Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #1

Buddy Bearings

All of you guys that use buddy bearings, you know the ones that you just hook a grease to and squeeze. Be sure to exercise your lug nuts. I had a snowmobile trailer with them years ago and needed to change a tire, luckily in my garage, but broke two (2) studs in the process. They should be exercised at least once a year. Just my two (2) cents

Chris
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I use anti-seize on my lug nuts so they will never seize. Most auto parts stores carry it.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
I use anti-seize on my lug nuts so they will never seize. Most auto parts stores carry it.
I prefer to run my nuts dry. The friction between the taper and the wheel is what helps them stay tight. Trust me, I'm a believer in anti-seize...we live and die by the stuff at work but it has no place on wheel lugs. Remember to de-rate your torque values by 10% when lubricating threads as torque values are stated with unlubricated fasteners.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

I drive a big truck for a living. Without some sort of anti-seize on the wheel lugs one would never get them off again. Most big truck tire shops use some sort of anti-seize. They are torqued at 475 ft-lbs. I've been using anti-seize on every vehicle I have owned for the last 20 years or so and never had a lug loosen up. Of course the anti-seize I am talking about is for wheel lugs. It doesn't change the friction at all, it just prevents corrosion. I just put new Maxxis tires on my Eagle. One of the questions they they asked me was did I want anti-seize on the lugs? Yep! No doubt about it and they put it on. I double checked my Jayco Eagle Manual and my TV manual and there is nothing in there about lubricating lug nuts at all. Not sure which "Most if not all" manuals you are taking about. I use to work at a Land Rover dealership and we were required to use anti-seize on all lug nuts. I was trained at the factory to do this. Finally, I've driven over 2,000,000 safe miles in a tractor trailer with anti-seize on 180 wheel lugs and never had one come off. BTW, I have both Permatex and Napa brands of anti-seize and both say right on the bottle for use on wheel lugs. I use the Permatex as that is what many big truck tire shops use.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Team

I also use the never seize on my boat trailer lug nuts. Without it in this hostile salt water environment removal would be a nightmare. I do not use it on the TT lugs.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I also use the never seize on my boat trailer lug nuts. Without it in this hostile salt water environment removal would be a nightmare. I do not use it on the TT lugs.
If you had used it on your TT lugs you could have changed out that blown tire a lot faster and easier! lol
Old 11-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #7

Quote:
I drive a big truck for a living. Without some sort of anti-seize on the wheel lugs one would never get them off again. Most big truck tire shops use some sort of anti-seize. They are torqued at 475 ft-lbs. I've been using anti-seize on every vehicle I have owned for the last 20 years or so and never had a lug loosen up. Of course the anti-seize I am talking about is for wheel lugs. It doesn't change the friction at all, it just prevents corrosion. I just put new Maxxis tires on my Eagle. One of the questions they they asked me was did I want anti-seize on the lugs? Yep! No doubt about it and they put it on. I double checked my Jayco Eagle Manual and my TV manual and there is nothing in there about lubricating lug nuts at all. Not sure which "Most if not all" manuals you are taking about. I use to work at a Land Rover dealership and we were required to use anti-seize on all lug nuts. I was trained at the factory to do this. Finally, I've driven over 2,000,000 safe miles in a tractor trailer with anti-seize on 180 wheel lugs and never had one come off. BTW, I have both Permatex and Napa brands of anti-seize and both say right on the bottle for use on wheel lugs. I use the Permatex as that is what many big truck tire shops use.
You win. I'll shut up.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
If you had used it on your TT lugs you could have changed out that blown tire a lot faster and easier! lol
I can tell you one place I put it. The first time I rotated the tires on my 2500 which I bought in 2012 for the life of me I could not remove the rear wheels. The rims were frozen to the hubs. And the tires were like new, date coded 2011 so it was not that long since they were off. . I pulled, yanked, banged, and cussed and they would not budge, a first for me. Truly a head scratcher. Eventually I put a piece of wood against the inside of the wheel and hit it with a sledge until it broke loose. You can best believe when those babies went back on there was never seize where the rim meets the hub!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I can tell you one place I put it. The first time I rotated the tires on my 2500 which I bought in 2012 for the life of me I could not remove the rear wheels. The rims were frozen to the hubs. And the tires were like new, date coded 2011 so it was not that long since they were off. . I pulled, yanked, banged, and cussed and they would not budge, a first for me. Truly a head scratcher. Eventually I put a piece of wood against the inside of the wheel and hit it with a sledge until it broke loose. You can best believe when those babies went back on there was never seize where the rim meets the hub!
LOL. I no thats right my ram was the same way. I think it is the dissimilar metals. alloy wheel against steel hub. fresh coat of never seize every time I rotate the tires now.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #10

I guess to each his own, I do heavy haul for a living and we never use it on truck or trailer which usually grosses around 180k all day, never had a problem. I wouldn't use it personally on a tt but like I said to each his own
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I guess to each his own, I do heavy haul for a living and we never use it on truck or trailer which usually grosses around 180k all day, never had a problem. I wouldn't use it personally on a tt but like I said to each his own
Haven't you ever had a tire changed at a T/A or Petro? If so you've probably used it. They use an oil based anti-seize. I can't remember a time they didn't use it. How do you get the lug nuts off without anti-seize??? Answer, you have to cut them off with a torch.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Haven't you ever had a tire changed at a T/A or Petro? If so you've probably used it. They use an oil based anti-seize. I can't remember a time they didn't use it. How do you get the lug nuts off without anti-seize??? Answer, you have to cut them off with a torch.
This thread quickly got away from Bearing Buddys and onto greasing lug nuts. Anyone have any comments on Bearing Buddys? I have never used them on a travel trailer and would not even consider it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
This thread quickly got away from Bearing Buddys and onto greasing lug nuts. Anyone have any comments on Bearing Buddys? I have never used them on a travel trailer and would not even consider it.
I suggest you reread the original post. It was about exercising lug nuts because of corrosion for those who use Bearing Buddys. Using anti-seize has everything to do with that. The original post wasn't about Bearing Buddys per say.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #14

guess I better antiseize mine huh bill
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
guess I better antiseize mine huh bill
lol
Old 11-12-2014, 06:34 AM   #16

In my opinion the buddy bearings are a lazy mans way of greasing. I like to get the bearings in my hand and have a look and ensure they are good and greased. how often do you guys grease?
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:44 AM   #17
Site Team

Bearing Buddys were only used by me on boat trailers and in salt water they only gave me a false sense of security. I would never consider using them on any trailer that was not going under water at a boat landing.

On my fifth wheel they are repacked every other season.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #18

I like most of the rest of you use never seize on all lug nuts. Being a farmer, we have bought multiple pieces of machinery that had set around for years and rusted up the threads. After a time or two of wringing off or stripping treads, you become a true believer in never seize.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #19

Not sure it should be applied to the mating surfaces (face of the nut) but it's not a bad idea on the threads. I would think that lubricating the face of the nut would cause an increase in the axial load on the stud. My opinion.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #20

http://fleetowner.com/equipment/tire...debunking_myth

Intresting read.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote