Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Bugs and spiders!

Read a lot of posts about keeping mice out of TT with the famous peppermint oil in a cotton ball. I'll do that this winter, but what about spiders and other small friends looking for a warm winter home? Does peppermint oil keep them out also or are there other ways? I have already checked underneath for holes and stuffed with steel wool/caulking but the enclosed underbelly makes that troublesome.
Happy RVing
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #2

The area around your RV has much to do with what's going to get inside. I use pesticides around the trailer which is under a three sided metal building on 5/8 inch crushed stone bed that's several inches thick, which is also sprayed for weeds. Mice hate the rocks and bugs die before they get started inside.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #3

Use a cheap flea collar by drain plug of water heater and back side fridge for spiders and other bugs. I have done this for 2 years and works great. Use unscented dryer sheets near all doors and floor storage for other critters and no problems for 2 yrs.
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #4

I load my camper with dryer sheets every where, under every cushion, every storage compartment has worked in my pu for years
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

I use a general all purpose bug/insect spray on any part of the trailer that touches the ground. I spray the wheels, tong jack and power cord while in storage, and when we're camping, I also spray the stabilizer jacks, TV cable, sewer hose and water hose. So far, so good!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
I use a general all purpose bug/insect spray on any part of the trailer that touches the ground. I spray the wheels, tong jack and power cord while in storage, and when we're camping, I also spray the stabilizer jacks, TV cable, sewer hose and water hose. So far, so good!
X2
I even spray all through our campsite when I set up. A lot of parks have problems, especially with ants with all the food folks leave out. I keep a gallon jug of spray ready to go on each camping trip. At home in storage, everything is sprayed down. Never had a problem.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #7

So far done nothing about bugs. I don't mind the odd spider or two and the other bugs don't seem attracted to the trailer. All food is removed after every trip.

A bigger issue for us usually is the @#$%^& stink bugs getting in the house this time of year. One bounced off the light over the dining table and landed right on my wife's plate of spaghetti the other night.
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post

One bounced off the light over the dining table and landed right on my wife's plate of spaghetti the other night.
did you tell her?
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #9

If you want to kill and keep spiders out, use Demon WP. It will put an end to your spider and bug problem.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
If you want to kill and keep spiders out, use Demon WP. It will put an end to your spider and bug problem.
Haven't had a spider/bug problem yet but just trying to be proactive for this storage season. I like the spraying idea and also the flea collar. Think I'll try them both.
Have noticed a few spiders hanging out and don't want to invite them inside.
Happy RVing
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote