Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #1

Built in generator help

Help. We just bought a new to us 2012 M375 BHLT 5th wheel. It has the generator prep package and came with a Onan generator. The person whom I got it from(private party) never used the generator and from what I can tell, neither did the first owner. The unit runs, but the question is, how to I hook the generator to the trailer so it will do its thing. The generator is built in and not one that you would hook the plug in to. Thanks!
kirkgunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #2

I would think it is hooked up to the camper but you never know what someone did to it. It could be a simple breaker is tripped, could be a bad transfer switch or maybe the unit is not generating power. Maybe it really isn't hooked up. Start with tracing any wires coming out of it. Should have some going to the battery for starting and another set going into the camper to a transfer switch. From there check all breakers on the gen and in the camper. If it is hooked up and all breakers check out check for power coming out of the unit. If your not comfortable with electric, find someone who is. If its actually not hooked up I would start with an onan instalation manual for your model or find a qualified shop to handle it. Wired wrong could kill or burn your rv to the ground..good luck.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #3

It is not hooked up.

The owner I bought it from had the unit out and serviced it each year to make sure it ran. However, he never used it. No wires hooked up. Also, does not look like the "junction box" in teh compartment has ever had wires hooked to it. I have it at my brothers Chevy and Ford dealership, we have a call into Jayco customer support.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkgunderson View Post
Help. We just bought a new to us 2012 M375 BHLT 5th wheel. It has the generator prep package and came with a Onan generator. The person whom I got it from(private party) never used the generator and from what I can tell, neither did the first owner. The unit runs, but the question is, how to I hook the generator to the trailer so it will do its thing. The generator is built in and not one that you would hook the plug in to. Thanks!
The gen should be hard wired to a Auto transfer Switch. You should be able to see your shore power cord, the generator cord and the cord to the circuit breaker box all three wires going into the box. Unplug the shore power, start the gen and you should have 120 volts if the breakers on the gen are ON.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #5

This may help...

https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.c...r-Handbook.pdf
Old 06-21-2020, 05:26 AM   #6

Pictures please

I have the Onan manual, but it is not clear which three wires come from the generator to the coach. Does anyone have photos of the wiring hookup in one that is working? Also, where would I find the transfer switch in this unit? M375 BHLT. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
I have the Onan manual, but it is not clear which three wires come from the generator to the coach. Does anyone have photos of the wiring hookup in one that is working? Also, where would I find the transfer switch in this unit? M375 BHLT. Thanks!
As CAVIE said check the breakers ON the generator. You need to pull the cover and they are by the start prime switch. If he had it serviced they are probably off. The transfer switch is probably behind the basement wall near the area under the steps.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #8

The unit is not even hooked up

The issue I have is which wires from the generator to hook to the wires in the junction box on the trailer. The problem is that the generator is not even hooked up. The generator runs etc., and I will turn the breaker on when I figure out what wires to hook up to the trailer. That is my issue.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
The issue I have is which wires from the generator to hook to the wires in the junction box on the trailer. The problem is that the generator is not even hooked up. The generator runs etc., and I will turn the breaker on when I figure out what wires to hook up to the trailer. That is my issue.
How many sets of 3 do you have available? What model # GEN is it?

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:41 AM   #10

One set of three

I have one set of three wires.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #11

Quote:
I have one set of three wires.
So the Generator is a 4000? Is your rig 30 amp or 50 amp shore power? Do you have 2 a/c or one? If your rig is 50 amp and it's a 4000 it's the wrong size geny since a 5500 would have 4 wires. 2 white and 2 black.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #12

It is 50 amp. I have two AC units. And yes. It is a 4000.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
It is 50 amp. I have two AC units. And yes. It is a 4000.
That geny is only 30 amp so it is not large enough to run your entire rig. It MAY work with some creative wiring, but I would call ONAN to see if it will even close the transfer switch.. A 5500 or (50 AMP) has 5 wires.. 2 white, 2 black and a green. Obviously that is why it is not permanently connected.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #14

That is not good. I do have a 6.5 LP Onan in my shop. I guess I could replumb it and add another LP tank. And use that one. It only has 32 hours on it.

Tags
generator, generators mounting