Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

Broken gray/black holding tank outlet strap self tapping bolt! Look out! 264BH

Made the long, bumpy trip from I-87 to I-84 to I-81 to I-80 to stay at (an unnamed, we won't be returning to/or recommending to friends) CG in PA, then left the 264BH and drove the rest of our way to OH for a family get-together for the 4th. Had a great time seeing the family! Came back to our AWESOME home on wheels, checked the monitors and found the black and gray were 2/3rd's full so I went out to hook up and dump. ... found that the very lame, weak, unacceptable strap holding our outlet for our tanks had lost a self-tapping screw head at some point during our initial drive to PA. After checking the initial installation and sub-(my)standard, I realized that if we had driven any further, all of the seals and seams to both our grey and black water tanks would have started to leak ... further more, the way the "retaining strap" was set up, it was destined to rub through the plumbling at some point in travel. While investigating underneath I also found that all of the monitor wires for the holding tanks were dangling dangerously close to snagging anything as low as the stabilizing jacks. SOOO .... I tied all of the wires up around the axle, with "wiggle room" and I drilled out a larger sized hole and replaced the broken self tapping screw with a size over and after wards, wrapped a padded and taped buffer between the plumbing and the strap. Just wanted to let you all know to check that.
Otherwise, (minus the "less than great" CG), it was another great week of camping!
2012 Jayco Jay Flight Swift 264BH (retired)
2003 Chevy Suburban 5.3L, 3.73 gears (retired)

I'm not sleeping on the ground ever again.
Shaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #2

the self tapping screws and wires also happened to us and i did the same thing tied wires up and replaced all the self tapping screws. I found this before our first trip out with the new TT

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #3

Good for you Edows!
I thought I had checked everything. I mean EVERYTHING! Before we even left the dealership. I don't know if I missed this or it just "happened". Either way, I'm glad you're okay and we are okay. Hope this doesn't happen to someone else. Or if it does, I hope it doesn't go unnoticed! So glad my mechanic's instincts reminded me to pack a HUGE box of tools for our second outting with the brand new TT. More disappointing then having something break on the road is to have to buy tools you already own to fix something on the side of the road (or at the CG) and now own a second or third pair of the said tool. Worse yet ... having to do repairs on your BRAND NEW trailer after years of carrying tools with your old trailer and never needing to use them. Glad I brought the tool box! I think I'll do a more thorough inspection of everything before we leave for Rhode Island in two weeks.
2012 Jayco Jay Flight Swift 264BH (retired)
2003 Chevy Suburban 5.3L, 3.73 gears (retired)

I'm not sleeping on the ground ever again.
Shaner is offline   Reply With Quote