Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #1

Question Bumper bike rack advice

Probably the millionth time this has come up but, we just purchased Jay Flight 24FBS, our first TT. I would like to attach a Kurt type bumper reciever for a bike carrier and two bikes. I have read horror stories of bumpers being ripped off and dragging down the road. A buddy of mine has a different brand with identical looking bumper with a spare tire and aluminum carrier with a hundred pounds on it and swears it's safe. When I talked to the mega dealer I bought it from they said they absolutely Do Not Recomend it. Are they being overly cautious to avoid trouble? Need advice from you experienced campers and yes, I will accept full responsibility for the decision I make.
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #2

Congrats on the new trailer!!!

As you have heard, it is not recommended because of the bumper having a very thin wall which can over time rip from the frame, allowing your bikes to drag as you drive down the e-way until someone stops you.

Best thing to do is look for a frame mounted receiver hitch (similar to your tow vehicle), or go visit a local weld shop and have them fab something up that is frame mounted which will allow you to use a hitch mounted bike rack.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #3

I had a custom hitch made by a local Jayco dealer on my '14 Jay Flight Swift a couple years ago. It cost me 500 dollars for parts and labour. It was bolted to the frame and sat under the rear bumper.

I had to bring it back twice for poor workmanship; not square, terrible paint, etc. Even after the "improvements" the metal tabs holding the hitch tube to the frame bent from just carrying 2 bikes. They did such a **** job on it and if I still had that trailer I would have taken it right off.

On this trailer, I am debating taking it to a welding shop and having the bumper itself reinforced so that I can safely use a bolt on receiver. The only other thing I would consider is getting an actual trailer hitch assembly meant to fit a truck that will fit the trailer's frame, and have that installed.

I would never trust a dealership to make their own hitch ever again. Dealership work in general horrifies me.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

I am not familiar with your particular TT. Most of the bumpers are not strong enough. Personally, I would find a local welding shop and have them custom build a hitch assembly, and have it welded to the frame rails. They are professional, do this all the time, they know exactly what they are doing, and will do a good job. Most of the time they will be much cheaper than the RV dealer, and the quality will be top notch.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #5

Don't attach the bikes to the bumper. Its not going to end well for you. The best way to do this is to get a custom hitch mounted on the rear of your trailer frame. My 29QBS was ordered with a factory installed hitch so I can simply mount a bike rack to that.

The other option that I considered was a DIY bike stand inside the camper.

Measure a piece of 2x6 lumber short enough to fit in your hallway and mount a "fork mount" on it. http://www.amazon.com/Thule-821-Ride.../dp/B000QV3NWU This allows you to take off your front wheel and bolt your front forks to the mount, giving you a solid platform to store the bike inside your camper.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Measure a piece of 2x6 lumber short enough to fit in your hallway and mount a "fork mount" on it. Amazon.com : Thule 821 Low Rider Bicycle Fork Mount : Bike Car Rack Accessories : Sports & Outdoors This allows you to take off your front wheel and bolt your front forks to the mount, giving you a solid platform to store the bike inside your camper.
I like this idea!
TobyMcCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #7

Looks like the nays have it. I wasn't even thinking of the bumper thickness, only the strength of the weld's. Love the home made stand idea. Thanks all for the input.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #8

Sounds like you've decided against. I'll add another nail in the coffin for you, just in case you have any doubts. Most bike rack manufacturers specify that their racks are not intended to be mounted on the back of a trailer trailer. The only exception I know about for sure is Swagman.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059;

Measure a piece of 2x6 lumber short enough to fit in your hallway and mount a "fork mount" on it. [url=http://www.amazon.com/Thule-821-Rider-Bicycle-Mount/dp/B000QV3NWU
Amazon.com : Thule 821 Low Rider Bicycle Fork Mount : Bike Car Rack Accessories : Sports & Outdoors[/url] This allows you to take off your front wheel and bolt your front forks to the mount, giving you a solid platform to store the bike inside your camper.
Now that's a great idea!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #10

I called Jayco about it when we first got our 2005 Jayflight 25RKS. They told me that attaching anything other than the spare tire will void the warranty, should there be a failure.

They suggested welding a receiver hitch to the frame rails (BTW, I have seen two bikes attached to the roof ladder).
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #11

My dealer installed a receiver on my rear bumper when I bought my 2015 32RLDS Elite, and said no more than 2 bikes. That said, the frame has extensions at the rear with hitch mounting holes already drilled in them. So I'm not sure what to think.

The bumper seems more substantial than others I have seen, but I'm still leery of destroying the bumper and/or my bicycles. And my spare tire mounts beneath my trailer, so I have on spare tire carrier back there. Maybe that's why the dealer did/said what they did.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #12

And as the plethora of posts found elsewhere on the JOF site - some of the bike carrier recommendations proposed by others include:

• As noted above, set-up that fits into a specially bolted/welded TT hitch receiver [because the TT 'bounce' factor is considerable, not recommended to use the bumper or ladder]
  • Set-up that sits over the TT front tongue (but watch-out for propane tank and turning clearance)
  • Set-up that mounts on the front or roof of the TV
  • If the TV is a truck and is pulling a TT, mounting set-up in the truck bed OR just laying the bikes in the bed (consider a locking lid so your bikes and generators are safe)

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
  • If the TV is a truck and is pulling a TT, mounting set-up in the truck bed OR just laying the bikes in the bed (consider a locking lid so your bikes and generators are safe)
I used to put the bikes in the trailer, but since we got the PU, they go in the bed. I made this rack from PVC pipe for less than $30. I have a hard locking Tonneau cover (which has to be removed for the bikes), but personally would not lay bikes down under it. At least not if you have anything better than Wal-Mart specials.

I'm actaully going to carry the bikes a different way here on out. I don't want to fully remove my Tonneau cover, just fold it up. So the bikes will go in sideways with the front wheels off and mounted on a locking fork mount. Note the price, no reason to spend $40 on a fork mount. Here's a non-locking alternative.

One thing I've noted is that none of this works for folks with low camper tops on their trucks, or who fill them up with other "stuff".
Old 07-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #14

Wow, lots of suggestions, I've only been a member for a week and already feel the love so to speak, so glad I found this site. Now, I have to ask, the locking fork mount, won't that need be bolted to the truck bed or if in the TT the 2x6 bolted or screwed to the floor? FYI, my dealer told me they would not weld anything to the frame as it would void the warranty. I'm beginning to wonder about them.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
Wow, lots of suggestions, I've only been a member for a week and already feel the love so to speak, so glad I found this site. Now, I have to ask, the locking fork mount, won't that need be bolted to the truck bed or if in the TT the 2x6 bolted or screwed to the floor? FYI, my dealer told me they would not weld anything to the frame as it would void the warranty. I'm beginning to wonder about them.
A hitch shop will.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm going to use a 2x4 fitted to the length of the bed. I'm not bolting it down. No need to. I also use a steel cable wrapped through the bikes, the handle of the case for my Automatic Chef, and my step ladder. It will take some work to remove our bikes from the bed.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #17

Quote:
. Now, I have to ask, the locking fork mount, won't that need be bolted to the truck bed or if in the TT the 2x6 bolted or screwed to the floor?
I don't think so. The weight of the bikes should keep it down. I would recommend putting the bikes between the front and the wheels... not in the back where they are more susceptible to bouncing.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:29 AM   #18

I use the bolt on receive to the rear bumper and it's been fine. I limit the carrier to two bikes. Despite the nod from the dealer, I am planning to add a few extra welded plates to sure up the 4" square bumper. After that, I'll feel pretty secure.
Cyranose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:46 AM   #19

Can't remember where I came across it, but there is a c shaped bracket designed for our bumpers and frames. It attaches to the frame, and goes around the bottom of the bumper to reinforce it. Runs about $60-70 if I remember right.

I will try to find it later today, though may not be until the next day or so depending on how busy work is today! Lol

This may be an alternative to those who already have the bumper mount hitch to reinforce it. I would still suggest a frame mounted hitch to start w/ though.

Found it! Runs $50.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #20

Very interesting. Has anyone used that Safety Strut product? Comments?