Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #1

Broken door holder

Hi, I have a broken 90 degree door stop clip on my outside trailer door. Would it be a pretty easy fix for me to do? Thank you in advance!
#1Remembories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #2

What unit do you have?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:54 AM   #3

You can buy the replacement clips at your dealer's part store or through Camping World. You will also need some butyl tape as a seal between the clip and the trailer sidewall so the screw holes are sealed. Best of all situations is to get a new clip with the same screw hole spacing. If you go to your dealer, you can take the broken one in to compare.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #4

I have a White Hawk 23MBH TWP723.
Thanks Mike, I figured it could be something I could fix. They sell putty tape at the dealership. Would that be the same thing as butyl tape. Also, this is the second clip in about 2 and a half months that snapped off. I was thinking of getting either one made from zinc or stainless steel. Is one any stronger than the other. Thanks again, Scoutr2.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Remembories View Post
I have a White Hawk 23MBH TWP723.
Thanks Mike, I figured it could be something I could fix. They sell putty tape at the dealership. Would that be the same thing as butyl tape. Also, this is the second clip in about 2 and a half months that snapped off. I was thinking of getting either one made from zinc or stainless steel. Is one any stronger than the other. Thanks again, Scoutr2.
I think we're talking about the same thing. The butyl tape is a kind of putty, rolled out in a tapr-like shape with a paper backing to keep the roll from sticking together. It's what they use at the factory for those applications.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:32 PM   #6

Okay, sounds good. Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #7

Be careful about putting in a metal replacement. You may end up pulling the clip off the side of the trailer or the latch off the door. I think the clip is plastic so it breaks before doing greater damage. At the end of the day it is an awful design. We have a 31 QBDS and broke the first clip the day we brought it home and the replacement on the first camping trip. We haven't replaced it again as we want to figure out a better solution. Something with a spring to take the tension, without damaging the trailer would be ideal.
christopher.smith50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #8

We never liked the way the gas gun held the door out at 90 degrees, or the force with which it opened the door if you didn't hang on tightly to the door.

When ours broke, we just used a bungi cord to hold the door open. Now (with the awning retracted) the door opens all the way (180 degrees) to be flat against the trailer, and with the awning deployed it opens nearly all the way - probably about 130 degrees.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #9

Thanks for your input. I went to buy a few things for my trailer at the dealership. When I was down there, I had a look at a trailer like mine on the lot.They had put the door holder in the middle of the door so when you clip it back, it sits against a door stop against the wall of the trailer. When they installed mine, the person who put it on, probably made a mistake and put the 90 degree angled holder on mine. I think that's good advice about the metal clip damaging the wall. Talked about putting a second clip on so the door can be held all the way open. Bought a second clip in case this one I put on breaks. Thanks again !