Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #1

Bunk Bed Ladder?

Has anyone done a bunk bed ladder for their kiddos?
DevilCityAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #2

I used to be a carpenter. Unless you are somewhat skilled I would suggest purchasing one on Amazon or at Ikea. These are your kids and the lesson here is that the weakest part of your ladder is the most dangerous for them. The kids will bounce on it, jump on it, and maybe even more than one at a time will climb on it.

If you do want to do one there are plans on the internet for them along with all the cutting angles. But again, you need to have the tools to cut at the correct angle, multiple times.. I would suggest using one of the harder woods, pre-drill each hole, and for the steps, measure at least twice before you drill.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

First off, thank you!

I am pretty good at building furniture, etc and I have great tools. (I'm a Festool addict!). I just have to compare if it's worth it to spend the time and money to make one or just find something that works. However, if I make it, it will fit exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I used to be a carpenter. Unless you are somewhat skilled I would suggest purchasing one on Amazon or at Ikea. These are your kids and the lesson here is that the weakest part of your ladder is the most dangerous for them. The kids will bounce on it, jump on it, and maybe even more than one at a time will climb on it.

If you do want to do one there are plans on the internet for them along with all the cutting angles. But again, you need to have the tools to cut at the correct angle, multiple times.. I would suggest using one of the harder woods, pre-drill each hole, and for the steps, measure at least twice before you drill.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 AM   #4

My 28BHBE came with a ladder for the bunks.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #5

I do just about everything around my home except carpet. I built homes for years with a contractor and retained my skills. Some things however are better bought than built. This may be one of those things. Just a couple weeks ago, my wife wanted me to make lower shutters for our sunroom. By the time I priced it all out with everything, materials, screws, hinges, latches, paint..I found it more economical to buy them instead. Just my 2 1/2 cents!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #6

I try and limit my building time to things that are more custom. If I can buy it for what it would cost me and my build quality would not improve it, I buy it.
However, long story short, I build a lot of stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I do just about everything around my home except carpet. I built homes for years with a contractor and retained my skills. Some things however are better bought than built. This may be one of those things. Just a couple weeks ago, my wife wanted me to make lower shutters for our sunroom. By the time I priced it all out with everything, materials, screws, hinges, latches, paint..I found it more economical to buy them instead. Just my 2 1/2 cents!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilCityAngel View Post
I try and limit my building time to things that are more custom. If I can buy it for what it would cost me and my build quality would not improve it, I buy it.
However, long story short, I build a lot of stuff!
I hear ya! The money I've saved over the past years in labor is astronomical. I'm always building something in the shop. You sound like me, you like doing it..it's not a chore. So with that I'll say, build it man! So what if it costs more! HA! It'll be better quality and thought out better. Possibly safer as well! Be sure to post a pic when you're done. IF you go that way.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #8

Almost done with my new shop.
Half motorcycle, half woodworking.

I have another couple of weeks before I can stroll out and just start a project. I'm getting there. Tearing out an entire garage and redoing is a time suck!

Quote:
I hear ya! The money I've saved over the past years in labor is astronomical. I'm always building something in the shop. You sound like me, you like doing it..it's not a chore. So with that I'll say, build it man! So what if it costs more! HA! It'll be better quality and thought out better. Possibly safer as well! Be sure to post a pic when you're done. IF you go that way.
Attached Thumbnails
shop.jpg  
Old 09-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilCityAngel View Post
Almost done with my new shop.
Half motorcycle, half woodworking.

I have another couple of weeks before I can stroll out and just start a project. I'm getting there. Tearing out an entire garage and redoing is a time suck!
Nice shop!
Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
BCK

If you search for bunk ladder there are a bunch of posts. I built a custom ladder that has worked great. Try this thread, lots of options to get you started if you read through the posts.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...sbh-11454.html
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #11

Thanks! Just need a couple weeks. Need to move my main workbench in there and set up my saws, drill presses, etc.

Quote:
Nice shop!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #12

Great looking shop! A few years ago we had a major leak and had to replace both the garage and driveway pad. I got to rebuild the entire garage. While a lot of work, it was awesome. I agree with wanting to build everything, I've remodeled my entire house. To be it is always a time/benefit equation first. Since I enjoy the building I'd rather do that; but in the case of a ladder, a lot of work cutting, sanding, and matching angles. That is assuming there are no warp or bends in your wood.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #13

Used this one, has worked great for my kids, starting at age 4 and 6. Very easy to install and stores under the couch or on the bed when not in use.

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...ds=bunk+ladder

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #14

Thank you! Yes, that would work. I figured about 52", so I would hack off a slight amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
Used this one, has worked great for my kids, starting at age 4 and 6. Very easy to install and stores under the couch or on the bed when not in use.

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...ds=bunk+ladder
Old 09-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #15

A step up might work better. It's a tight space.

The construction would be easy if I used dowel rods, but not as easy on the feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Great looking shop! A few years ago we had a major leak and had to replace both the garage and driveway pad. I got to rebuild the entire garage. While a lot of work, it was awesome. I agree with wanting to build everything, I've remodeled my entire house. To be it is always a time/benefit equation first. Since I enjoy the building I'd rather do that; but in the case of a ladder, a lot of work cutting, sanding, and matching angles. That is assuming there are no warp or bends in your wood.