Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #1

Bunkhouse twin bed linens?

Hi all,

We have a 287BHS with twin bunks which are about 49" wide and 73" long. They have a radius (curved) corner. We're trying to come up with ideas for bedding -- and we have 2 issues to solve, and are wondering how others have found ways to deal with these:

First, forget about fitted sheets, as the radius complicates matters. (I know you can buy clip-on elastic straps to pull the sides together, and that's probably what we'll end up doing, lacking other ideas.) I've heard about buying custom sheets on Etsy, but I haven't found a maker willing to do the radius corner.

Second, a twin-sized comforter is too wide for the mattress, as they would typically drape over the sides of a typical bed. I've thought of buying summer-weight sleeping bags and unzipping them to become a comforter, but my wife isn't keen on the idea of the zippers -- even though it would be guests and grandkids, not us, using them. I also haven't found a bag that would even somewhat match the color scheme plus not look like a sleeping bag.

(I suppose the third issue is how does one even try to make and change these beds, but that comes after we solve the first 2.)

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:38 PM   #2

We have a 264BHW and the bunks are murder to put on/remove linens. For us, sleeping bags are the best option. But we have also used blankets and comforters and our guests have slept just fine. The bunks may not look like something out of "Better Homes & Gardens", but hey, we're camping.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #3

Break out the old Singer sewing machine! In the US Navy, we had sheets that we called "fart sacks". These were essentially huge pillow cases that were fitted for the mattresses. I went to the fabric store and bought some material and sewed them to fit the bunk and loft mattresses. When they need washing, I take all of the bunk and loft mattress down, remove the fart sacks, wash and replace.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:20 PM   #4

We didn’t have problems with a normal twin set in our 287BHBE. It wasn’t fun to make up, but the sheets stayed put once on.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randel J View Post
We have a 264BHW and the bunks are murder to put on/remove linens. For us, sleeping bags are the best option. But we have also used blankets and comforters and our guests have slept just fine. The bunks may not look like something out of "Better Homes & Gardens", but hey, we're camping.
x2. We also just use sleeping bags for the kid's bunks.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Break out the old Singer sewing machine! In the US Navy, we had sheets that we called "fart sacks". These were essentially huge pillow cases that were fitted for the mattresses. I went to the fabric store and bought some material and sewed them to fit the bunk and loft mattresses. When they need washing, I take all of the bunk and loft mattress down, remove the fart sacks, wash and replace.

We did the same but I bought king sheets and folded them over and sewed the them up.
Sambop is offline   Reply With Quote