Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

Brought home our new 24mbh

We brought home our new 24mbh on Saturday. While putting items in the bathroom I noticed that there is not any caulking on the seam between the shower wall surround where it meets the tub. This seems like it would be a good idea or isn't it really needed?

Ron
University Place, WA
themickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #2

Not necessary because the tub has a lip on it that runs up behind the wall surround.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #3

Welcome aboard and congrats. Jeff is spot on about the shower
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #4

Not to worry. It's a two piece design, the wall section overlaps the tub surround, so water will not penetrate.
mtnbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #5

Congratulations and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #6

Congratulations. Hope you enjoy your new RV for years to come.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #7

Thanks for the info, I won't worry about it.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #8

Agree, but one issue I seen on my new 23RLSW is the top of the shower surround is not flush in certain areas and is not caulked from the factory.

With the shower head close to the top of the surround, it looks like water could get behind the surround and run down behind it.

So I went ahead and caulked the top edge with clear silicone.

May want to check yours.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #9

Many people suggest not caulking it since it's designed to be open, to allow some airflow in to dry up any moisture behind it. The bottom is overlapped by a few inches like others have said so no worries there.

I installed corner splash guards (with caulking as well) in my trailer as I found this was a common point for water to leak out and onto the floor. They work very well. I also found the stock shower curtain wasn't waterproof and water would seep through it and onto the floor, so I doubled up the curtain with a simple clear vinyl shower curtain from Walmart (cut to match curtain size) and now all water stays in the shower enclosure.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #10

I prefer to keep the moisture out from behind the shower enclosure. Wood and water, not a good combination. It should be able to breathe from the bottom I would think.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #11

Great question and helpful answers. I just took the maiden voyage in our 24MBH and had water running behind the un-caulked tub lip and onto the floor. Lots of water! Is this common!? @SkyBound where did you get the corner splash guards you mentioned?

Thanks everyone!
Mike
Minnesota
mwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #12

Sounds like a good idea, I'll stop by a hardware store and pick up some splash guards this weekend.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:21 AM   #13

The corner splash guards are available at many hardware stores. I got mine at Canadian Tire but I have also seen them at Home Depot.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
The corner splash guards are available at many hardware stores. I got mine at Canadian Tire but I have also seen them at Home Depot.
Thanks much!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #15

How is everyone likening this layout? We are in a small 17t hi lo and now we are up to three boys. Currently 4, 3, 0 The hi lo is still better than a tent but I might be in a tent soon if they keep growing at a fast pace! I am really trying to keep my trailer length under control to keep tighter camp sites open and this seems like the best solution although it's not really small either. And I don't see how the outdoor kitchen and bathroom entry for the kids is anything but fantastic. Any concerns I should think about?
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider68 View Post
How is everyone likening this layout? We are in a small 17t hi lo and now we are up to three boys. Currently 4, 3, 0 The hi lo is still better than a tent but I might be in a tent soon if they keep growing at a fast pace! I am really trying to keep my trailer length under control to keep tighter camp sites open and this seems like the best solution although it's not really small either. And I don't see how the outdoor kitchen and bathroom entry for the kids is anything but fantastic. Any concerns I should think about?
We only have 1 trip in it so far, next one is this weekend. Our family consists of 2 adults, one teen and one tweener. So far so good, the bunks are nice and big so the kids have a lot of room to their own. We love the living room size, lots of space on those rainy days. If I have to give any con's it would be there needs to be some kind of roof vent in the main living area for those times we are camped without power. A fantastic fan would be great addition if we can find a way to install one. Also we wish the side windows would open more. other than the side windows on the slide most of the windows only open 2 inches max.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #17

I did notice that the Jayflight 23mbh appears to have better windows and more ventilation. If they offered this floor plan on that model I would consider that option as I'm not concerned with weight. However we did buy two Honda 2000s last summer as those 90+ degree days proved to be a little much and we wanted the AC on. One thing I do now that would probably work here is to just run a single generator and run the campers fan without the AC on. If the windows were open that would hopefully encourage air flow through the camper. A single Honda thats not pushing any hard watts is pretty dang quiet.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider68 View Post
We like the 24MBH so far, but it is big for our needs. Our grown kids don't camp with us a lot, and we're waiting for grandkids, but the bunks are nice and like @themickeyd said the dining area is spacious. The other model we considered was the 23BHM. It has the bunks turned on the side and they're single. It was also smaller/lighter for towing. I think overall we'll be glad for the space, but coming from a pop-up, it seems gigantic!
Good luck with everything.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilder View Post
I think overall we'll be glad for the space, but coming from a pop-up, it seems gigantic!
Good luck with everything.
Ha!I wish I could get in that mind set, but we transitioned from a 38' Class A with slide to the 24MBH. Trying to get the wife to cut down to the true essential items hasn't been easy!