for finishing up my solar.