Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #1

Bumper mount grill

Hello fellow campers, I have just purchased a 2018 22BHM. It has a outside kitchen that takes up almost all exterior storage in this little trailer. I’ve had a dilemma for storage for my grill. My lovely wife has a SUV and takes the boys out camping. I really don’t want the dirty grill in the back of the SUV with the out mastif. So I welded a 4” x 1/2” steel pin on the bumper grill mount. Drilled an 1/8” hole into it for a pin to secure it to the mount. Then I used a strap from Bass Pro to go around it just in case the lid opens during travels. While the grill is stowed you need to remove the grease catch pan. I just put it in the grill when not being used. I hope this helps you all that are having the same problem. More upgrades to come in the fall. PS sorry if the pictures are sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
A92B40F1-12D3-40B4-B202-D50D49AEDE6D.jpg   8F251D09-84D5-4BF8-B098-B3B05718872B.jpg   BCCB2797-0EED-4CE5-BE90-B7A6F6C41AE3.jpg   75289251-4881-4B5F-85D5-006546042AA0.jpg   6FF0C0EF-E2BB-47F8-BFF5-2A0FEEBE1858.jpg  

Dan’oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

Currently looking at a 22bhm.
Are you happy with this TT?

With the murphy bed and outside kitchen there is very little outside storage at all. Is it that much of a problem?
grichards23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

You are correct, there is very little storage in this TT. In the fall I’ll have to add some under trailer storage for the outside rug, camp chairs, etc. We have the Baja package so it’s higher off the ground. There is storage under the bottom bunk, dinette seats, couch, along with the cupboards. The outside kitchen has a little too. It will take some time to figure out what works for you and your family and what you actually need in there for your trips or what you just store in there. The floor plan is great. It works so well with my family. It’s small enough trailer my wife can take the kids out by herself with her Sequoia. I will also have to make a place for a small generator on the tongue above the batteries. Or maybe in the rear, after I figure how to mount it to the frame. I’m totally happy with my trailer with everything but the manufacturer quality. There was/is a lot of little things that QC should have handled. I’ll post more pictures and ideas this fall when I start on upgrades again.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:03 AM   #4

Your reply makes me a little cautious.
Seems all makes are suffering from "they just don't make them like they used to."

I've looked at comparable Keystone, Forest River models but QC horror stories led me to Jayco. I was under the impression, while not completely immune from QC issues, they were better and know for higher quality.

Anything you care to elaborate on?

I'm also looking at a Winnebago Micro Minnie model.
One salesman told me, when it comes to quality, Winnebago is at or near the tops. This was comparing three models almost identical in price.
grichards23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #5

Well first off, I’m a craftsman, I’ve been in construction for well over 20 years. With that being said I pay attention to detail. Here is a list of issues that I’ve either fixed or need to have the dealer fix. All the upper cabinet doors didn’t open the same. The only drawer in the kitchen was installed crooked and would drag on open and close. One of the windows has a chip in it (from factory). The latches for the Murphy bed are crooked. The floor has two areas that are loose. The bathroom door didn’t latch because the door jam was 3/4” away from the latch at the center. The exterior storage locks are very poor. I will replace with new. The roof hat areas that I decided to reseal just because the calking didn’t look very good. With all that being said, I’ve fixed most of the items listed other than the flooring and the glass. I’m going to leave that for the dealer. Oh and the back splash needs to be changed because it can’t stay Stuck to the wall. With all this I still like the trailer because it makes my family happy. I did find a trailer that was all made of aluminum, cabinets, flooring, walls, ceiling, everything. It was very nice. I don’t remember the maker. I hope this helped.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:31 AM   #6

When I put my outside grill on my rear deck I put it too close to the house and melted the vinyl siding. Do you see any issues with heat with this type of mounting?
Tim15856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #7

We only stow it away when it’s cool and we are ready to transport. When we use the grill we leave it out. I did worry about that. I need to make a sticker for the trailer so my wife and kids remember. I also need to have my wife make a cover for the grill so that might help. You can put that on when it’s hot...
Old 08-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #8

We seriously considered the 22bhm. I really liked it, but the lack of storage was a major deciding factor against it.

We ended up going with a Jayflight 26bh. It's a little longer than we wanted, but we have ample storage.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:33 PM   #9

I like that one as well. I needed something small enough my wife could pull solo. It’s her first time pulling trailers.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan’oh View Post
I like that one as well. I needed something small enough my wife could pull solo. It’s her first time pulling trailers.
This trailer is the first for both of us. We have to drive and turn very slowly (and back in really slow), but it hasn't been a problem.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
22bhm, bumper, grill, storage, upgrades